Priority boarding scam

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I must warn certain folk that I will hopefully be travelling from East Mids to Malaga on Jan 5th via Easyjet and would not like to offend their finer senses.

I have had the audacity to book and pay for a flight and priority boarding.
In explanation: - Since a spinal injury ten years ago I have been registered disabled. It took a year, but I learned to walk again. I am currently on crutches and also use a wheel chair when necessary.
Horror of horrors I'm also an old biddy with a weight problem, who, during a grey moment, can't remember how big my bladder is but I know it works. I do remember being barged into the tunnel wall by a group of young men anxious to start their holiday in the sun. So by paying for early boarding I will hopefully be out the way rather than underfoot.

Surprise, surprise, my long term memory still functions. I have youthful memories of mountaineering, camping (even in the snow) rally driving, sailing, diving etc. and these will keep me company in my dotage. I'll probably just nod off during the flight. It's a good job none of us know what the future holds.

How very selfish of someone like me to want to fly away on holiday. Or should we be kept out of sight of 'civilised society'
Sandramay

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:38 pm

If you are registered disabled why do you have to pay for priority boarding? I've never flown with Easyjet but as far as I remember other airlines allow wheelchairs on first?

My pet hate is being sat next to someone with the mother of all colds. Sniffing and sneezing all over me. C Kenny started a very amusing thread once which I could completely identify with.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:50 pm

If you are on crutches I would strongly advice not doing the priority boarding route, if you end up bus-ing to the plane its a free for all. As Costapacket points out, you should get on first, they always call for people requiring assistance first.

Costapacket - yes, forgot about the sneezers! And the boiled sweet crunchers :lol: I need a private jet :wink:

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi costapacket, they only allow a small number per flight. So there is a risk of not getting on a flight. Fortunately, to date, I have managed without my personal chair. East Mids is small but I have had a buggy at Malaga.
Don't worry about the person next to you with a cold, with the air con we all catch it :roll:
Sandramay

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I flew with easyjet in October and special assistance passengers were boarded first and then priority boarders, although looking at their website they don't guarantee this, just say they will do their best to allow such passengers extra time.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 pm

I must have the wrong idea what priority boarding is then.
I don't wish in any way to be rude towards people with conditions such as Sandras and that is not what I was referring to.

I was talking about flights where each passenger has already been allocated a seat :idea: . You sit in the airport with able bodied people who are happily toing and frowing from duty free and queuing for a coffee etc. then *beep* me, when you make the effort and get to the gate early the very same people roll up on a buggy and get on the plane first................they also usually want to get off the plane first at the other end, surprise surprise.

I too like Costapacket thought genuinely disabled people did have a right to board first without payment but everyone seems to lay claim to this right, and most of them strolling through first seem as fit as me :?
As I said if it's to avoid a stampede then why not board last.........same difference isn't it?

Sorry also about my weak bladder comment, but I always have a bet with OH on who will be first on the plane to go for a leak, just a joke really :oops: ..........I always get it right though. :wink:

Back on topic, if some airlines charge and pre-book for this privilege as Sandra says then I''ve no problem with it..................but I see it abused on every flight when it's not paid for.

Kenny
Last edited by Campo Kenny on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi Campo Kenny.................... strange. most of the flights we take it's usually a queue of men waiting to lose the four pints of larger from the bar in the departure lounge................ even on the early morning flights :D We always wait till last to disembark...... less waiting around for the luggage.
Sandramay

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 am

Personally I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be on any plane longer than I absolutely have to. I am more than happy to board last on the plane - always making sure I've been to the loo so I don't have to 'go' whilst on the plane.

Did struggly holding my bladder last June however when a fellow passanger decided they could not go through with the flight and we all had to wait while they found her baggage in the hold and whilst her mates tried to convince her that she would be ok - all to no avail. Personally I'm in favour of 3 penalty points on her passport as we lost our take off slot and arrived in Malaga an hour late. :twisted:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 am

Sandramay, was there a point to the original posting??
Ah! the full english!!

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Retro P, if you take your shades off you might see it 8)
Sandramay

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:18 pm

Let's pretend I'm really, really thick and you explain it to me eh!!
Ah! the full english!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Having read through this thread, it seems that paying ahead for an allocated seat is a better bet than paying for priority boarding, which seems to be a bit hit and miss. Bmibaby offered the chance of choosing and booking a seat of my choice before I completed the booking. It does seem to be better value rather than what appears to be the disorganised scrum that takes place even with priority boarding. As I'm short and travelling alone, I do not care where I sit so I amble on at the end and do not join in on the initial rush.( I apologise in advance if any of you are unlucky enough to sit next to me and get my life story :lol: )

BTW Retro, not all of us are travelling to holiday homes. As mentioned in numerous other threads, some of us live here on a far lower income than some of the other contibutors on this forum, and I prefer not to spend a lot on flights if I can help it.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Well we've just received an e.mail from those nice people at easyJet to say they have upgraded us free of charge to Speedy Boarding Plus for our flight next week so I will let you know how it goes. :D

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:52 pm

Lucky you. That's the one where they fire you from a cannon after check-in straight into the luggage hold with your bags. I think you are first off the plane too at the other end and you don't have to walk anywhere you just end up on the carousel - with your bag. :lol: Have a good flight. :lol:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: Wot and miss seeing all those lovely tile muriels on the corridor walls from the conveyor belt and the lovely porthole aquariums, I'm depressed now. :(

I will be so :oops: if the luggage carousel sticks but at least if I have my bag and not someone elses it will be a bonus. :)

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Why don't you pack a couple of photo albums to keep you amused on the way to arrivals now you're not travelling with the riff raff :lol: I wouldn't worry about the carousel sticking K they're built to carry heavy bags :lol: :lol: On the conveyor belt tonight we have..........wot's this a broomstick :lol:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:56 pm

You are out of order Costa, suggesting I carry excess baggage indeed. :roll:

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Heaven forbid Safe I would NEVER suggest such a thing :oops: I'm sure Speedy Boarding Plus will cover your baggage. :lol: Have a fab holiday in Sapin.

Did you pay for priority boarding in the first instance to get the upgrade??

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:13 am

costapacket wrote: Did you pay for priority boarding in the first instance to get the upgrade??
Yes no expense spared even paid for 2 suitcases there and back. :)

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:28 am

We've also been 'given' a 'free' upgrade .......... evidently they are providing a dedicated check-in desk for people who have paid for priority boarding. We'll see, I suspect it will be an optional extra next time :)
Sandramay