uk voluntary NI contributions

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

uk voluntary NI contributions

Postby pilgrim » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:05 pm

I am sure that this has been addressed beofre, but I can not find the information. I work as selfemployed in UK paying tax and NI annually, do I need to keep paying my voluntary contibutions of 26 pounds per quarter?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:24 am

Depends on your age and the number of years contributions you have built up.

The government has proposed legislation, which looks like it will reach the statute book, that to qualify for full pension you only need 30 years contributions. If you have that already, you can stop paying. If not, sorry, you will have to pay if you want the full pension.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Self employed NI contributions are not the same as voluntary NI contributions. There are different rates and different "benefits". You would only be paying one or the other, not both.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:23 pm

voluntary contributions of 26 pounds per quarter?
That don't sound like you are paying into State Pension. :cry:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:53 pm

well actually its gone up 27.30! - this is on top of my class 4 contributions selfemployed in construction industry

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Class 2 contributions are for self-employed persons and are currently £27.30 per quarter.

Class 3 (Voluntary) contributions are currently £7.55 per week - £98.15 a quarter.

The government website calls both class 2 & class 3 contributions voluntary perhaps that is where pilgrim is taking the word voluntary from.

Q4: How much are voluntary Class 2 and 3 National Insurance Contributions?
A4: You can get the rates of Class 2 and 3 National Insurance Contributions here. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

Q5: How can I pay my National Insurance contributions?
A5: There are various methods of payment available. To see which method suits you please read pages 16 to 18 in the leaflet NI38 (PDF 1.2MB).

Q6: What benefits do I get from paying my National Insurance Contributions?
A6: To see what benefits you are entitled to please read page 10 of leaflet NI38 (PDF 1.2MB).

Q7: I am going abroad and would like to know more information about National Insurance Contributions. What do I need to know or read?
A7: Your National Insurance position depends on the circumstances of your departure from the UK and the country where you are going. To learn more about your National Insurance position while you are abroad please visit HMRC Residency pages.

Q8: Do I need to pay voluntary National Insurance Contributions while abroad?
A8: There have been important changes to the State Pension so before deciding whether or not to pay voluntary National Insurance Contributions we recommend that you visit the following website address for more information www.dwp.gov.uk/pensionsreform. If after visiting this website you still wish to pay voluntary National Insurance Contributions you can do so via leaflet NI38 (PDF 1.2MB).

gymcrazy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gymcrazy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 am

Does anyone know if i Should keep paying my national insurance contributions whilst livin ghere? I was self employed in the UK and just moved out here but somebody mentioned to keep paying my NI contributions as this will still enable me to use the UK healthcare, anyone know if this is true? or what the benefits are of me keep paying it?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:44 am

Paying the above-mentioned UK voluntary NI contributions will only retain your right to a UK state pension - it gives you no healthcare benefits in either the UK or Spain. If you haven't aleady done so get yourself a pension forecast to find out where you currently are in the contributions race.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:38 pm

The proposal to reduce the contribution years to 30 is only a proposal.

A lot could change, including the government, before this happens - if ever.

If you are likely to have a pension shortfall the best thing to do is to delay paying the voluntary contributions and hope that the situation is clarified before your deadline to pay them runs out.

Currently you can pay these contributions up to 6 years in arrears.

Sid

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:26 pm

The proposal to reduce the contribution years to 30 is only a proposal.

A lot could change, including the government, before this happens - if ever.
Agreed, but it is extremely likely to happen, particularly as all political parties suport it. Any party that vetoes it is likely to lose the support of large numbers of women.

Given the liklihood of change, and the fact that you can pay arrears for up to 6 years, anyone who has over 30 years contributions would be daft (in my view) to continue paying.

Alan

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

ni contributions

Postby johnwp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 pm

When I left UK I cut all my contributions, I have paid into the NI for 39 years and after I had a forecast took the decision to stop payment, however as the early respondent says I have 6 yrs to buy back if I decide.

If you are living and working in Spain , yet you feel you can afford to pay UK NI then pay it I guess.

Health wise you get 2 years I believe or register at a relatives or friends house as living there in the UK and you will remain on the NHS but not sure if this is a good or lawful thing to do, although I have heard some people do it as they do not register as resident in Spain.