This forum is alive and well....

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
anis
Resident

This forum is alive and well....

Postby anis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:42 pm

This forum is alive and well and toddling its way towards its eighth birthday next May.
Bob recently wrote” I’d say you only have about 29 members anyway.” ( Swerve’s ‘Members who have never posted ‘ thread ) I was curious about that statement , Bob,
and thought I would check it out and can now reveal to you all that approximately 120 members are actively posting at present.
The breakdown of that figure may interest a few of you and bore the majority so feel free to click off.
The forum began in 2004 and 20 of you are still actively participating from that year and 18 of you from 2005, many of whom are gurus of course.
A big thank you to you founder members for sticking with it for so long. :clap: :clap: I think those figures alone speak volumes about the health of the forum. It isn’t dead or dying,
2006 saw 19 of you stay on board for the long term but 2007/8/9 saw a sudden drop to 13 members staying on each year. 2009 was a vintage year however and it produced no less than 3 gurus,. Well done Steve, Mark and Enrique ! :clap: :clap:
Now in 2010, the numbers understandably start to dwindle, reflecting the financial crisis, our little forum mirroring the state of society, of people leaving and none coming to these shores. Only 6 members manage to hold on with White Horse and Gus keeping the pace up.
2011 sees much of the same with less and less joining because there are less moving here.
It may be my imagination but there has been a little flurry of activity of newbies and old ‘newbies’ posting since El Cid has posted asking members to be more polite to them and each other. 2011 sees 14 current posters approximately which is up on last years figures. I hope it continues.

…and the point of my post ? It wasn’t to have a dig at you, Bob, I was simply curious about the real figures.
The forum isn’t dead or dying and it is only as boring as we care to make it.
Changing perhaps and yes, maybe I should get out more :lol: :lol: :lol: .

barry
Resident

Re: This forum is alive and well....

Postby barry » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Go back to your farmstead :roll:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 pm

That is blistering interesting - so pleased to get a mench in despatches! :wave:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

There was an andalucia.com forum prior to 2004 but it took a completely different format which obviously was not importable into the current one.
Let's go Brandon!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:04 pm

...oooh Barry. you have such an elegant turn pf phrase :lol: :lol: :lolno:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Beachcomber wrote:There was an andalucia.com forum prior to 2004 but it took a completely different format which obviously was not importable into the current one.
Are you sure it was not ineptitude, (or even ambivalence!)?

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Anis look up alqueria! :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Well...
Of course I have to hold up my hand and admit that it was actually me who originally quoted the figure of 29 members... :oops: :oops:
But it was stated totally 'tongue in cheek' and with a hint of humour attached....

Regretfully it was quoted totally out of context by the person with the short name,who I choose to totally ignore....who is a sad, sarcastic, miserable git...
But of course I must now, as we are totally PC and extremely polite people, retract that statement and profusely apologise for that uncalled outburst , which is totally out of character for me... :lol: :lol:
Still think that he sucks lemons as a hobby though....

I know, I know...Bad --Bad Boy Gordon and I should be thoroughly ashamed of myself for being so uncourteous... :oops:
Regards,
Gordon...The Bad Boy... :wink:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm not understanding Barry's posts, are you being funny or insulting? I can't tell. What does alqueria mean? It's not in my dictionary.

I find that interesting, Anis, I was looking at things like the length of time some of the gurus have been here and number of posts they've made. I thought my 3 years and 600+ posts were impressive but I am extremely quiet compared to some - and of course I am a long way away from guru status, several years at the rate I'm going!

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Joined 2004 and still a resident?

What criteria!

Google translate will tell you Irene and no I was not trying to insult.

From whence in Licolnshire are you fleeing, flew fom Holbeach many years ago!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Beachcomber wrote:There was an andalucia.com forum prior to 2004 but it took a completely different format which obviously was not importable into the current one.
That format was really tough to follow. Do you remember the swingers couple from Albox...they caused quite a stir :lol: Lot of people opening bars in those days too :|

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:38 am

Interesting stats Katy. How time flies, didn't realise that I was a founding member. :thumbup:

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 am

Beachcomber -
Thanks for the new info, I am still curious.
How did it all begin and when ? How many were you in number and whose idea was it to begin the forum ? Have you always been attached to A.com ? Many signed up in 2004 so were you already a large group by then ?

Beni -
I knew your 29 was in jest

Irene -
Thankyou

Barry -
When you next make a "new post" I will hopefully be the first to respond with my quick and witty reply - "Go back to your cave :roll: "
You won't need a dictionary, it is in English.
It will be sent to you in the secure knowledge that you won't find it in the least insulting. :wink:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:23 am

I remember the original forum. I remember the "swingers" lol, and also Ted who I think got banned, though he was quite funny at times. I also remember Frank being on that forum and someone being nasty about him speaking Spanish, do you remember that Frank? I don't think there are many current members who were on the original. It wasn't very well moderated and there were some quite rude posts at times.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:05 am

Paula wrote: I also remember Frank being on that forum and someone being nasty about him speaking Spanish, do you remember that Frank?
No, I don't to be honest, Paula, but I don't doubt it happened! :lol: Wouldn't be the first time some monoglot has complained! And the forum was a lot "nastier" in those days, with some very colourful, controversial characters. To learn Spanish or not is of course up to them, it's their choice, but I think you know my feelings about people that have chosen to live in Spain, have been there years, and can hardly string two words of Spanish together. Sad really, innit? :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:26 pm

I also remember the early days of the forum,constant aggro and name calling,so I waited until 2006 before I 'joined' and it wasn't much better then... :roll:

Of course it is now only frequented by mainly respectable law abiding citizens... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon..

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Ahhh Beni,
You don´t know any more about ´context´
than you do about me or Ingvar Kamprad.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Ahhh Bob,
Likewise.... :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:44 am

I don´t know if it is the same ones but there is an Albox couple who advertise in the local newspapers and if you go to their website the woman is posing naked (very beautiful I must say) alongside her swimming pool.....and the name of their website advertises what they do....... :silent:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Anis, I just came across it one day. I think it had already been active for sometime. I recall a member called James T Kirk who was also eventually banned and I remember being ticked off by someone when I expressed to him my appreciation of the charms of Lieutenant Nyota Uhura.

The posts were all on the same page and appeared one underneath the other and spread further across the page the more replies there were.
Let's go Brandon!