Picasso Museum, Malaga.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Picasso Museum, Malaga.

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 pm

We had a look recently.

I may be shot down as a phillistine, but there wasn't anything there that I would have wanted hung on my walls.

What do others think?

On the other hand, we found the

Museo de artes y tradiciones populares brilliant.

Rick

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:33 pm

I think it is all down to personal taste, you don't have to like something just because lots of other people do. Never be a sheep :wink:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:42 pm

dido72 wrote: Never be a sheep :wink:

Just ate some with all the trimmings

Larvley

Julie
Andalucia Guru

sheep

Postby Julie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:43 pm

Well it is Sunday :wink: :D :D

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Picasso Museum, Malaga

Postby gavilan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:22 am

RG wrote: 'Museo de artes y tradiciones populares brilliant.' ... would agree ... I loved it too, fascinating ... and there are similar ones in the villages of Benagalbon, Riogordo, Almachar and Sayalonga

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 am

I have visited the Picasso House several times, due to having to show my guests the 'famous places' of Andalucia.
..Some of his early work was good and I do have a couple of early prints of them, no great value , I hasten to add....However I've never been able to appreciate the pottery pieces that he produced, some of the lovely 'pots' my children produced in kindergarten, are far superior, even if I am a little 'biased'....
On our last visit , only a few weeks ago, I was more interested in watching the reactions of a party of students, who were ooohing and aaarrring about how wonderful the ceramics were...at the time I could only wonder 'what they were on'....and it must be good ...can I have some please...
Anyway Beauty is in The Eye of the Beholder...so don't be put off visiting, still worth a look, and not expensive to get in.... :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 am

If you all like the great man so much then this must be worth a punt :?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Picasso- ... dZViewItem

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:39 am

:lol: Surprised that the listing end date isn't set for 1st April :lol:
Meg - Sunny by nature

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 am

Never be a sheep
No, but saw it in half, pickle it in formaldehyde and Charles Saatchi will give you a million for it .

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:03 pm

We were disappointed with the Picasso Museum too; it seemed to be full of obscure pieces.

Juan Miguel

Postby Juan Miguel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:38 pm

If you want to visit the museum, all the last sunday of the month is free entrance..

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

pablo

Postby gronc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:16 pm

never rated him much.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Megan wrote::lol: Surprised that the listing end date isn't set for 1st April :lol:

What does this mean please

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Rick Gale wrote:
Megan wrote::lol: Surprised that the listing end date isn't set for 1st April :lol:

What does this mean please

April Fools day - referring to the link that Campo Kenny posted. I'm probably wrong, but that ebay listing has got to be a joke. Maybe not, maybe there is one heck of a reserve price for the painting :lol:
Meg - Sunny by nature

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:19 pm

I dsidn´t rate the exhibits much either - it surprised me to compare some of his work with the Roman/Greek pottery displayed and see how much he had taken from these earlier works, I hadn´t realised what a plagiarist he was before!

I did enjoy building itself, though, it has been beautifully restored. But I don´t think I´ll be paying 10E to go again, though.

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:35 pm

i took my daughter to the picasso museum last summer, the building was nearly empty except for us and many security guards, we didnt stay long though as my daughter became increasingly embarrassed at the noise her shoes made on the floor and so we had to tip toe out.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:22 am

Some points to think about with reference to Picasso's work.
He was probably the greatest and certainly the most influential artist of the twentieth century.
He initiated, or was involved from the start in many different styles and movements.
He was extremely versatile and prepared to experiment in many different materials and techniques, again, some of which he innovated.
Heavily influenced by so called 'primitive art' that he discovered in the Louvre, he explored many different ways of seeing the world. This included re-discovering the way children respond to the world through drawing and painting. They depict things as they know them to be, rather than as they see them. For example a child drawing a car will show all four wheels, because it knows it has them, even if the viewpoint would only show two.
Perhaps, Benidorm, you are able to appreciate your grandchildren's art thanks to Picasso's influence. Without him, children's art might well be dismissed as valueless scribbling.
Free at last, not a plagiarist, I think, but one who was ready to take from any source that interested him and work his own magical transformation on it.
One of the problems of being an incredibly prolific and innovative artist and world famous to boot is that everything he produced is seen to have value. Like any artist who experiments and takes risks he will have had his failures, or less successful work, but in his case all will be displayed.
There is more than enough work on display in the Malaga Gallery to completely saturate the senses and some of it is excellent.
In my opinion one line from a good Picasso is worth a whole picture from a lesser artist
Grouser

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:26 pm

Grouser,
That was a well informed and interesting addition to the Picasso subject, Well Done.....

I fully agree with you about his status as being one of the leading artists of modern times.I am sure that he has been an inspiration to many people from all walks of life..
My reference to his more 'primitive' work, was aimed at his efforts with ceramics, which I personally have not been able to appreciate as much as his art work..
His rendering of the highly emotive 'Guernica' painting, to me is totally awe inspiring, I feel he captured the shock and feelings of the innocent villagers , who watched their families and homes destroyed by the senseless bombing by the German Condor Legion bombers.

I also find the work of Salvador Dali interesting and thought provoking, eccentric perhaps, but that probably reflects my own personality.

L.S.Lowrey, in my opinion also captured perfectly the life and times of the Northern UK mill towns , in his matchstick men and women style, childlike, but understandable to everyone.

Sometimes I believe that it is difficult to understand the work of many artists, without first having knowledge of their background and what inspired them.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:57 pm

This thread could turn into a very interesting discussion on art in general.

I agree with you Benidorm about Dali.

We went to the museum in Figueras couple of years back. Tip. If you go, be there before the doors open . It gets packed. Thought the whole thing brilliant. Didn't rate the Picasso in Barcelona. Guess he's just not my cup of tea.
I'm not that knowledgable about art. For years, the only Dutch ones I could name were Rembrandt and Hertz Van Rental.

Is any one familiar with Robert O Lenkiewicz? Recently deceaded, but produced some great stuff in Plymouth

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:10 pm

an insight into picasso & his work...
years ago picasso met some american business men interested in his art.
one of them asked him why his women didn’t look like ‘normal’ women.
picasso asked him what he meant by ‘normal’ women.
the business man said, “well, women, like my wife for example”
picasso asked the man if he had a picture of his wife.
the man opened his wallet and produced a snapshot of his wife.
the artist turned the photo in his hands and examined it carefully.
then he handed the photo back with the reply:
“she’s a very small woman, isn’t she... ?”