Second hand timber in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Second hand timber in Spain

Postby Niki Harrison » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:11 pm

Can anyone please recommend where to find reclaimed timber for beams and flooring in Southern Spain?

Thanks in advance.

Niki

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:00 pm

There is a place on the industrial polygonal at Velez Malaga that has all sorts, including old doors and beams, however he is not cheap.
Grouser

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:37 pm

i can get railway sleepers delivered, but they are about 50€ each plus delivery.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:40 am

And you moan about the price of a sandwich at the airport :roll:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:04 pm

dont be a muppet .. lol

timber is expensive in spain, i thought everyone knew that ? why are you comenting on the price of a railway sleeper ?

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:48 pm

spanish_lad wrote:i can get railway sleepers delivered, but they are about 50€ each plus delivery.
Which isn't that much more (£35 incl VAT) than they are in the
UK - which probably has more old railways to pull them from

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 pm

Spanishlad, sorry, I didn't mean to p you off, it was meant to be tongue in cheek :oops:

But anyway, if I wanted to buy railway sleepers, what would I use them for? :?

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 am

Solysombre, I bought 6 full size railway sleepers the other day. Cost me 31 euros each, free delivery, and cut to any length I wanted. They grade them so that was for the top quality as many are over weathered and very crooked. I used them in the garden instead of a wall, to create a terrace behind which I could put soil as the garden slopes. I was planning to use them seating too, but the creosote stops that! You can order them from any large garden shop even if not on show, though there they charge about 35 euros each. I went to the timber yard to select the ones I wanted and it was a bit cheaper. Lots around as they are replacing all the sleepers here with concrete ones. I've seen them used in gardens here sunk in the middle of gravel for effect and to provide an edge to a cactus bed etc.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 am

Can you tell me what size the railway sleepers are please?

You say "full size" are there different sizes? Sorry to be thick, but I thought they would all be the same size.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 pm

lis48 wrote:Solysombre, I bought 6 full size railway sleepers the other day. Cost me 31 euros each, free delivery,.
wow, thats cheap...or was i told a "marked up price" by the guy i asked ? hmm.. comission methinx.. :? :?
lis48 wrote:I used them in the garden instead of a wall, to create a terrace behind which I could put soil as the garden slopes...
yeah i´ve seen them made into like...edgeing for a pathway, edges of drives, steps on sloping land, over fireplaces, all sorts :) ur imagination is the key there..

as for length, i´d say around 2.5m long? and about 400mmx300mm ?? but again, they vary in size. they are HEAVY, i can just about lift them. they vary alot in weight too - some i could carry alone, some i had help. the do come bent and broken, so its ideal if you can select them from a stack. wear gloves to move them too - the creosote comes out of them.

Niki Harrison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Timber

Postby Niki Harrison » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks for everyone's reply but unfortunately we aren't looking for railway sleepers, we know of many places we can obtain them from.

Niki

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:27 pm

There is a large architectural reclamation yard in Mollina beside the motorway exit but I can't recall having seen timber beams - to be honest most old timber beams go straight on the skips as they're usually beyond salvage so you're maybe better off trawling the streets at night if you're desperate! It's possible to buy new traditional timber beams if you're after an original look eg the timber yard in Velez Malaga.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:19 pm

Quite true Hilly although much of the timber there is banana shaped due to their habit of leaving green wood out in the sun. You can distress the timber to 'age' it by singeing it with a blow torch while brushing it with a wire brush, just don't leave the blow torch pointing at any one place too long.
Grouser

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 pm

Possibly going down another false trail, but nowadays you can obtain some very realistic false beams. Viga Falsa or Viga Decorativa. They wont rot or attract infestations ! Quite easy to install.
One manufacturer in Jaen claims to have perfected the art of creating these imitation wooden items including beams. Unfortunately their web site was created by someone who is a bit over "exuberant". http://www.dymelsa.com/