Forum Upgrade

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Forum Upgrade

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:42 am

1. Like the green -I already feel less jaundiced!

2. I find the 'hotspot' on User Control Panel runs from just below the picture above the words, to a fraction below the bottom of the words - no problem.

As Barbara Johnson said "Nobody likes change, except babies in diapers". It will take time, and being non-techy I have to accept admin's assertion that a security meltdown was imminent using the old software.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:41 am

The new spell-checker is as much use as the Pope's gonads or a nun's *beep* - try mis-spelling some stuff, common typos for example, and it misses the lot!
E.g. thy weer agin going too fast.
It asks about the "E", and the "g", but "thy", "weer" and "agin" are fine, according to its dictionary!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Hillybilly, are you using Firefox? I have been having the same problem as you with the hotspots under 'User control panel' although I can actually find it, (I'm good at finding spots of whatever kind) but I have just switched to Internet Explorer Image (but only for a few seconds) and find that the hotspots are properly placed as described by Peter.

It would appear that the page is not rendering properly in Firefox. Is anyone else using Firefox getting the same problem? Admin, can you fix this?

The spellchecker in Firefox checks your spelling as you type by underling it in red. Right click on the error and it gives you the correct spelling. Much easier than running an apparently useless spellchecker subsequent to typing your post.

I also found that entering your username and password in the box provided did not work. You have to tick on 'Log in' first then enter them in the boxes further down.

I also notice that when 'andalucia' submits a post his username comes up in dark red. Could I have mine in purple please. :D
Let's go Brandon!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:44 pm

That's interesting Beach; I'm the same as you in Firefox regarding the hotspot, but can add that it is spot-on in Opera but doesn't work at all in Safari :?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Yes, I'm using Firefox. I can't log out because the link doesn't work and when I return to the site it asks me for my username and password every time but there is no option to keep me logged in...
I can only get to my PMs by clicking on my own username and getting there that way...

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:35 pm

Beachcomber wrote: It would appear that the page is not rendering properly in Firefox. Is anyone else using Firefox getting the same problem? Admin, can you fix this?
Yes, I am having the same problem. I am also having to log in each time!! :evil:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:33 pm

Have you tried clicking on 'Log in' rather than using the default log in page? You then get an option to tick a box which says, 'Keep me logged in on this computer'

Hillybilly, try placing the cursor directly under the 'g' in Log Out almost, but not quite, touching the bottom tail of the letter. The hotspot is there in Firefox but it is very, very narrow.
Let's go Brandon!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Hillybilly, what version of Firefox are you using? The links work as I described on my computer running Firefox 3 but will not work at all on my old Windows 98 computer running Firefox 2.
Let's go Brandon!

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Much improved appearance can read it more clearly now.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Have you tried clicking on 'Log in' rather than using the default log in page? You then get an option to tick a box which says, 'Keep me logged in on this computer'
Hi Beachy, Yes, have tried at that way too...tho still doesn´t keep me logged in. :(

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Am using Firefox 3 , Vista. Not a hotspot to be found! Story of my life... :wink:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Karandjon, try clearing the A.com cookies.

Hillybilly, the problem seem to be with certain combinations of browsers and operating systems. Loathe as I am to suggest this but do the links work in IE? Unfortunately web designers often forget about, or ignore the existence of, other browsers and design their sites for IE without testing the others.

All the other links work in Firefox so hopefully ADC's techie will get his brain in gear tomorrow and sort this out together with the yellow text on fawn background problem.
Let's go Brandon!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Yep, links work fine in (spit) IE.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:49 pm

I think this had been fixed now. The links are working properly on all my computers in Firefox and the yellow writing has been replaced.
Let's go Brandon!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Yep, links now working for me too in Firefox but there is still illegible yellow writing in places.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm

That is correct Beachcomber. Today we have corrected most of the issues that were kindly pointed out to us by the members on this thread. We still have a few to do which includes the spell check and some more yellow backgrounds on some of the more remote page templates.

Hopefully the dust will now settle, members will be able to find their way around and start to benefit from the new features.

BTY you were correct the last update was 2004 not 2001. As you said it was a definite improvement. There were still a lot of complaints at the time.

Admin team

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Karandjon, try clearing the A.com cookies.
Hi Beachy, can you tell me how to do this please? I have tried but can not find the section on my pc. :oops:

Thanks

Karen

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 pm

andalucia wrote: Today we have corrected most of the issues that were kindly pointed out to us by the members on this thread.
Yes, that's much better. It looks like you have reduced the text size as well which is good. On the old system you could get loads of messages on one "page", you could improve it by making the page a bit wider using some of the green space.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Yes, an overall improvement. I agree about using the green spaces but I remember a post from someone who said he had to scroll left and right to see the whole message probably due to a low screen resolution.

Karandjon, to you can remove all cookies in one sweep but to do it selectively, in Firefox at least, click on 'Tools'--->'Options'--->'Privacy'--->'Show Cookies'. Search for the andalucia.com one(s) and delete them.
Let's go Brandon!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi Beachy, Thanks! I have just deleted cookies for andalucia.com, so will see if that helps.

Out of interest (and sorry if this sounds naive)...but what are cokies, and what do they do?

Many thanks,

Karen