what is the point of this forum?

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:23 pm

I think you have missed the entire point of my post Frog as your last response shows.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:59 pm

frog wrote:..i dont critisise the uk,..
Is that how they spell criticise in North Devon? :D Sorry frog, don't take it to heart.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:29 pm

On the Homepage under "Forum" it reads:

´Post questions, find an answer, meet new friends.´

Sums it up, doesn´t it?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Post questions, find an answer, meet new friends
More like.....Post a question,get a slagging off,meet a few morons!(not including all my buddies on here. :wink: )

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:51 pm

hehe nice one princess :D
that made me laugh
jayne countys most famous song,google it

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey Katy, I will not have a WORD said about Facebook. I love it. My children are now spread far and wide around the world and Facebook is a quick and simple way to keep in touch. Similarly, i have made a few (yes , a few) good friends on Andalucia.com and Facebook is a swift way to keep in touch.
We were planning on moving to Spain this year. Our house is almost ready but because of circumstances surrounding daughter 2, our plans have been postponed.
I have learned soooooooooooooooo many things from the forum and I am thankful for it. Solar energy, car business (Can you tell i can't drive?), wells,residencia, pozo negros.
So, in answer to the question, "What is the point of this forum?" Without it, my move to Spain would have been much more difficult.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 am

ok,to end this thread 'what is the point of this forum' i guess it is of no real use to me as i know everything i need to know and i only come here now as i am addicted to abuse
you may have seen my ad on the discovery channel asking for 2 pounds a month for mistreated frogs who cant punctuate anymore
please donate so i can once again communicate with a minority of stuck up morons who seem unable to understand plain english as there is no full stop

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am

Oh frog,i did see that terrible program on discovery...i got a leaflet thru my door too...

Is this what really happens to mistreated frogs who cant spell and use commas and full stops anymore..Its dreadful. :shock:
I have donated some money to stop all this.I hope you escape the stringing up...such a horrible crispy end for you and your family. :wink:

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

most of us have lots to do, and when writing on here do so in a hurry or when we are bored. to take the time to spell and get grammar correct we would not have much going on in our lives. I am good at spelling and grammar but do not have the time to take this forum so seriously.
For those who constantly gripe at peoples spelling, what does it matter is it so important.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Bubba - it seems to me that what you are saying is that you can´t be bothered to afford us the basic courtesy of taking a few extra seconds to write a literate post......even though you are more than capable of it. At the same time you criticise low standards elsewhere.

Can you not see that your attitude permeates society and it is this dis-respectful attitude to others, along with the belief that your life and "busy ness" is more important than anyone else´s, that helps to create the current aggressive climate where everyone is out for themselves and just cannot be bothered to consider others?

You may think it is trivial but I´m afraid I do take exception to laziness in communication, especially when you now announce its because you simply can´t be bothered to do it decently!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:59 pm

when is everyone going to learn..hes taking the wee wee out of you...its called winding you up totally and utterly ... :lol:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm

I thought he was a she and if he/she thinks this is fun then I wish he/she would play elsewhere frankly. Whether joking or not its here for everyone to see and I am not so sure its a joke anyway reading through some of the posts written.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:17 pm

well,male or female it matters not.
every post this guy(i think hes a guy)writes,he is shot down in flames...He does post seriously sometimes, when he feels the need to.
Why cant you see he is treating everyone who is horrible to him,they way they deserve to be treated with the exception of mirandmac(i think that was Bubba)you all dish it out to him,and you just cant give it back.I find he tells it like it is,He is picked up on his punctuation on most of his posts,i too would be fed up with it(like im sure he is)so of course he is going to retaliate at every given chance.
why cant you lot see that sometimes you nit pick and its not the be all and end all if the puctuation isnt there.the guy speaks plain english,and you can all understand it(as much as you moan on about lack of punct)
I think you will find,if you give the guy a break, his negativity towards you all will stop,and you will gain his respect.
I wish the lot of you would stop moaning on about him,I think he knows how you feel,the more you moan on,the worse he is..give him a break it all gets a bit boring. :oops:
He has never once been horrible or sarcastic towards me,I find him good fun,and he answers my serious posts with decency.you get treated how you treat others...I think majority of you dish it out,and expect him to hide in a corner somewhere.when are you all going to learn,that just isnt going to happen! :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Can you refer me to a post of mine where I have been at all unpleasant to him/her or done any of the things you refer to, as I do not recall doing so?

