Where else have you lived?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Where else have you lived?

Postby Paula » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Seems quite a lot of people here have lived in other countries (other than the UK of course) before settling on Andalucia.
Where have you all lived and how did it compare?

We lived in Florida for a few years, loved the winters, loved the house. Loved being so close to the caribbean. 8) Didn't like the humidity of summer, was terrified of the hurricanes, and we were there in a biggy. Also too far from family and friends. Made a small number of excellent friends though on the whole generally felt on a different wavelength.

I worked and lived in New York for 1 year at an age when I thought it was fantastic. New Yorkers, once you get to know them are great fun with a good sense of humour. As a city I think it has everything, and still love to visit but couldn't live there now.

I worked in California for 4 mths and that was the closest to here, very many similarities. But a lot of weirdos :shock: :lol: Don't think I would want to live there.

My brother has lived in Sydney for 10 years and absolutely loves it, too far away for me, can't even visit.

Anyone lived in Italy, I could quite fancy a spell there.

Still think as far as sunshine goes (not this weekend) and ease of getting to UK this has to be the best place to be.

We are considering Florida again for longer winter visits, and the rest between here and UK.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:51 pm

My Dad was in the Army and i spent all of my childhood in various parts of Germany.Which as i got to nightclub age was fantastic.The country is immaculate,and the younger Germans were great.Not sure about the older ones tho. :?
Hubby now wants to move to OZ.(they need hairdressers there :roll: )
But i am settled here-Oz is too far away-although would probably be much easier way of living than spain.(language,laws etc)
We wouldnt move anywhere now until my son has finished his education. :wink:

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Lived in Brooklyn, New York as a child for about 18 months then my parents decided to move back to the UK. Don't remember a lot about it other than a very hot, dry, dusty summer, a bitterly cold winter and a wonderful summer holiday in Cape Cod, where the Kennedys had a summer home!! Probably yet another of my Dad's 'lies', but he still tells us we played with Caroline Kennedy :roll: We are the same age so it's just possible our paths crossed, me sitting on the kerb, her going past in Daddy's limo :wink:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 pm

I lived in France for a few weeks when I was 20 as an au-pair. It was only for a few weeks as the family I worked for were completely bonkers, I was the 5th au-pair they had and the kids were only 19 months old :shock: . A friend I met there tried to help me get another job but it was coming up to winter so not many jobs around. The people I met there were amazing and I was desperate to stay but had no work and no home so had to go back to the UK, lets hope this is 2nd time lucky!!!! :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Parents had to move every 3/4 years because of work. Some time in Europe including madrid and casablanca. Remember very little.

Happiest time was 3 years in New York, we lived in a village on the Hudson river and there was a train went into Central Station.

OH also travelled a bit, almost 3 years in Zaire (now Republic of Congo) (love Africa but the poverty gets you down). One year in Norway, great people didn't like the place, nice scenery for a day or two!

We did the winters in Florida from here. First year we had someone living here to look after the pets. I missed them too much so the second year we took 2 dogs and a cat, logistical nightmare! Haven't been away since for more than a month. Do frequent visits to Paris and netherlands as Son and Daughter there.

Oh, forgot. I did the au-pair bit. A village near Segovia, La navas del rio frio. ****ing nightmare.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:21 pm

katy wrote: Happiest time was 3 years in New York, we lived in a village on the Hudson river and there was a train went into Central Station.
Not The Hamptons Katy :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Nah :) Cold Spring, near Westpoint. Nice quiet place though. Lived up to its name in the winter but long summers. A little van used to sell hot mulled wine on the riverside in winter.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Great place, but I have been cold enough here today, definitely couldn't cope with NY winters, no matter how much mulled wine they threw at me!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:55 pm

I have lived in Italy. When I was 17 for a few months. I literally lived on the beach and sang in bars at night. I loved it then but now marvel at my carefree attitude and the lack of security (and safety) that i had at that time.

Then Canada for a year in an area that was the equivalent of the "campo" here in Spain. Taught me a lot and I loved it there. VERY clean, VERY orderly. Also experienced life in the South of England before moving back to the North. Dare i say it? The North I found to be much more friendly with a defined divide.

As had been said previously on other threads I find that people will fall into 2 categories. Never be happy wherever they lay their hat or, find the good in their chosen land and hold tightly on to it.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm

That was brave and carefree for a 17 yr old!

Have lots of friends in Canada, I have only visited and think its breathtakingly beautiful, and clean as you say. But like my friends that live there, I couldn't cope with the winters!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 pm

You are so right Paula. I was frozen solid for months. Such pain.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:39 pm

That takes some courage Annie :) I had a friend who did some holiday work in canada. She moved hired cars around and used to drive right across the place. She said the mozzies were awful in summer.

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:22 pm

London, Essex, london, Ireland, Fuengirola, cartama, Kent...fave place London and Kent.