Scumbag..

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Scumbag..

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:27 pm

The other night when I reached Granada Airport I needed the loo, silly me....I hadn't followed the advice given by my Wife.......'You had better go to the loo before we set off'..she whispered sweetly in my ear.....

Now I know that I should have listened, especially as for the past 42 years my Sweet Lady has always decided to visit the loo, just as I am about to lock the front door.....Always listen to the Missus...she knows best....I am so accustomed to this ritual, that I have now placed a comfy chair near the front door, with a copy of B&Q sanitary fittings catalogue...to while away the time.....
Anyway.. where was I...oh yes...I had set off to the loo in the airport departures lounge, and of course when I got there it was being cleaned..by a fierce looking Senora....It wasn't putting off many of the old Spanish men, who carried on watering the shiny white porcelain water troughs that adorn the walls in Gents loos....But me ..well I can't concentrate on that said task, when a female cleaner is shoving a mop around my legs.... :oops:

So I left quickly and headed for the arrival area loo....as I arrived at the door a sleazy character with long greasy hair tried his best to 'bump' into me...but I have a built in Gitano alert system, and now one of my hands goes to my wallet and the other goes in front of me to push away the nasty little low life .....
I came out of the loo, somewhat relieved, I may add.....And of course Scumbag was there again...attempting to collide with me, but he soon moved away quickly when I waved a clenched fist in his face and told him to f f f f...move off.....
Now of course I'm not racist...well maybe a 'smidgin'.....but under my breath I cursed him and his loving Mother and Father and hoped that one of the wheels of his caravan falls off..
Arriving back at the departure lounge seat, reserved for me by my thoughtful Wife, I sat down, and because she could see steam coming out of my ears, she said 'What's up Chuck'..so I told her the tale of the Scumbag toilet door lurker....
I had just finished telling her, when low and behold....Scumbag is there in front of me again, but this time trying to sit next to a pretty, lone young English girl.....He moved closer to her, chatting her up in broken Ingleese, as his eyes undressed her and then he focused on her handbag....
I was just about to jump up and have a go at him, when the young girls parents returned from the restaurant, he got up and left quickly....
I was so incensed that I went looking for the local airport Bobby, and when I eventually found him, I told him about Scumbag...but would you believe it...he said he could do little about it , unless a crime had been committed.....Now if I had ended up thumping this miserable excuse for a human being.....the Scumbag that is... not the local Bobby.....I would have no doubt been arrested......no justice in this world ..is there ?

So the moral of my story is..watch out for lurking scumbags in airports...or anywhere else for that matter.... :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:31 pm

good for you for not letting yourself or anyone else around you become yet another victim..
SuperBeni! :D :D

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:59 pm

I think I can see steam coming out of the laptop!
Like your idea of comfy chair near door - I have same problem with OH. I'll rush to get ready then it's ' just need to go to the loo' from him.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:40 pm

I have only once witnessed a pickpocket having a go into a girl's rucksack, in a crowded market. Nobody was taking any notice in spite of seeing what was going on. No police in sight, so just as he got his hand inside, I stamped hard on his instep to attract his attention, and while shaking his hand to congratulate him on his expertise, I must have pressed a little too hard and heard a finger snap. Clumsy. I just walked on, smiling.
Pickpockets seem to have multiplied since Eastern Bloc countries have joined the EEC. Police can not be everywhere and until the punishments are made severe it will continue. I do not think judges and magistrates realise the anguish and traumna of victims when their monet, creduit cards, car keys, even their whole identity is stolen. The idea that action will be taken only if violence is used in the crime does not sit right with me.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 am

my son who is here on holiday saw a pair of pickpockets at fuengirola market,the next day we were walking along fuengirola seafront when he saw the same two getting very close to an elderly gentleman,we all turned,i was just about to shout 'oy'in my best spanish when they stopped what they were about to do,turned and smiled at us.
they had 2 other people keeping watch walking about 10 yards behind who whistled to say they had been spotted by us.

unfortunatly this is part of living in a holiday area,the police cant even stop the blatent carnation 'sellers',over the years,my wife and i have stopped a few people being robbed by them,rarely get thanks as the people just dont understand whats going on,should be more publicised if the bill wont do anything

on one occasion i witnessed a robbery about to take place and the would be thief turned and farted at me,i thought that was funny

shame you cant use stronger words than scumbag here
jayne countys most famous song,google it

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:17 pm

frog wrote: unfortunatly this is part of living in a holiday area,the police cant even stop the blatent carnation 'sellers',

and this is yet another reason why not to live in the tacky touristy area of fuengi,bmadena and marbella area. how much more relaxing to be able to go to your local market or village or town and feel so safe from tourist seeking theives.you may as well be back in uk.

why people want the security of brit in the sun is beyond me.there is so much more to be gained, and for you to give, to immerse yourself in your spanish surroundings and embrace the culture resulting in peaceful living happy times and no amount of money can buy the enormous feeling of safety you get living within the spanish countryside - and still being able to enjoy the unspoilt beaches only 10 minutes away. unlike having to squeeze into a 5ft x 2ft space on the tacky tourist beaches at the minute-whilst stil getting hassled by the tourist touts.:lol:

