purchasing a house

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

purchasing a house

Postby Pirateprincess » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:08 pm

HI guys and hope you are all ready for the new year!!!!I'm trying to buy a house or should i say a place in spain, i wanna go a little in land but thats tough too as i have 2 kids that need schooling and i'll need to work aswell can anyone give me a good place to look that has good english and irish residents or perhaps a good real estate

Gratias

Pirate :roll: :?
LOUISE M

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:31 pm

i'll need to work
not easy to find a job...
Coin /Alhaurin area might suit you.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Irish!
That's a hard one.

Inland work! [/b
]That's ni imposable and even the Spanish have trouble finding good work and head for the coast. Most of the young in our inland Town, have had to take work a long way from home and only get back for the annual fiesta's.

Inland Schools that cater for English children!
Not that I know of but I do know that the few British children in my area have learn'd Spanish very quickly.
I think it's a swim or sink situation.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Gosh!
we will be moving inland in a couple of years with the hope that my husband will find work teaching (he is a degree passed primary school teacher here)
Obviously he will need to travel - will it be ok?
anyway, anyway, love from me.

goodguy9
Tourist

Schools, work and real estate

Postby goodguy9 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:11 am

Annie, We found a house inland with 1casa, the agents organized the schooling for our kids and they found me a job too, I am a joiner though so maybe it was easier for me, what would you like to do for your job?

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:27 am

Pirate Princess have a look at the Puente Don manuel area near Lake Vinuela. It has a large Brit/Irish community and their kids are well integrated in the local Spanish schools.

Just 20 minutes inland from eastern Costa del Sol.

Several local Brit run business - although the Fish + Chip shop is up for sale after just 3 months - so some work is available.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 am

If you have a degree it will help to a certain extent - but you will need to be able to speak good Spanish to teach. (unless of course you want to work in an English speaking school).
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 am

Annie,

Teachers in Spain are civil servants and once qualified must pass an exam (set in Spanish, of course). The better your result, the more choice you have about where you will work, but you still may be sent anywhere. Unless your husband is or can become fluent before you arrive, he is unlikely to find a job teaching at a Spanish school.

There are many British and International schools, but they are mostly on the coast and in Madrid. The majority of them advertise in the TES - see here:

http://jobs.tes.co.uk/search.aspx

Put 'Spain' in the 'Keyword' field at the bottom of the page, leave everything else as it is and click 'Search'. This will give you an idea of what is on offer at the moment.

My wife teaches at an International school and she and 90% of her colleagues found the job first and moved to that area, rather than moving to a particular area and looking for a job. However, you don't have to go far inland to get away from it all and for property prices to come down substantially, so it's quite possible to live in the campo and work on the coast.

McT

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 am

If you were looking in the area suggested by Brenda, there are two International schools within reach. Almunecar and St George's which would be a little closer. It may be worth sending a CV and asking them to contact your husband should anything suitable come up.

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

1casa

Postby Pirateprincess » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 pm

i was just looking at there website, it seems good where abouts did you buy your place it would be great if you could help

:lol: :wink:
LOUISE M

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone. Thankyou marina.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Goodguy, Thanks for asking what work will i do.
I am a senior nursing sister here in England working on a Unit for people with mental health problems and challenging behaviour (personality disorders and the like) I imagine that however well I learn Spanish I will not be sufficiently fluent to pursue my career when living over there. DEFINATELY, I will want to do something and hopefully will find some suitable voluntary work. Does anyone have any knowledge of availability?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Annie
You are quite correct in realising that you need to do something other than being a barfly. If you NEED to work in order to pay bills etc it may well be difficult to find work which will pay enough. If you NEED to work in order to fill in time and give you an interest then you will have no problem in finding a good cause in which you can get involved.

However, with your qualifications in working with the mentally ill and those with challenging behaviour problems, perhaps you should ask andalucia.com if they need any more moderators, then you could continue to work on here in your speciallist field. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:58 pm

If you take a close look at the foreign population of the Costa del Sol, you will find that a good percentage of them have behavior problems or mental disorders,take this site for example :wink:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Lordy! Lordy!
Although a new contributer to this forum I have spent many a long year in a variety of chatrooms and have become quite adept at avoiding trouble/challenging behaviour etc. and get a perverse pleasure from watching the sarcastic responses of fools fly over my head.
The pernickety/nasty folk in here seem to be in the minority, pretty much a reflection of "real life" and for me, to be ignored both here and there!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:10 am

Not 100% sure of the situation in Costaland in Andalucia but parts of rural Spain and certainly Extremadura want teachers to teach subjects in English. The scheme is run by the British Council and is called the Bilingual Project. The aim is for young Spaniards to have a few clases a week in English to help their grasp of the language. (That's subjects taught in English not English taught as a subject - hope that's clear.)

I imagine that Spain - with its new thrust in international business and large Spanish multi-nationals looking to acquire other companies - want more of their young people to speak English. The scheme helps with relocation costs and pays well.

Look at:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/spain-edu ... t-info.htm

annie_d
Resident

bi-lingual project

Postby annie_d » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:48 am

Gisela,
Thankyou. A very helpful link that my husband has contacted and received useful information by return.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 pm

Thank you. It's nice to be giving help for a change instead of just receiving it. Good luck with everything.

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

teaching

Postby Pirateprincess » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm

would you think that you would have to have a degree in teaching or perhaps if you had references for schools that you had worked in with multicultural kids would that be enough to get a job in one of these schools :oops: :lol:
LOUISE M

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:07 am

You would have to have qualifications but I think some of the schools have teaching assistants where this may not be necessary.