Foreign plated cars with no tax

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Why the surprised look? Why would I pay uk tax for a car im about to put on spanish plates?

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Well I think they´ve started. Saw a Brit reg. car being "interviewed" yesterday.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Foreign plated cars are stopped here on a routine basis, most have now re-registered. I have heard that they are out and about in most costs's when we visited Benalmadena last year the person we had gone to see said the Guardia were routinely stopping British plated cars at rush hours and impounding them until they were changed.

pwwm

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

daneinspain wrote: Maybe if you are so annoyed by people driving around with out of date tax disks you should start your own gestapo
That is a great idea. I will volunteer for that. Can I wear very tight leather trousers? And can we make our hats a bit more flamboyant, like the Italian model. We could click our heels when we meet ladies, that would make them swoon.

Daneinspain, do you have a particularly small penis?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Love City Mikes question....reminds me of an incident a few months back. Mate of mine bought an oldish Ferrari for not much more than a new Mondeo. We were driving through Liverpool on a test run and stopped at lights. A bloke shouted the same question and my mate shouted back within about one millionth of a second "No it's f****** massive" :shock: :) The bloke doubled up 8)

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:40 pm

There are a lot of old guys here driving mercs and BMW convertables here, don't see many young ones with them. They usually have a thai female companion...some of them even have UK plates.

Seems as if we will have to cancel the vigilante group if the police are doing the work, that will please everyone (on this forum anyway). Could spy on the people on benefits though, probably more of them than there are UK cars.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:43 pm

citymike wrote:
Daneinspain, do you have a particularly small penis?
Why dont you ask your wife?
Last edited by daneinspain on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Also I still dont understand the problem if someone has english plates and the tax has run out but its insured and is about to be transferred on to spanish plates, whats the problem? You expect someone to pay a years tax for a couple of weeks driving? And even if they are keeping it on uk plates as long as it is insured, whats the problem?

I can think of things that annoy me a lot more than such a minor thing.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:25 pm

daneinspain wrote: Also I still dont understand the problem if someone has english plates and the tax has run out but its insured. And even if they are keeping it on uk plates as long as it is insured, whats the problem?
All UK insurance policies say something like "the policy is only valid if..the car has a valid licence....and has a valid test certificate (if required).." so no road tax=no insurance. No insurance = should be locked up for a good time, and fined the equivalent of ten years road fund licence.
In Spain, a car on Brit plates must only be used by the person who brought it into the country, for a maximum of six months - surely any use that exceeds that means also that it cannot have valid insurance?
It is the same morality as being drunk, yet "only nipping down to the shops/pub/bank" - hoping not to kill someone along the way, and feeling hard done by if stopped, breathalysed and banned.
But then again, if I am given 1 Euro too much change, I give it back - it's not mine, so keeping it is theft.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Ok but what about spanish insurance, on my policy it says nothing about mot or uk tax

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:15 pm

I still think the only acid test that matters is if you can say to yourself "If I am stopped by the Guardia Civil Trafico, or have an accident, I am absolutely sure that I am legal and covered" then you are OK. If you are honest with yourself, you are trying all the time to avoid paying out what you should, and/or cannot be bothered to be in the right. You may have time to think of all the loopholes when you are trapped in your house car-less because it has been impounded, or worse, whilst looking forward to the next game of "naked shower leapfrog" and "hunt the soap" in Alhaurin de le Torre's bachelor quarters, for driving uninsured...... :wink:

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 pm

My insurance broker tells me im covered having UK plates no tax and spanish insurance.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:56 pm

daneinspain wrote:My insurance broker tells me im covered having UK plates no tax and spanish insurance.
And you believe him............? Will he sign an indemnity at a notary swearing that he, personally, will pay for any claims and recompense you for any fines plus compensation for any time in prison if he has not told you the truth? Will he ****!
Personally, I wouldn't even trust a priest these days, let alone an insurance broker or an estate agent! :D
If it seems dodgy, it probably is dodgy!

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:03 pm

I hear what youre saying but its not in his interest to lie to me, hed rather not have any hassle so would tell me the truth he doesnt make more money out of a uk plated car than spanish

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:41 am

Daneinspain is right guys,

you can drive a brit plated car, on spanish insurance , with and ITV and be covered, I know this as a friend of mine was totally covered and paid out.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 am

Are we talking as an interim measure here or do you believe that you can run a Brit plated car in this way full time.

If this were the case then I'm bringing another one over straight away.

Also what about the sliding scale tax I've had to pay on the cars I've brought across at the time of matriculation?......do you escape these as well.

I would like to hear a definitive answer on this as I can't see the point in pratting about Spanish plating a car and the expense incurred if this is true.

Cheers,

Kenny

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:57 am

In my case its an interim measure as I have bought a few uk plated lhd cars in the past few years, they just happened to be uk plated i would have prefered to have bought spanish but thats the way it worked out.

Now when I buy it, it usually takes a couple of months before I get around to putting it onto spanish plates. During this time I have it insured and am fully covered.

Many people keep it on english plates or swedish or german and are fully covered but risk having their car impounded if the police feel like it. They will then demand the car be put on spanish plates, this is in the case of residents or if the police see the same car many times for over 6 months.

I also heard a rumour recently that it is now legal for residents to drive foreign plated cars but am yet to have this confirmed properly

cfc.Kimo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rip Off Costs

Postby cfc.Kimo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:18 am

I am stunned that Brits would want to grass up fellow Brits in a foreign country regarding motoring, when it seems most people are not sure of the facts.
I see it from a different point of view if the Spanish charged the same as Great Britain for putting an EU plated car on UK plates £80 plus MOT, regardless of age and value, I think everyone would put their UK car on Spanish plates. I have e-mailed a MEP regarding this matter.
Last year I was quoted €1800 for putting a 1998 UK car on Spanish plates.
Just last week a friend bought a Spanish Mondeo year 2000 he had to pay €380 just to have it put in his name.
:shock:

daneinspain
Resident

Re: Rip Off Costs

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:30 am

Exactly!

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 am

So what exactly is the law with regards to driving a UK plated car in Spain?

For instance say a person drove a UK car over here and stayed around 5 months before then driving to France for a few weeks, and then back to the UK for 2 months before driving it back here again.

Could the Spanish Police (who saw the car here during it's first 5 months) then impound the car as they may well mistakenly believe it's been in Spain the whole time?