Hotels in Cadiz City

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
campocaro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hotels in Cadiz City

Postby campocaro » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:30 am

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel or hostel in Cadiz city? Not really interested in the big chain hotels and would like to be near the old part of the city. Thanks

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:48 am

The Parador Atlantico is the best place to stay - it's near everything. You can walk into the old town or along the seawall or into the next door Park Genoves. Nice location and pleasant staff.
Inside the old city there are several small 'hostals' and one or two hotels. The one called Las Cortes on San Francisco street looks nice judging by web site and location. Not sure how comfortable the rooms are especially in the chill of winter but as they say :
We do not sell beds, We sell illusion in a thematic hotel.

If you are looking for an illusion then that is your place.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:40 pm

For a nice room in the Parador in Cadiz they quoted me €170 a night.
She couldn't understand why I didn't want it! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm

The most expensive room at the moment is about €170 but it is a suite and very comfortable. The basic double room currently is around €100. If you qualify for one of the Parador discounts the price can be cheaper. They do a young persons 'getaway' deal (20 to 30 inclusive) and guests over 60 can benefit from a 35% discount. Obviously these discounts are unavailable during the peak summer months when the Cadiz Parador is packed. It does represent great value for being so close to the centre of the old city and of course parking is free, safe and no hassle. It is definitely worth looking at the discounts offered during the low season.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:41 pm

flan_taster wrote: guests over 60 can benefit from a 35% discount.
And you get 10% off at B and Q on a wednesday.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:00 pm

In Spain B & Q is : Brico Dépôt - all part of the Kingfisher Group but I don't think they do discounts unlike Parador that has discounts all year round. There is a Brico Dépôt on the road leading out of Jerez towards the airport. Another Kingfisher company is Screwfix.
In Cadiz there is a large and modern Hipercorp and el Corte Ingles store. Not far away in Jerez, the vast new shopping mall complex called AREA SUR will be opened this week. IKEA will open here soon.

aishaelena
Tourist

Postby aishaelena » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:28 pm

flan_taster mentioned Hospedería Las Cortes de Cádiz as being a possibility www.hotellascortes.com. We stayed there for a couple of nights one November and got a very good deal with B&B (about €70 per night if my memory serves me well!). The rooms are lovely and the location in the old town is perfect for exploring this fantastic city. Make sure you ask for a room with a window though as some are internal. By the way, the rooms were very well centrally heated so no problem being cold :)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 pm

[quote="flan_taster"]The most expensive room at the moment is about €170 but it is a suite and very comfortable. The basic double room currently is around €100. If you qualify for one of the Parador discounts the price can be cheaper. They do a young persons 'getaway' deal (20 to 30 inclusive) and guests over 60 can benefit from a 35% discount. Obviously these discounts are unavailable during the peak summer months when the Cadiz Parador is packed. It does represent great value for being so close to the centre of the old city and of course parking is free, safe and no hassle. It is definitely worth looking at the discounts offered during the low season.[/quote]

I was asking, being a cheapskate, with a mind to getting the discounts, but this was last month, and all they had to offer me was the €170 room, with no discounts whatsoever. I agree, with the discount, it's a good deal, but of course the number of paradors offering the discounts, is quite limited. I was a bit put off as well, by someone describing the Cádiz one as a "modern monstrosity"
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:53 am

flan_taster wrote: Not far away in Jerez, the vast new shopping mall complex called AREA SUR will be opened this week. IKEA will open here soon.
Thanks for the info.
We were kind of debating whether Ikea will be in operation here.
I drove passed last week but didn't see any signage.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

campocaro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 am

Belated thanks for recommendations. In fact we decided to go to Jerez and stayed at the very nice 'Hotel Casa Grande' which is central and very comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful arranging sherry tour, restaurant bookings, etc.