Street markets and live stock

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Blue Sardine
Tourist

Street markets and live stock

Postby Blue Sardine » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi all

Looking for markets that sell livestock, chucks and ducks. We have been to markets Nerja, Torrox, Frigiallana but thats it. Does anyone have a market near them that sells chucks or Ducks???

We are moving shortly to Riogordo area and looking to be more self suffiecient. So any advice for markets that sell above please tell

Thanks 8)

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Blue Sardine

I havent found one in four years. Most towns will have a Animal food supplier who will usual have a few chickens and possibly ducks.

I have started to breed my own now, have a good line of Andalucian Blacks and now have some Silkies, which hopefully next year I will breed from.

Hopefully be adding a few more types later on this year.

Good luck with your search, and if you find one let me know.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

Blue Sardine
Tourist

Postby Blue Sardine » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Olivefarmer

No i havnt seen one yet. Agree have seen a animal food supplier and they had chucks, light brown in colour.Not sure what type though.

We used to live in france and had chucks and a Goose. Do you keep your chucks for just eggs or eating as well??

What are the pitfalls of keeping poultry in a hotter climate?

Thanks BS

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Blue Sardine

The brown ones are a normal X breed layer, they lay approx 300 eggs a year. We have only kept the chickens for eggs so far, but after a poor run of iffy chicken from both butchers and supermarkets, next year I will be rearing for eating as well, I have a really big *beep* bird to cross with some normal layers

The pitfalls:-

You need plenty of shade, mine are free range and most of the summer can be found under the nearest large Olive tree.

Plenty of water, they tend to be very hardy but the heat will dry up some of the water.

Good night shelter, we get foxes, but worse are the odd pack of feral dogs.

Hope that helps
Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:01 pm

In markets near us they have all types of live animals/birds for sale, all in small cages.
When you want one they will wring its neck for you, even when small children and myself also are walking by, the animal then screams, they shove it a plastic bag, still twitching, then I have bad dreams for days afterwards. :evil:
Jenny

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Could be worse Jenny and be in Korea etc. They have dogs there in the market for sale and the conditions are unspeakable, now that would give you nightmares.

Beachdragon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Beachdragon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 am

concorde,

i saw a programme on street markets in japan and they had live chickens hanging upside down in big bundles! the poor things. im sure this is why we now have a problem with bird flu, didnt it originate from there?

they say god moves in mysterious ways, nothing like a spot of bird flu to get your own back!
If you cant beat em, just keep tryin

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:56 am

jennyshaw wrote: then I have bad dreams for days afterwards.
This could be caused by a mild dose of salmonella - try cooking the beasties for a bit longer to ensure all bacteria are killed off, and check that you have plucked all the feathers thoroughly.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.