Car Thieves active in Nerja

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
brenda
Resident

Car Thieves active in Nerja

Postby brenda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Have just returned from our first trip to Nerja since last Summer.

Parked near Donkey Sanctuary at the bottom of the Nerja-Frigiliana roundabout.

On returning to the car after an hour we were horrified to find car had been broken in to during our short absence.

Drivers door lock completely ruined.

Fortunately all the thieves got away with was an old VCR player waiting to be dropped of at the basura, but has left a very nasty taste in the mouth!

Residents as well as Visitors beware - this was not a hire car that you expect to be more readily targetted.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Sorry to hear that. Was the VCR on display in the back of the car or was it in the boot? Perhaps they thought it was more valuable.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:04 pm

It was locked away in the Boot.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 am

So what your saying is, that it is just like the UK?

:shock:
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Half the UK lives here anyway, if not full then part of the time :lol: There is crime everywhere, not so much (yet) in the inland villages but there again no one can afford to be complacent. Iwould doubt very much that it was a Spanish national who broke into the car. Not saying that the Spanish are all perfect, they are not, some are on drugs and desperate for money.

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:38 pm

Sorry Todd, the UK is much worse than anything here, I'm seriously considering moving here full time, I stay (when I'm here) behind La Manquita and we have all kinds here, famous musicians, factory workers, Gitanos, not much trouble that I've ever experienced and I've been coming here for years, believe me the UK is now a very sad place to be due to the succession of pitifully weak governments allowing all and sundry to run wild :x

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:41 pm

For gods sake it depends on where you live in the UK and where you live in Spain I would have thought :?

Kenny

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Campo Kenny, I actually have a friend called "Camp Kenny" due to his addiction to the famous brand of hirsute coffee :lol:
Anyway of course you're right to a degree, but you must admit it's almost impossible to live in a crime free area of the UK nowadays, my comments are based on the general atmosphere of degradation currently pervading the UK, that "New Jerusalem" that once "green and pleasant land".
I can't pick up a newspaper these days without reading about some knife wielding thug being given a "second chance " by some incompetant judge, muggings, alcohol related violence and any number of other social misdemeanors, the strangest thing of all is that it now appears to be that crime actually does pay, I read only this morning in the Daily mirror that a burglar (unsuccessfully) tried to prosecute his intended victim because he used "unnecessary force" to protect his property, the worlds gone mad!!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm

In our tiny village they have fiesta in June, this year when everyone was down in the woods having the Paella Grande, the local shop got robbed, they actually broke through a steel shutter door, which up until then the only crime on that scale to have had ever happened, the villagers were very distraught, and was talked about for days.
They later found out it was the Gypsies, who had been waiting their time for the fiesta, they took cigs and booze.
I can imagine the fiesta won't be quite as a relaxed atmosphere this year as last years.
Jenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:48 pm

If you read the málaga newspapers its a bit like reading the Daily Mail, most of us here live in decent areas so we don't see anything but there are problem areas all around the province.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:04 pm

There are good areas and bad areas in most of Europe if not most of the world!

I don't have any trouble where I live in the UK:- In ten years never had house robbed, cars have been ok parked on drive etc. Generally I leave the front door unlocked until bedtime and we often forget to lock the cars.

The worst thing that happens to me is that sometimes dog owners put the sh*t in plastic bag and then throw it into my back garden but that has only happened twice.

Regarding the car theft in Spain, if the boot/hatch is empty I always move the thing that keeps the contents hidden as if to say "nothing to rob here". Have noticed the locals seem to do this too. I would never leave a car with all my luggage in unattended in Spain.

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

Brenda re theft

Postby johnwp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:46 pm

You certainly stirred things up, life in Spain like anywhere has its robbers and thieves. coming from east London we had periods of theft and vandalism mainly aimed at cars, however I have seen nothing like that in this area.

Fortunately living away from the coast we see less such small thievery however I do here that Spanish thieves seem to lurk within the town halls !!! but a much grander scale of theft

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 pm

How true 8)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 pm

There are a lot of problems with drugs inland too as you may know if you read the papers, at least on the coast there aren't any gitanos (except for the flower sellers in the markets.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 am

Nerja has a well known drug problem - you can see people dealing on the Balcon de Europa first thing each morning. Maybe this is a contributary factor to increased car crime there.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:05 am

you dont see many reported muggings etc in the papers in spain because there are not as many reporters eager to report these things. no doubt that they are told "dont write that, people wont come and spend money here next year...

and drugs?? dont get me started ! alhaurin is full of cocaine. people do lines late at night on the bars in town. there are regular guardia raids on the bars where they have dogs sniffing it out... daytime alhaurin is a thousand worlds away from night time alhaurin.

i used to run one of the "night bars" in the town, open till 4am...i'd finish work and everyone would head down to the 7am bar (blamneys, next to casa paco's, an expensive fish resturant) and there would be people setting up lines on the glass tables nearly every night.

perhaps this is why crimes are never reported, because they mostly happen at night. perhaps if government statistics were made avaliable, we'd all be shocked.

tense n rowed
Tourist

Postby tense n rowed » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 am

brenda wrote:Nerja has a well known drug problem - you can see people dealing on the Balcon de Europa first thing each morning. Maybe this is a contributary factor to increased car crime there.
I first visited Nerja in 1978 and have never forgotten seeing local drug addicts laughing at a stray dog being tortured.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:10 pm

prime mover wrote:Anyway of course you're right to a degree, but you must admit it's almost impossible to live in a crime free area of the UK nowadays, my comments are based on the general atmosphere of degradation currently pervading the UK, that "New Jerusalem" that once "green and pleasant land".
Take a look at history Prime Mover and you will see that large areas of London in D1ckens time were 'no go' after dark. Some people always seem to have to depict the present day as the decline and fall of civilisation as we know it. Presumably they look back to their childhood and see a world of endless idyllic summer days. Pretty much all of the crimes you read about today have been around in various forms as long as society, they're just given more publicity today
Grouser

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:35 am

Following a similar break in to our van parked at Canuelo beach near Nerja, we discovered that money had been withdrawn from banks in Torrox and El Morche. if anyone is in the area on a Sunday afternoon and sees anyone acting suspiciously near the cash machines.... I am seriously tempted to take a camera next time and hide/sadly it clearly happens a lot in the area according to the guardia. This was the first time it has happened to us and was very upsetting.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:43 am

They cant withdraw cash without your PIN, Mariposa, can they? :oops: