Spain as I Know It....

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Spain as I Know It....

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:36 pm

It was a little before sunrise when I was rudely awakened from my Rioja induced deep sleep....A loud noise, like a cannon being fired, had shattered my dreams at a 'crucial' moment.......I leapt from my bed as another loud cannon noise hit my eardrums, and I cursed that I had drunk that last large glass of vino tinto, last night...My head was now resonating like the inside of the local church bell,... and now again another bang from the cannon , and it was getting nearer....Now I tried to focus my mind,..... what's happening I thought, have the local peasants revolted, or should that be ,are the local peasants revolting....... I put my hand to my brow and felt the torrent of perspiration tumbling down my cheeks like a waterfall of salty tears.....I reached up to open the blinds, and as I did another loud explosion went off even nearer to my humble abode,.... is this the day of reckoning , I thought, are my days numbered....
Now I managed to push open the windows , and I anxiously glanced quickly into the street below, ..In the house opposite, a frail old lady dressed in black, was looking furtively up and down the street, and then she made a run for the church, clutching her Bible to her bosom, and now she was in the church, and hopefully safe from the oncoming enemy....
From the corner of my eye I spotted the three legged dog, from the local bar,he was standing on his one good back leg, frantically clawing at his owners door, but it didn't work, and he landed in a heap, before racing to seek sanctity at the church, along with the old lady in black....
Now I could hear repeated explosions like the rat.tat a tat, of a machine gun...and as I stared at the direction of the noise, a wide eyed cat fled in terror, and did a magnificent leap to clear a wall, and then he was safe....
And then with the acrid taste of gunpowder in my throat, and my eyes bleary with smoke , I stared down at a motley group of men coming towards my house, and then I realised what was happening.....this wasn't a village in a war torn country, it was a small peublo in Andalucia, and yes it was the start of the fiestas.....Now we were in for seven days of wild 'going on' , late drunken nights and loud bands playing into the early hours..
So I turned to my wife, and said ...pass the bottle dear, if we can't beat them...we might as well join them......Cheers.....

So this is a glimpse of real Spain, ..don't miss it..! ! :wink:

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Nice one Benidorm, I was there, leaping the wall with the cat. However I ended the story by being a thief and pinching your rioja !!

It was a much nicer post than an other I have read this evening :roll:

So you say seven nights, can you give us 5 mins of what goes on there as we always miss it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 am

Well done 'K', you spotted my 'follow on' link.....

The black cat who leapt over the wall, was in fact the local witch, who then turned into the thief , who stole my rioja. However the thief got so drunk on my wine that she forgot to renew her spell at the crucial midnight hour...She then turned back into a black cat, who was then immediately run over by an Ikea lorry, on it's way to Malaga....She was of course then a 'flato gato', and was turned into a road sign, by the town council , warning the local cat population not to cross the road at this point.....And now the cats of the village no longer live in fear of being flattened, so some good did come from these strange happenings..... :)

I must add that Fiestas bring much more to the Spanish way of life, there are of course fantastic processions , lots of free food to consume, and plenty to do, for the children....And everyone joins in...I have seen a local Mayor dressed as a baby , complete with giant nappy, and another dressed as a gangster, some might say...more appropriate !
So if you are planning visiting Spain, do check out where and when the fiestas are happening....you won't regret it..... :wink:

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Yes, like you say Benidorm you have to join in cause you certainly don't get much sleep.
Jenny

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:32 pm

Benidorm, with ref to the mayor dressing up I think I saw something similar in the Fiesta mag back in the UK many years ago, :shock: :shock:
Must be catching, or is that a different Fiesta :shock: :oops:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

fiesta

Postby Julie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:33 am

The Benidorm fiesta starts on the 9th of this month, I first went 30 odds years ago and still enjoy it to this day, although things have changed now, I havent seen the cannons for years, but still worth a trip, nice to see the old town thriving as it did years ago. 8)

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you do sleep overs ?? (story telling for kids parties that is !! )

Enjoy your partying

Karmen
Tourist

Postby Karmen » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:03 am

[quote="BENIDORM"]Well done 'K', you spotted my 'follow on' link.....

...I have seen a local Mayor dressed as a baby, complete with giant nappy, and another dressed as a gangster...

Did Madam Cyn have anything to do with that then?!?

Karmen
Fred & Wilma - you ain't seen nothing yet!!!
I LOVE MY CAVE

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:53 pm

........Madam Cyn...
Now there is a 'blast from the past'....I read somewhere that she retired to Spain.......So I guess that there are plenty of Mayors, Policemen and Vicars who she could invite to her 'parties'.... :lol:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:10 pm

BENIDORM I hope you are making up a book of stories...I think they are good. keep at it :lol: :lol: :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:44 am

Silver,
Thanks for that....glad to know that someone appreciates me !....I'm never really sure if I am wasting my time posting on A.com.... :cry: