Draft modification forum terms and conditions for comment

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm

As far as I am aware there is an ignore facility built into the new phpbb3. I chose to ignore people manually. :lol:

'Spell check police' and especially with regards to new posters, well they really should feel ashamed. How condescending and patronising is that? It does not matter why the poster has not checked their spelling, and frankly is should not be a matter for comment unless requested by the poster.

'Self appointed Gods', those friendly souls who feel that their knowledge is far superior to any other poster, and continually drag others down with their criticisms.

'One liners' These have to be my most detested posters here, the ones that just nip in with snide remarks and provocative and argumentative remarks, cause a bun fight and then sit back and chuckle

I have listed the things that hack me off on here, I tend not to post about them as it is pointless, I just shake my head and wonder why people feel it is acceptable to post this sort of thing when in reality they would not do this in a face to face conversation. I mean can you imagine telling a person, during a conversation that their use of vocabulary and grammar are dreadful....Mmmm think not.

I think, and of course this is just my own opinion, that these matters should be addressed as a matter of urgency.

It might be that an off topic section could be set up for people to waffle about things totally unrelated to Andalucia, this would enable those posters earlier identified as being newbies to make contact with people and form friendships and work out how the forum functions. As for a fee for the Andalucia Amigos Lounge.......Pleaaaaaaaaaaase !! you have got to be kidding me. If this is what is going to happen you can have my membership card right now, as to be fair any mystique that might have been there before I got through the door, has long since gone and I would not pay for that sort of content.

Drupal I believe is a good way forward.

Multiple id's here in Spain are always going to exist as the only way of combatting this is with IP addys and we all know the score on that one. I could, were I a little minx, get myself banned from 100 forums a day here and simply log my machine off and back on again and it will renew my IP there is no way admin can be sure, they might have suspicions. I know I run my own forum.

One idea has been pushed about for ages is for email addresses to be dedicated not throw away like yahoo and hotmail, however that would cause a lot of problems for a lot of users.

Right I have have my €10 's worth so I will shuffle off and annoy other people

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Ohhhhhhhh Trog. I am but a one-line poster.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Good post Trog!
Two main points I'd 100% agree with is only speak as you would do face to face.
Second is accountability, either with dedicated email or home address. Only other forum I'm on uses the latter, sure there's the Friday bunfight but knowing that you are a "real accountable person" does do away with the internet warrior type of person for fear of a punch in the gob..........honestly it works a treat and yes you still have the less than interesting posters, the smart alecs and the know it alls, that's life and acceptable, what you don't have is people with chips on their shoulders from the "real world" taking their frustrations out on others from behind a firewall :idea:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:35 pm

I have seen Moderators on another forum expose multi-id's. Can be fun though because after about 3 posts the members can usually sus out who they are. I also saw a link to a proxy server! You can get any country you want :?

Trog I understand what you say about real life. Have seen many posts where someone says something like "What a shítéhole" in response to where someone lives. No-one would actually say that face to face would they. (I hope) :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:30 pm

princess peach wrote:8)
Another brilliant example of how to achieve Guru status!

Sid

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Blimey Sid, thats you on the ignore list :lol:

Annie - your one liners could hardly be described as argumentative, ocassionally thought provoking :)

I think Peter is needed more than ever, this spell checker isn't ever working :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:02 pm

FYI....i posted something,then thought better of it.You have to put something in its place,so i put the emoticon.Not very often I just put just an emoticon. :roll:
I have all you lovely members to thank for helping me acheive guru status ,so big thanks to you lot!
I hadnt even noticed that my ranking had changed until you lot mentioned it,and crikey what a stir it has caused. :roll: :lol:
JFTR-I couldnt care less if i was back to being a newbie on here,I cannot believe that you can all whinge and moan sooo much about me and guru status...If only you put so much energy into your postings on the main forum,it may prove a far more interesting read all round...

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 pm

katy wrote: Have seen many posts where someone says something like "What a ****éhole" in response to where someone lives. No-one would actually say that face to face would they. (I hope) :)
So is it ok to call someone who chooses for their much adored dog to have puppies (which will be very sought after) something far worse? :( p :?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Que! Here we go :roll: Shouldn't that be in the pets page along with the dogs in season crÄp! Maybe I should ask admin to change my name to Katysaid.

PP no-one helped you to achieve Guru status you did it all yourself, and in record time. According to a few posters today you didn't seem very popular. Of course you wouldn't have read some of them as you have this "ignore system"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Paula wrote:Blimey Sid, thats you on the ignore list :lol:
Not yours I trust. If I keep up these one line posts I could be a Super Guru in weeks!

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Sid....I think that you are already a Super Guru.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:11 pm

El Cid wrote:

Sid
In a nutshell Sid, and as a well respected guy on here the point is even more significant............I'd get zapped for saying it though, along with the vast majority of decent visitors to the forum who feel the same.

8)
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 pm

El Cid wrote:
Paula wrote:Blimey Sid, thats you on the ignore list :lol:
Not yours I trust. If I keep up these one line posts I could be a Super Guru in weeks!

Sid
No, of course not mine :lol: I'd never sort out my tax if I start ignoring you :wink: Then there are my geraniums to think about, and of course I may not have this very laptop I am using.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:12 pm

princess peach wrote: Not very often I just put just an emoticon. ...

Safely posted as I am sure to be on the famous ignore list so the rest you can decide on the basis of such evidence, not just heresay, whether "Not very often I just put just an emoticon." has any degree of truth or just yet more lies. Or perhaps the whole story of an ignore list is also pure untruth ...... surely not :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Being on the ignore list does have a lot of advantages ¡verdad! :lol:

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 pm

do you know reading what a lot of you lot write,really is off putting for nebbies,i in real life i don't say a lot if i can just make my point with just a few words,but the way i read this, if i don't, with my one finger on each hand type a bloody book, you lot are going to say i am trying to up the amount of my posts,i think its gone barmy,so some one says something very funny as a joke, blimey surely he or she should get a laughter responce, like ,ha ha ha ,or lol, if not the joke was a waste of posting,

julian
Andalucia Guru

lies?

Postby julian » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:54 pm

"Or perhaps the whole story of an ignore list is also pure untruth "....are you suggesting we have another "embassy tea-party" case???

Don

Re: lies?

Postby Don » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 pm

julian wrote:"Or perhaps the whole story of an ignore list is also pure untruth "....are you suggesting we have another "embassy tea-party" case???
The king's new clothes julian, or maybe his daughter in this case :lol:

In other forums there is an automatic limiter which does not allow a post of below so many characters (and it doesnt count smilies) which does actually encourage posters to write something and often it is informative and/or pleasant to read.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:32 am

bliss on here isnt it :wink: ....where are the groaners these days?...must be on the new "grumpy old people forum" i found... :lol: :lol:

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am

Blimey Don! How long did it take you to dig up all of Peachy´s "smiley only" posts? I´m impressed! :wink: