Air travel with food

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
broads
Andalucia.com Amigo

Air travel with food

Postby broads » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:07 pm

Has anyone travelled either to or from Spain to England with any meat, veg etc? have been trying to find out just what food you can carry but can't. Ie can we legally bring things like garlic, peppers, chorizo etc back to England with us? Are there any restrictions for taking food into Spain from England?

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Try here and you may find the answers you need
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... e=document
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Most people will probably think I am mad, but last week I returned to UK with Potatoes, beans, onion & garlic from my amigo Jose's parcela (I could not bare to throw it away). Plus I bought Jamon, chorizo, morcilla and cheese in a supermarket to bring home. And yes, of coarse I was asked to show what I had in my bag when it went through the scanner. :roll: :roll:
I think you can take most things except liquids or jams etc.

broads
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby broads » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Thank you both.
Will look at your recommended site Swerve
Trigger. You obviously bring back the sort of food i was asking about. So at what point of your journey did you have to show what you had in your bag?
Also have you ever taken food from Britain to Spain. I ask as we have two days in Spain where we cannot get to buy any food so want to take some with us to tide us over.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 pm

We often take frozen bacon and sausage and a good selection of cheeses over to malaga in our suite cases and have had no problems so far so maybe that's what you will have to do just keep nothing in your hand luggage

Julie
Andalucia Guru

food

Postby Julie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:30 pm

If you pack it all in a cool bag and put it in your suitcase it will be ok, plus the benefit of the hold being really cold helps keep it fresher

annie_d
Resident

food

Postby annie_d » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 pm

thinking along those lines...the best way to transport chocolate.....in your experiences. Thankyou
anyway, anyway, love from me.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Regarding garlic i would be careful about taking that in case customs think you are trying to hide the smell of something else

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 01, 2007 6:45 am

In effect there are no restrictions about moving food or plant products within the EU. The problems arise on importation of non EU originating products.

The only rule that could prevent you doing so is the airlines baggage rules which do not normally allow the carriage of perishable goods in luggage.

Sid

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 am

I brought mine back in my hand luggage and was asked to open the case when I went through security. My coolbag has a foil lining so I think they were unsure of what was inside.
The same as Swerve, I took bacon and bread out as I arrived after our bakers closed on Sunday. We often take sandwiches to eat on the flight as well, though earlier this year I was told I was not allowed to eat my peanuts as someone on the flight had a nut allergy!

Heston
Resident

food

Postby Heston » Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 am

The first Christmas my husband had moved over here ( I was stuck in the UK!) but flew over Christmas eve on Easyjet to Malaga..in my quest to do the right thing I phoned their customer services department as I wanted to bring a Turkey Crown with me for our christmas dinner. I was promptly diverted to a call centre in India and the poor girl didnt have a clue...20 minutes late I spoke to a supervisor to be told that Easy jet dont transport animals!!! They went to say that if it was cooked it was classed as food but if raw it was a dead animal and I couldnt take it on board! So I smuggled it under three towels and took my chances!!
I was later punished as the apartment he was renting had a broken oven ( he had just moved in!)so our first Christmas in Spain we enjoyed ham slices from Asda and a tin of peas.................oh what memories!! I learnt a lesson and just kept my mouth shut from then on!!!

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Tue May 01, 2007 3:10 pm

Going through the scanner at Stansted airport on Monday my Husband was asked to step aside and open the contents of his luggage because, on the screen it showed he was carrying three 'canisters'.
He did what he was told and emptied the bags out when, the security lady nearly fell over laughing when she realised that the three 'canisters' were in fact three custard tarts! However, they let him go through with them and he ate them all on the plain back to Spain!!!! - ALL 3 OF THEM!!!!
If a pathalogical liar tell you he is lying, do you believe him?