Telephone cabling

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mickhick

Telephone cabling

Postby mickhick » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 pm

When the house was built the builder pre-installed telephone points in most rooms and whilst he didn't put any cabling in, the conduits are in place and, presumably run to some central point? Our telephone is off of the Iberbanda modem and I would like to connect up from the modem to various of these telephone points, therefore giving me phones in several rooms. With me so far? If anyone out there has knowledge of phone systems I would love to know whether what I would like to do is possible? Also, would anyone know what the wiring is for the outlet sockets? I assume that they have some form of colour coding as found in the BT cabling? Thanks Mick :?

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 pm

Use pins 3 and 4 of the 6 way connector (RJ11). They are the middle 2 pins. Polarity is not important, but it is good practice to be consistent.
Your biggest problem will be drawing the cabling through the conduits.

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks Jazper, I have one of those long cables for tracing the conduits so I'll try pulling it through with that. 8)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:01 pm

using your tracer, feed it back from one of the empty boxes that you have a telephone facia on.. and find where it goes to.

do the same for each of the boxes you want, they should all meet at one central point, or may be run in series.

find where they all meet, or one end of the "loop" as it were..

and join a cable from your iberbanda to the central point, strip them all and join them together. leve long tails on the wires.

i would get the right tool for stripping the fone cable, its very very very thin.

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 am

I find teeth work quite well.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:50 pm

i find that a tool (looks like a crimping tool, a decent one), that strips all four internal wires and the outer casing all in one go, to be better...