Foreign plated cars with no tax

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:17 pm

peteroldracer wrote:looks a little like sarcasm to me........I at least sympathise with you, and as you say, at least you made the effort - it is the ones that don't give a toss that get on most people's goats!

Thank you - nice to know someone is willing to welcome a newbie to the forum.

We both certainly 'gave a toss' which is why we had the car martriculated. In our small village with only about fifteen expat families, most of them haven't bothered (although three or four have bought Spanish cars) and one or two actually think we are mugs for doing it. They can't believe I made myself ill with worry over it.

Anyway, so what does it matter what other people (including one or two on this forum) think of our conduct - we did the very best we could and our car is now fully matriculated.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:22 pm

swerve wrote:Just out of curiosity scampicat how much did your gestor charge you for doing this service and also what other costs were involved.Hope you don't mind me asking but if more people knew the average costs involved they may be encouraged to do the same as you.
He initially quoted us 1500 euros, this included all legal work and taxes but not changing the lights or the ITV.

This may be too much for some, but not for us as we could not buy a comparable car for that money.

In the end he only charged us 500 euros. I think he felt a bit guilty for the mistakes that were made and the time it had taken.

Hope this helps.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm

What is a bit niggling is that there are some people who seem to stay "lucky" - i.e. not get pulled over by the Guardia despite obviously being in the wrong and for a long time: To do a bit of naming and shaming, there is a British 'P' registered Renault parked nearly all the time right next to the road from Velez-Malaga to Triana, clearly and boldly signwritten with "Casa Tinker B&B...etc". The car is obviously old enough to need an MoT, they also obviously live permanently in Sapin and run a business here, yet refuse to pay the basic taxes for running their car here! Surely they offer lifts to customers, which would mean having the proper insurance, let alone matriculation and ITV!?
Personally, I prefer not to leave things to chance as to whether I get caught or not - in any case I always think that if I fell in a bucket of t1its I would come up sucking my thumb........
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Scampicat.

Peter was right I was being sarcastic.

Given the fact that there are probably many thousands of Spaniards driving around in un-insured un-taxed un-roadworthy cars here I don't understand why so many people on this site make such a fuss about some Brit's doing the same. I don't condone it by the way but some of these people really need to lighten up.

If you search the archives you will find that whenever benefits come up there are very few posters who don't believe that all claims are fraudulent.

Mhic.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Scampicat welcome to the forum, never apologise on here (unless you insult someone needlessly :) ) Its only a forum, say what you want.

Peter wouldn't fancy staying at a place called Casa Tinker!!

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:40 pm

mhic, I assumed your post was meant to be humourous, but having seen some of the other posts I wasn't sure. I agree with you too about the number of Spanish unroadworthy cars and some without even driving licences!

Katy, thank you for your welcome and I take your advice.

People don't understand what a raw nerve they touched bracketing me in the same class as those who don't give a toss. As I say, it worried us both, but me in particular to the extent that I was getting ready to pack up and go back to the UK.

I also would like to add that I personally have never claimed any State Benefits so I have no axe to grind in pointing out that some are claimed quite legitimately.

Anyway thanks again to those who have welcomed me.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Hello from me too :lol:
Chris

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Thank you Mrs P!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 am

mhic - I know that there are all sorts of omissions and dodges by our Spanish hosts, but don't you think we British should show Johnny Foreigner what standards should be, what!?
We could have lessons in how to hold one's pinkie whilst sipping pink gin, how talking to your neighbour is much less noise polluting if you are nearer to them than 45 British feet, how much more fun arithmetic would be if the Euro was divided into 12 shillings and 240 cents.....all sorts!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:46 am

Sipping pink gin!!!! I dread to think what my neighbours would think if I was seen sipping pink gin while standing up close and whispering to them. Can you picture Drake standing with his bowls in one hand and a pink gin in the other, or Nelson mincing about on his quarter deck sipping a pink gin while lisping on about what England expects.

And there should be 20 shillings to the euro and 12 cents to the shilling.

Mhic.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:32 pm

There has to be some explanation as to why pink gin is THE drink in naval wardrooms? Something to do with "Kiss me, Hardy"? :roll:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 am

Or "your turn in the barrel"

Mhic.