Cost of Hay

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Cost of Hay

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 30, 2006 10:20 pm

Could anyone please tell me the going rate for a bale of hay if I bought 250 to 300 bales?

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed May 31, 2006 7:24 pm

Strewth Beachcomber, how many horses do you have?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Sounds like you are going to build one of those eco-friendly hay bale homes. Great idea!

Is it true that from October all new buildings in Spain MUST incorporate solar panels? If so ... about time too. However, how will that affect the cost of building, the cost of property, the ability to sell 'old' properties without the solar panels, will houses sold to be 'reformed' have to have them in the reformation AND will the government give grants?

Don't want to know much, do I?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:56 pm

Surely they're made from straw not hay.
Grouser

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 pm

errrrrrrrrrrrrr ... yes ... isn't that the same thing???

I'm now going to duck as it's dawned on me that it can't possibly be the same otherwise you would not have posted your reply. Sorry.

The rest of my post was sensible, though.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Gisela, Straw is the stalks from cereal crops like wheat and barley after the grain has been removed. It's quite course and light and is used as bedding on the floor of stables. It also has excellent insulating properties, hence good for house building. Hay is grasses, clover, wildflowers and in the best quality will have about twenty different plants and herbs in it, I believe. The bales are heavier and it is an animal feed.
Sorry to be such a pedant.
Grouser

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:16 pm

You ask our horses if there is a difference between hay and straw!!:D

Anyway we have now taken delivery of 400 bales of hay which, hopefully, will be sufficient to keep them happy for a considerable period of time.

jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jenna m » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:50 pm

Our fields here are nearly ready for cutting for what we call hayleage, if the weather holds there will be a good chance of saving it as hay.

Too far to transport to Andalucia though.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Quite a few people in Spain do feed straw - I think it is Barley straw - supposed to be edible - but I should imagine not very nutritious. I have never seen horses or mules or donkeys fed on anything else here in Spain. I am not talking about the top glass stables but the ordinary horse, mule, donkey in the street. The working animal. It would be nice to see these animals fed on hay :cry: