NIE Numbers

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
sterlos
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE Numbers

Postby sterlos » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 pm

We are coming to Spain to get our NIE numbers. Do we need a translator or can we wing it ourselves and save some cash.
Do we really have to get to Cordoba police station for 6am or is that just scare mongering. :?:
How long does it take to get the numbers :?:
Sorry if these questions have been answered before I am new to all of this.
STERLOS
Hope the house goes through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:25 am

Using a translator who knows the system and paperwork required may cost money but it may also save you some wasted journeys.

I don't know about Cordoba but the queues at National police stations in Málaga province are horrendous.

The length of time taken for numbers to be issued varies drastically from place to place as do paperwork requirements.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:03 am

We found the easiest way was just to ask our Spanish solicitor to deal with them for us. The next time we returned to Spain they were ready and waiting. No forms, no queues, no nightmares for us.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:09 am

Don't know about the queues where you are but in Fuengirola it does vary with the time of year.

We went in September for our NIE and had to arrive at 8.00am to get a ticket. However when we went for residencia in late December there were virtually no queues.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:54 am

we got our solicitor to do ours the same as shukran did, he dropped them off and collected them the next time he went to the police station in malaga. a lot easier than doing it yourselves and if there is a problem with the paperwork he will no what they are talking about. if you diy be prepared for alot of sitting around

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:14 am

I understand that in many places applications by a third person are no longer accepted and that the forms must be presented, and the numbers collected by, the interested party.

This is because some lawyers have been applying for NIE numbers for non-existent people in order to facilitate their money laundering activities.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Rotten little toe rags - yet again they go and spoilt it for other people, just as well we got ours a couple of years ago.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:30 pm

I applied for mine at the Spanish Embassy in Manchester it was easy. no queuing.you just have to have all of the correct paperwork and money. you can get the forms on various websites. it took about 8 weeks to get the NIE paper back.
Jenny

sterlos
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sterlos » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks for your answers but i am coming to spain this weekend and will be going to Cordoba Police station first thing Monday and I would like to know how late I can prize myself out of bed and defo get the NIE number. :wink:
STERLOS

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:16 am

get there early and have a siesta later

Aimeej
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aimeej » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:20 am

Jenny Shaw

Thanks for your info

I downloaded from the Spanish Consulate site in Manchester.

Cost £22 and takes 10 weeks - I might drop in next time I am shopping in Manchester - no appointment needed apparently.

Aimeej
La practica hace maestro al novico

sterlos
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sterlos » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 am

I wish I had plenty of time £22 is much better than 4 flights to Spain and food and spends.
Good info for anyone looking for a house now go and get an NIE number just in case.
STERLOS

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:09 am

Beachcomber wrote:I understand that in many places applications by a third person are no longer accepted and that the forms must be presented, and the numbers collected by, the interested party.
Your lawyer will be able to tell you the situation in your specific area.
However he/she may tell you a porky if they simply don't want to do this
extra work.
Personally I would expect that as long as your lawyer has the notarised
paperwork to prove you have given them Power of Attorney, there should
be no problem with this.
I got mine through as part of the normal work the lawyer/gestors do
for house purchases.

If yours refuses, maybe that's a sign that they aren't going to be very
helpful/co-operative in the future .... get rid of them now rather than
later, there are plenty of others around and it's dead easy to fire them
(voice of experience speaking).

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:14 am

sterlos wrote:how late I can prize myself out of bed and defo get the NIE number. :wink:

not wanting to p*ss on ur chips mate, but you wont get it back the same day...it'll take about a week. if your lucky and you have someone speaking english (in cordoba, not likely) then they might send it thru the post...

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:51 pm

It took us about an hour to get our NIE nos. in Motril. We had a friend who speaks Spanish fluently with us ............
Sandramay

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm

Aimeej
It was the best way for us after a lot of hassle, The estate agent who we bought the house from said she would help us to get the NIE, but when we went to a town called Baza which was near our property we were told that that very morning it had all the appointments for that area had transferred to Granada which is about 100kms away from our place and what with getting up at the crack of dawn to get to Baza to be about the 15th in the queue for 8 o'clock in the morning you can imagine the mood we were in.
So we decided to apply at the Spanish Consulate in Manchester instead, the only negative thing is like you said it does take longer, they send it to the Madrid Consulate then Madrid Consulate send it back directly to the address you state on the form.
Do try and get yours in plenty of time because it held up getting our escritura, it took us 14 months to get ours and the solicitor said it was because we took so long to get the NIE.
I believe you can also apply at the Spanish Embassy in London, maybe elsewhere in the UK also?
Jenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm

jennyshaw wrote: it took us 14 months to get ours and the solicitor said it was because we took so long to get the NIE.
Funnily enough, if you had already had your NIE, it would probably have taken one year and two months..................... :wink:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:34 pm

Another way of bending the rules slightly - if you know that another nearby town has shorter queues and you happen to know a kind estate agent (?!), is to get a contract for a rental property in the area with the shortest NIE queues and take that along to get your number - it worked for me! :lol:

rymanskid
Andalucia.com Amigo

N I E numbers

Postby rymanskid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Dont recommend Fuengirola Police station either unless you want to be there at some ungodly hour of the morning I know from experience having just submitted papers for one, little spanish man comes out to give you number for the counter if you are spanish you get but only so many for none spanish people the whole system is just a farce

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:03 am

we joined a queue--had no spanish--45 minutes later we had the number! no trouble, no fuss, no stress and had a lovely time with all the chatting from the other queuers that we didn't understand but did greatly appreciate!
anyway, anyway, love from me.