Question re scrapped car

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Babby
Resident

Question re scrapped car

Postby Babby » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:02 am

I have a question for anyone that might know something about the car tax, procedures etc

A friend of ours had a car accident last year resulting in the write off of the car. They have kept the car and stripped it of all spare parts. It is still in their grounds. Will they be charged car tax? I heard that unless they get a piece of paper from an official scrapyard, writing off the car, they will still be charged car tax.

The other question is, does it run from Jan to December or, as in the UK, a year from the month you first tax the car, e.g. if you buy the car in May and tax it then it runs out the next May. I have heard that it doesnt matter when you buy the car, it runs from Jan to December. Which means if they still have the car they will get a tax bill for this year as they should have had it officially scrapped before end of December. If anyone can clear this up would be grateful.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:36 am

They will be charged tax until they get a "Baja", any Gestoria can this, it's not expensive but they will be charged tax until the date of the Baja.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 pm

ian is right, a friend gave there old car away to an english friends son, he used the car for another 3 years and never changed the owner, next thing a knock on the door and the original owner had to cough up for the back tax.