Iberia not accepting my passport number for advance information form

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Iberia not accepting my passport number for advance information form

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:57 pm

I may be losing my mind. I am due to fly back home and in to Madrid on 20th August and I am flying with Iberia. On their Advanced Passenger Information Form the automatic thing accepts my name, date of birth, passport (as a document) country of issue, expiry date, country of residence but will NOT accept my passport number. It says it is an invalid number. I flew with it and Iberia on 11th June so what is the problem now? Has anyone any ideas?

I have tried all the options of passport or identity card (TIE) and even put the UK as my country of residence but nothing seems to work.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Iberia not accepting my passport number for advance information form

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm

Lavanda if you have not managed to get it sorted then you may have to phone their customer services. 020 3684 3774. Good luck though with getting through to someone.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks, Pamela. I will try that. I am at the Hyatt at Heathrow the night before my early flight so if all else fails I have some time to go to the help desk and get it sorted out. Apparently, a person is not allowed to fly without providing the advance information. I will also take a photo of the form showing my number being rejected. It’s completely baffling.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 pm

Whatever you do, I would do as Pamela says.
When I fly with BA, which is the same company, I can’t check in until 24 hours before take off and that’s when I Enter the information.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:11 pm

Have you a twitter or f.book account. They are normally your best bet at getting things resolved. Of a live chat facility on heir website

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Thanks for the help all of you. I did wonder if I was too early with the form but the passport number is the only think that is flagged up incorrect. I’ll follow up all your suggestions tomorrow and get back if I get a result from Iberia.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:24 pm

I have sent out a FaceBook message but I am not holding my breath. The phone number on the contact Iberia page is very odd:

If you require further information about reservations and flights, please contact:
1-800-772-4642
(english) 8:00 - 24:00 Lt. Monday to Sunday.

That phone number, as such, does not exist.
I tried with the Spanish code and English code (I am in the UK) and dropping the first 1 but nothing actually connects. Any ideas, please?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Isn't a 1-800 a toll free number for use in america?

Maybe try 0800 which is the uk version

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:53 pm

I think it's a US number. Try looking on this list. https://customerservicenumbers.org/iberia-airlines/

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks, both of you, but how is anyone supposed to know what the numbers are without any explanation?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Good link, Quebin.

The UK Iberia number listed has been changed and it is now: 02036843774

After a few options I got the 'All our lines are busy and please call back later' message and then I got cut off.

Can I fly by giving my advanced passenger information at the check-in desk just before I fly?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Only my opinion but i think the passenger info has to be given when you check in online. As its all done together at the same time

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Lavanda wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:55 pm Thanks, both of you, but how is anyone supposed to know what the numbers are without any explanation?
You make sure you are on the UK site. The option to change more or less every international site is somewhere at the top of the page. It is there on the Spanish Iberia site.

These days unless you want to chose your seat or get any other benefit, there is often an extra charge if you want to check in early. As I have already posted the BA/Iberia flights cannot be done until 24 hours before scheduled take off.

The internet is a wealth of information and by asking Google I came up with this that confirms that you will need to check from 24 to 1 hour before the flight. If you do not have access to a printer or do not have a smart phone, you will need to go to one of those internet cafes type shops (Something I had to do when staying with families a few years back when internet wasn't so widespread) or ask a fried to print out your boarding pass

https://www.iberia.com/es/checkin-information/

Make sure you read the part about flying in and out of the UK
If you flew into the UK with Iberia, It is likely that they have stored your details, including passport info and it will autofill when you check-in
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Elusive, I usually fly with EasyJet and do everything when I book the flight but with Iberia there was an option to do the advance info later and as I was in a hurry I left it for later. The only thing that is any different this time to the thousands of times I have bought flights on-line is that my passport number is not ‘valid’. That is the only thing wrong.

Mark, the on-line check-in is not available for the flight yet so that will have to wait but I already have my electronic ticket to check-in at the airport automatically with the scanner at the baggage thing - all so very modern compared with EasyJet.

If all else fails I will sort things out the night before my flight as I have already posted.

If I did use my TIE as my identity document which of the numbers on the card is the one that identifies me and the card?

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:22 am

Flying within Spain and Canarias, I always use NIE as identity document for booking flights. At boarding I show my passport as ID, which incidently is not connected to my NIE, nor my residence certificate.

Might give people some ideas!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks, jhonie99. I do have my TIE with me and it may help.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 am

Just thought, you do have sufficient time left on your passport Lavanda? Just read an article that says the date now used is the issue date plus 10 years and it should have six months remaining. As you could previously renew early and have the benefit of the extra months, I think that the expiry date does not count now, but you need the issue date + 9.5 years to be valid to travel to the EU. Just a thought ....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks, Wicksey, but my passport is valid until September 2028. I do have a request in with HM Passport Office to check the validity of my passport but if all else fails I will fly on my TIE and enter Spain that way. I hope.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:47 pm

I think a TIE is only valid for passport free travel within the EU. You would almost certainly be refused boarding in the UK without a valid passport.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:55 pm

To bring this thread to a conclusion:

I got to Heathrow T5 on Thursday and went to the Iberia desk but was directed to the BA desk. Everything was very, very quiet. BA were flying the plane for their Madrid flight, that of Iberia and some American Airways company. Putting the three options together made sense and even then the plane on Friday morning was only half full with lots of spaces between passengers.

Anyway, the man at the BA desk said that sometimes the computer got glitches with some forms and 'not to worry'. 'Not to worry''? Whatever. He did something with a scanner and told me that all was well. I then gave him my bag as the option to do that the night before was preferred by the airline as the mornings are busier. I got my boarding pass and went off for a good night's sleep at the nearby Hyatt Place.

All went smoothly and well but T5 wasn't busy on the Friday morning, either. Madrid wasn't busy and all the passport and health checks went quickly and without problems. I'm in Madrid for two days and it's nice but very quiet — it's August, after all. 90% of people in the streets are wearing masks and 100% of people in shops and museums and restaurants (except when they are actually eating). We live in strange times.

As an aside, airport security is STILL doing the liquids check even after all these years and they STILL have a fetish for shoes even though the 'ShoeBomber' was a one-off nutter. I can see these Covid checks and masks also lasting long after all reasonable point to them has disappeared.

PS My passport was stamped again at Madrid airport on production of my TIE.