Yes I happen to think grammar and spelling are important, but that is all I have commented on in any kind of personal sense on this forum and it is not an issue I have personalised to anyone, it applies to all, myself included.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:52 pm

everyone can read what I write, I think you are over the top, dont take yourself so seriously, this forum is a casual, sometimes fun forum for everybody. It is slightly **** to keep picking on peoples spelling and stuff, it is like telling someone how to speak. you really do not have the right to tell anyone how to write, spell, puncuate. Trying to be superior is an awful trait.
There are worse things to worry about in the world. your perfectionist hang ups would be appreciated there maybe not here.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm

jool wrote
Can you refer me to a post of mine where I have been at all unpleasant to him/her or done any of the things you refer to, as I do not recall doing so?
Nope,i didnt state that you had been unpleasant,i stated that people nit pick and whinge about the punctuation ..etc..
and it is not an issue I have personalised to anyone
you and others regularly comment and whine about grammar where bubba is concerned and thats exactly whats happening here. :roll:
Perhaps we are not all fortunate to be completely correct in our use of punctuation and spelling.
Frankly,as long as the person making the post gets his{her point across who cares if there are spelling mistakes and punct probs...
:roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm

I am not trying to be superior in any way, nor do I think myself better than anyone else, including you. I just firmly believe that its a matter of respect and that everything anyone does or says has an impact on everyone else........chaos theory etc...

I defy you to find a single post where I have ever picked on or told off any individual for spelling or grammar,as you imply, only posts where I say that I think spelling and grammar matter in any public arena and for good communication. I am not petty like that. I came to this forum as the standards of debate and comment were higher than many others and I´d like to keep it that way as so many forums degenerate into barely literate attacks on others. It is nothing to do with being perfectionist at all and my opinion is as valid as anyone else.
you really do not have the right to tell anyone how to write, spell, puncuate. Trying to be superior is an awful trait.
There are worse things to worry about in the world. your perfectionist hang ups would be appreciated there maybe not here.
I don´t understand the last sentence above at all and I have not assumed any right to tell others how to write, spell or punctuate, the rules of the english language have already done that! I am simply saying I think meeting those standards or following those rules matters......and you clearly don´t think they do.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Can you not see that your attitude permeates society and it is this dis-respectful attitude to others,
all because he doesnt use punctuation :roll:

every post to do with punctuation jool you do not slag Bubba in a direct manner,but seem to put it in a way that is extremely patronising.

Im not trawling thru your posts,I cant be bothered.
Just reading through this section is enough.
Anyway,the other half of the grammar police will be here shortly to back you up.
Grammar is important when writing letters and docs etc..but this IS a forum and you should and can write how and what you like.
If he annoys you so much,why do you read his posts. :?
Me personally,there are around 2 people on this forum who i try to avoid as they make me cringe.I have done it pretty successfully upto now,may i suggest you do the same,then there will be no ill feeling between you all. :wink:

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm

You do think you are superior, by telling people that this and that are incorrect. by saying this you are telling people they are wrong, but who are you, just a poster like myself. I bet people do a runner when they see you coming if you are like this face to face.
Just dont read my postings if they are not up to your standards :roll:
And your opinions are wasted on me as I really dont care.
will look forward to you keeping your obnoxious opinions of me to yourself. 8)

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:38 am

RIGHT THATS IT,I AM FED UP NOW,THATS TWICE I HAVE BEEN CALLED A SHE,DO IT AGAIN,ARRANGE TO MEET ME AND I WILL SHOW YOU I AM A BLOKE,where the hell this came from i dont know

anyway,jool you can be a pain in the butt,not just you,there are a few others,who hijack a thread moaning about punctuation and stuff,who cares,its a forum not an important legal document ,princess and bubba are right,for christs sake get a life

try going to a scottish website or reading irving welshs books like trainspotting or *,your pointless arguments here go down the drain as they would if you posted on alabama.com or woolongong.com

stick to the times or guardian websites and then you will all be happy

i for one never have a problem understanding posts on here

a message to all nitpickers,if you cant understand what i write,b***** off