ING direct - has anyone tried them

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

ING direct - has anyone tried them

Postby Ursula » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:24 pm

I have seen a lot of advertising for a bank called ING direct. Does anyone have any experience of this bank. are they any good?
Do they have bank charges or maintenance charges?

I am with Unicaja and they are charging me 6 euros every 3 months - maintenance charge.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:29 pm

I've used ING UK for several years now. You need to be aware that they are an internet only bank, useful for earning good interest whilst still having relatively easy and penalty-free access to your money but you still need to maintain a "normal" bank account into which you then have to transfer your funds as and when required from ING.
There are no charges etc associated with an ING account because it is purely internet based, no high street "banks", no cash machines, no cards, no cheque books.
I suspect your Spanish bank may charge you for the privilege of receiving your money from ING though! maybe somebody knows for sure?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

ING

Postby Julie » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:48 pm

ING has branches in Spain that are similar to the others, walk in type and I believe they are very good, but believe you need to be a Spanish resident to benefit there excellent bank rates check out www.ing.es

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:30 am

I wouldn't call 2.42% an excellent rate of interest. You can get more with promotional bonds with them but that ties up your money for ages and there are much better rates in Gibraltar if you want to do that. ING UK have high rates of interest (4.5%) but you can't keep your money there if you live in Spain as I found out after many years of banking with them. Does ING ES differ from ING UK and give you a cash card then? Where are their walkin banks? I've never ever seen one round here but maybe on the CDS?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:12 pm

lis48 wrote: ING UK have high rates of interest (4.5%) but you can't keep your money there if you live in Spain as I found out after many years of banking with them.
Currently paying 4.75%. I still keep my money there - just never told them I've left :wink:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Ing

Postby Julie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:33 pm

123 :oops:
Last edited by Julie on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:08 pm

If ING ES offer 5% for an accessible account, then I would def change over to them. They quoted me only 2.45% with 5% for a fixed term bond. I shall phone the Almeria branch cos it seems a brilliant deal.
Hilly, stay quiet about where you live as I made the mistake last year of assuming they were like a High Street bank and informed them of my change of address. Got a letter back telling me to withdraw funds or forfeit interest and despite my pleading phonecall saying I could give them a UK address if they wanted, was told there was nothing they could do now that I had admitted it. It was only 4.5% when I reluctantly withdrew so I feel even worse now that the rate has gone up! :cry:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

ing

Postby Julie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm

Sorry didnt realise you meant a account you use everyday, thats is 2.45 i believe, hubby says its as to be in a certain period and that we pay in so much so often, hes says thats 7% at the moment, but also hes thinks the 2.45 is good for a bank in Spain, sorry if i mislead you

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: ING

Postby Chalky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 am

Julie wrote:ING has branches in Spain that are similar to the others, walk in type and I believe they are very good, but believe you need to be a Spanish resident to benefit there excellent bank rates check out www.ing.es
I've tried this link several times and it doesn't seem to work. Do you mean http://www.ingdirect.es/ :?:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Yes thats the one

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:55 pm

Hillybilly, If I open an account with ING why would I need another "normal" account? Sorry, maybe I am being a bit thick.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:48 pm

Because it's an internet only account. No holes in walls, no cheque books, no cards. So the only way to pay money in and get your money out is via a linked high street bank account from/to which you can transfer your dosh. The ING website explains.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 am

I opened an ING account, and then discovered that Sainsburys Bank had an internet saver account with a higher interest rate, and easier access. With ING you need a nominated bank account for transfers, with SB you can use any account. So my ING account has £1 in it, and thats how it will stay. At the moment ING=4.75% and SB=5%

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 am

ING's offers are very misleading. They are currently offering 7% on new deposits but that only applies to the first month's interest, after that you go back to their standard rate of 2 point something. Oh and you can only get the 7% once per client.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Still, they seem better than the interest rate that Unicaja, Cajamar, Cajamadrid etc. etc. would give you.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:19 pm

ING now offer "proper" current accounts in Spain.
The plus - no commission charges and a small credit on direct debit payments to the likes of Telefonica, Sevilliana, etc etc.Credit and debit cards - no charge!
Minuses - you must have your salary or pension paid into your account and as they are Madrid based they do not as a matter of course have English speakijg staff on the help lines. A disadvantage if you have a problem. If my Spanish was better I'd switch tomorrow!
For an "account maintenance fee" free account try CAM - Caja de Ahorros del Mediterraneo - most branches on the coast have English speakers, their internet banking is very good and they are currently offering 3.6% AER on a three month fixed term deposit - better than ING for that term!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:18 pm

I have a current account ( Euros )with Cajamar, and they are offering 4.5% interest on a Sterling account. Handy if you are receiving funds in Sterling whilst living in Spain.
Hardworking resident !!