publisher wanted for the book!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Travelogic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Publisher

Postby Travelogic » Wed May 28, 2008 11:37 am

If the book is going to be published, Are travel stories wanted?
In July 1986, a bunch of friends and me went to Ibiza for a fortnight of, well, what a bunch of hetrosexual red-blooded late teen-early twenties males get up to in Ibiza. I actually think we helped shape Ibiza into what it is today!! Anyway, Frank Bruno was fighting Tim Witherspoon for the Heavyweight title, yet another of Frank's failures, but the barman told us that it was being shown live on a huge projection TV in Figueritas, then a small resort near Playa D'en Bossa, on the far side of the island. With copious quantities of Tropical already being processed, we decided that a boat about to leave fo a night's fishing at sea, would be far more useful as a passenger carrying vessel, that if driven not too far from land would surely find it's way to Figueritas, if we kept the land on our left. The fishermen seemed to be in no hurry on board so we beat them to it and drunkenly decided to borrow their boat. It was a great boat and even had plenty of snacks in the galley, so we happily de-berthed and were on our way, followed immediately by a floatilla of other similar vessels that we thought might want to see the boxing match too. As it turned out, they were well up for a boxing match, but the batons, spanners etc. that they had with them, afforded an unfair disadvantage on our part.
Before we reached the mouth of the port, 3 of the accompanying boats were level with us and before you could say 'sholy hit!!', 12 swarthy boyos with batons flailing around like the blades of a helicopter, rained blows on all 8 of our crew with little retaliation as 5 minutes later, police came on board and offered similar treatment, but the special police batons seemed to render us even quieter than the utilitarian specimens belonging to the fishermen.
Next morning, in the local police station at San Antonio where all eight of us had spent the night in a bare room 10' x 10', we were treated to the same again before being thrown into the back of a van, minus some hair, blood and some teeth, driven to the port and shipped straight to Palma Mallorca where we were given free accommodation until we appeared in court seven weeks later, and on average, 2 stone lighter. A brief hearing that none of us understood, resulted in us being accompanied to Palma airport and being placed directly on board a 737 charter flight to Glasgow. We had to sit at the back and were on board before any other passengers, which in a way is VIP treatment I suppose.
I haven't been back to Ibiza, but I believe seafood is still very popular there. I had cracked ribs, broken thumb, broken toes, broken nose and various cuts, but apart from that I wasn't too bad and have healed quite well, as have the similar inflictions on my three surviving friends (the other four were from the extra rough part of Glasgow), but I have to say that I learned my lesson well. That is, to make sure to nick a quicker boat next time. :(
Soy el hombre con tres piernas

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed May 28, 2008 11:48 am

Ah!!! Exactly what I would like to see happen to the burglars that have nicked my belongings on more than one occasion. :lol:
Sorry Gavilan, nothing to do with your thread.

Travelogic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Travelogic » Wed May 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Paula, I have to say that this was the only time ever that I was involved in nicking something, and truly just thought we were just borrowing it. I also believe (nowadays anyway) that the treatment from the police was justified and I support that kind of treatment for burglars, even though at the time, I wasn't too chuffed.
Soy el hombre con tres piernas

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 am

Er :oops: am I the only person who dosn't know what Gavilan's book is about??!!! I'm intrigued.
BTW. I (in blissful ignorance of the 'status quo' at the outset of a journalistic/writing career) decided to write a horsecare book and sent a synopsis out to about six or seven publishers, gleaned from Writers and Artists yearbook. One of them was Penguin who, to my astonishment, snapped it up and published it! So don't lose faith -- unsolicited appeals DO sometimes work ....and no, I didn't have an agent!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

publisher wanted for the book!

Postby gavilan » Thu May 29, 2008 11:07 am

tjtops: lucky you and well done re Penguin ... see the thread 'the book is finiished!' to know what my book was/is about (travel, tourism and destinations)