Expensive Hotels!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Expensive Hotels!

Postby katy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Having just spent a couple of days in the UK I realise how reasonable the andalucian hotels are. Just been totting up my bills and for the price of two nights in the UK and flights I could have flown to Miami and had a night on south beach ...or maybe a few nights in a 5 star here. Not counting the 19 pounds for brekky!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Eastern europeans and people needing assylum from horrible things :? get all that for free love 8).................it's a nasty, violent and expensive place yet everyone wants to come and live here.

Not knocking Katy by the way...........she payed for it.

Don

Postby Don » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:56 pm

Think you got it wrong way around this time Kenny - not like you.
UK hotels bad value for money, Andaluz hotels better is how I read it from Katy. And I agree. 50 quid a night is the best value B&B in UK but in Spain you are talking 4 star for 90 euros.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 am

That's right, very expensive in the UK :? .......why do people want to relocate here?

Kenny

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:01 am

For the wages? It's a bit like someone saying on here a while back, that car hire is more expensive in USA than in Spain :D ¡Qué sorpresa! With wages so much higher here than in Spain, it should come as no surprise that things cost more. :)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:04 am

Or the state benefits?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:07 am

Who? Katy? :D I thought she was minted! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Well i'm booked in to the parador in Granada this December.

And it ain't €90 a night, mate. Its about the same as London, for the same quality.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:52 pm

Some good bargains around in spain just now. The kempinski (fab rooms) have a 400 euro room for 200. They are fairly good in the UK if you want to do the 2 night weekend thing but mid week they are very expensive. I am on the Paradors mail list and they have some good offers.

Don

Postby Don » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:51 pm

ashtondav wrote:Well i'm booked in to the parador in Granada this December.

And it ain't €90 a night, mate. Its about the same as London, for the same quality.
We use paradors a lot when travelling ashtondav and yes, they are not your normal 4 or 5 star rates but they are highly reliable and usually enormous rooms in lovely locations so I can see you have an eye for a little affordable luxury. I cannot agree that they are same price and quality as London as a parador room is often around the 150 euro mark - room only - for a very large comfortable room, which is 100 quid. Where can you get anything similar in London for less than 200 quid?

btw if you use paradors a lot it is worth becoming a parador amigo.

However, elsewhere in Andalucia you get get reasonable rooms still around the 90 euro mark if you so wish.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Personally I prefer Formula 1 -around 30/32 euros a night -after all you're asleep most of the time in a hotel room, so who cares what it's like.
Pity there are only a couple or so in Spain - the one in Getafe, Madrid is particularly nice! :mrgreen:

Don

Postby Don » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 pm

pigs-might-fly wrote:Personally .... after all you're asleep most of the time in a hotel room, so ....
Each to their own pigs, after many hours in the saddle when doing many miles by bike the luxury of a parador is most welcome and .....

No further comment :wink:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Kenny -I was told they all want to go to Goodison Park - God only knows why. :)

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Although mid rather than top range, Sol Melia currently have 4 star hotels availble over here from €52 per night for 2 people Half Board. 3 star from €45 p.n. Half Board. Not many places that cheap in UK.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Yes we should count oursleves lucky we have so many of those affordable luxury hotels in andalucia and around to escape for a long weekend, when all this sun, dreamy landscapes, stunning mountains and laid back lifestyle gets just a tad too stressful... One does like to support local enterprise and check in and chill out from time to time.

Never got the Parador thing though, my experience has always been that the service and quality of food are inferior compared to the independents in the same price bracket. Admitedly there are some fabulous historic buildings and most are good for a G&T on the terrace - assuming you can find a member of the surly ex-stasi staff who have clearly legged it down here to terrorise tourists instead. :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree about (some) independents. I have stayed in a couple off this site. Agree about the food in Paradors, we only breakfast in them. I have had bad experiences with hotels listed as "Boutique' type. Not just in spain but everyone I have stayed in tended to be poor value.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:51 am

Hotel Palacio de los Patos in Granada is the best hotel in Europe....anyone been there :?:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 pm

I agree Katy, 'Boutique' is a much overused and pretty meaningless term that does not indicate any kind of quality, bit like 'design hotel'. My absolute favourite is Los Castanos in Cartajima near Ronda - sweet village, gorgeous countryside, atmospheric little hotel and great hosts. Have been in much grander, more luxurious places but this is the one I always fancy returning to. Do book in advance for dinner because a) its good and b) there are limited options nearby.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for that Geegee, always good to have another place in mind. :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Had a good offer from Molina del santo (near Ronda). Pay for half board and get the room free. The food there is very good too!