Why am I a tourist?

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Why am I a tourist?

Postby Susi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm

This is probably a really stupid question but why does it say under my username "tourist" when I live here?

I know that in the whole scheme of things this is a really trivial point but why can't it say resident? I have no desire for it to say "Andalucia Guru" or anything like that, although I would be interested to know how you qualify - is there an exam on the ability to answer everybody's questions?

Susi :?

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Yeah me too!

I might be new to the board, but Could I please be a resident?

Sorry Susie no idea why it has tourists.

Olivefarmer

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:29 pm

It's a rather silly scheme they use of grading people by the number of posts they have made. When you have posted a certain amount of times (100? not sure) you will cease to be a tourist and become whatever is next on the list. It's been raised before, but they don't seem to want to change it. Despite living in UK, I am an Andalucian Guru, how daft is that? ;-) You could write the biggest load of rubbish going(awaiting replies from the usual retards! Think I know who will be the first), but so long as you write enough of it, you become a guru! I think I'll start again and become what I am, a tourist! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:23 pm

50 posts will make you a resident
Grouser

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Thaanks Grouser. 27 down 23 to go.

Susi Perhaps we should start a pointlesss discussion just to get to 50!!!!!!

Olivefarmer

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Ok Olivefarmer, I've got some catching up to do to get my higher status.

Do you have a good recipe for marinating your own olives? This is actually something that interests me but the only recipes I have been given involved river water to be changed daily for three weeks and unfortunately the local goats knocked over all the buckets so I gave up!!!
Susi

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 pm

As you said susi it is totally irrelevant. Some forums give the gradings as 'drinks', andalucia.com does it as newbie / tourist / resident / guru.
Some gurus are totally halfwitted but post a lot whilst others are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Some newbies come on and post extremely helpful and useful information on their first visit.
You will be derided and abused by some, but just ignore it, most of the time it is meant in fun.
Your Spanish if you use it will be corrected by our resident expert(s), just ignore them too they are amongst the half witted section of the gurus.
Continue to contribute and to harvest information, have some fun and learn a little, before you know it you will be a guru and no-one will respect you any more or any less because of it. :wink:

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 pm

Lets see what I am.....,err.. I dont live there yet, ah thats a good sign actually
Last edited by chrisuk on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 pm

spanish hopes wrote:As you said susi it is totally irrelevant. Some forums give the gradings as 'drinks', andalucia.com does it as newbie / tourist / resident / guru.
Some gurus are totally halfwitted but post a lot whilst others are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Some newbies come on and post extremely helpful and useful information on their first visit.
You will be derided and abused by some, but just ignore it, most of the time it is meant in fun.
Your Spanish if you use it will be corrected by our resident expert(s), just ignore them too they are amongst the half witted section of the gurus.
Continue to contribute and to harvest information, have some fun and learn a little, before you know it you will be a guru and no-one will respect you any more or any less because of it. :wink:
well said Snr. Hopes.

;) theres some of us gurus that know what we are talking about .. and others that decide that whatever we say is wrong... each to their own i say...believe who you like, bring good things to this forum and people wont take the p*ss...too much ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:32 am

Spanish Lad /Spanish Hopes

I take you point that it is irrelevant. It would be nice however to have the option from newbie to go either as a tourist or resident!

Susi, Sorry on the marinating olive front we have tried two different methods over the last couple of years and both have failed. We are going to try again later in the year, this time using costic soda. However we did make some nice green tomatoe chutney.

Olivefarmer

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:47 am

dont say things like that olive, it´ll probably get erased from existance !

(posts have a habit of disappearing now and then...for some strange reason - as will this probably :D lol )

and if you want recipies, there is a food, drink, culture and entertainment forum. to be honest i´m surprised that you´ve not been pulled up on it already ?? hmm.. maybe the moderator is asleep :D

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:01 am

Olive,
Your profile already tells people that you are a resident. The ratings system means nothing. There are members who have been on since the beginning of the forum but who for whatever reason have decided not to post, they are still classed as newbies though may well have expertise which would benefit us all.
I have posted loads of rubbish (not so much as kevin or frank but loads anyway) and I am a guru.
The snob value in the ratings is very, very over-rated.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:07 pm

Grouser wrote:50 posts will make you a resident
If only Resedencia was as easy :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:26 pm

spanish hopes wrote:
I have posted loads of rubbish (not so much as kevin or frank but loads anyway) and I am a guru.
Too true, Spanish Dope! The only reason you're behind, is you are new here, give a few more weeks and you'll sail past us! It's taken us years to post this much rubbish, you've managed it in a few months.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Frank you are too kind, I could never in a million years post the amount of drivel that you and your mate manage.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Just in case you're confused chrisuk, Spanishjoke doesn't like it when anybody posts comments about Andalucia which could prejudice A.com's advertising revenue. Apparently he was given a sherrifs badge by Admin at the A.com Xmas party, which he proudly polishes every day, and he takes it on himself to root out the troublecausers - *yawn*, frank and myself who he sees as the axis of evil!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:00 pm

*yawn*, myself and frank
The first two being one and the same, and frank is just daft and pompous.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:05 pm

why does every thread have to descend into mindnumbing bantering between you lot all the time???

christ you´d think anyone actually gave a sh*t ;)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:10 pm

spanish_lad wrote:why does every thread have to descend into mindnumbing bantering between you lot all the time???

christ you´d think anyone actually gave a sh*t ;)
It's only mind numbing banter so that you aren't too intellectually challenged when following it young man. :lol: :wink:

And I HOPE no-one sensible actually does give a sh*t . :wink: :lol:

Stop calling me Christ. I didn't even buy any wine at the Xmas do never mind change the water to wine.

janp
Tourist

Postby janp » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:18 pm

..... play nice ladies!