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:33 pm

not quite sure what i was listening tothe other week, it was on radio R E M but i just got in the car from shopping and the radio was just saying that that the courts here in Spain can not punish a theft if the value is under €400??? does this sound right,?? or did i get the wrong end of the chat show,??if true ,blimey the scumbags just love it,

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:30 pm

Was it Zapatero who said, if you're going to steal, just steal a little - if you get greedy and try to steal too much, you may get caught? Oh no, I think that was Mobuto. Easy mistake. :oops:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 pm

maddy wrote:
frog wrote: unfortunatly this is part of living in a holiday area,the police cant even stop the blatent carnation 'sellers',
and this is yet another reason why not to live in the tacky touristy area of fuengi,bmadena and marbella area. how much more relaxing to be able to go to your local market or village or town and feel so safe from tourist seeking theives.you may as well be back in uk.

why people want the security of brit in the sun is beyond me.

Isuppose this is why you chose to interract on a British based website, eh, still Isuppose with Bubba gone :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Inland isn't always better - we have a house in the middle of an olive grove, about 20 mins from Antequera, which hadn't been fenced. Someone came & threw rocks at the pool 'toldo' (which we had just had repaired after a flood) and made several holes in it. According to my friend who keeps an eye on the house for us, the police say there has been a problem with "Romans" (which I assume are either gypsies or Rumanians !) looking for empty houses they can squat in !

Last time we were there tho', three kids came wandering up the side of our house towards the pool, and when they saw us they stopped dead in their tracks and then turned around and walked slowly away until they were out of sight, then ran like H**l !! My hubby followed them in the car, and found them at one of the houses up the track !! We have told our friend, and she will keep an eye out for them, but they had such a shock I don't think they will come back.

Anyway, we're now having a fence put in (tho' I'm not that keen about it, but it's better to be safe than sorry !!)

Cheers,
Chris

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:08 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Inland isn't always better

I didnt say Inland was better.I said touristy Brit areas are best avoided if you dont want thieves, vandals, etc.Antequera tho inland is a Brit area in my mind,thus equals to more problems than a typically spanish pueblo.

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Retro P wrote:
maddy wrote:

why people want the security of brit in the sun is beyond me.

RetroP Wrote: Isuppose this is why you chose to interract on a British based website, eh, still Isuppose with Bubba gone :wink:
retrop-I have read your post 5 times and still cant fathom out what feeling safe from thieves has to do with chatting on a british based forum :? :roll: and your last comment about a bubba makes even less sense.i shall put it down to 1 vino too many for you rather than assume you are as dense as your sentence makes out :lol:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I did say about 20 mins drive from Antequera.....!! Our house is actually just outside the small village of Estacion de Archidona, where altho' there are a few Brits, the villagers don't speak English as a rule, so it's definitely NOT a Brit area !!

Cheers,
Chris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Estacion de Archidona is def. rural- we used to live in a hamlet not that far away. It´s hardly a village, I´d call it a small hamlet. It has some nice properties there though.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 am

ok,let me explain to you bonkers lot.

i live in fuengirola,in the first three years i had 5 crimes commited against me,2 to my apartment(rented),1 to car,and 2 to my bar,inthe last 7 years nothing as i am more aware and have made precautions

in the uk although i lived in rural devon over a 10 year period i had my car stolen twice and 1 break in at my house and 1 break in at my pub

crime happens anywhere,you just need to be aware,if you think you are safe in the countryside here as you are miles from tacky tourist resorts then refer to my opening statement

most crime on the coast is petty and if you are aware you wont be a victim
it occurs mostly to tourists and apartment renters,unfortunatly most people are not aware and i am afraid that some of you relaxed countryside dwellers may find when you are down your lovely little local spanish market buying your olives may one day come home to a problem

but then with your cocky attitudes dare i say you deserve it.....
jayne countys most famous song,google it

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:16 am

I must say,i have lived in Spain for 5 years now,near very touristy Gibraltar...various people i have met along the way have had bags snatched from guys on motos,and seen other various crimes,knives and guns wielded at them,the works. :shock:
I have never ever seen anything untoward,I dont venture down the rough sections,I am very security conscious even my handbag gets held by my hand round the strap when slung over my arm.
My doors are always locked,even when in the house,and if i venture upstairs,the downstairs living room window is always shut before i go.
Its just being sensible.
Frog is correct in what he says you can live in the middle of nowhere and still be a target for crime if you are not security conscious.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am

The most dangerous place in the world to live according to official statistics is the sleepy village of Midsomer in the heart of leafy rural England.............at least one murder is carried out every day and a visit to the summer fete is *beep* lethal for your well being!!!!!!
They only have 2 policemen there to look after the poor tormented villagers but one is always at the botox clinic :shock:

Kenny

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm

I´d certainly not like to live in Midsomer- bet the house prices are low :lol: :lol:
Today in Eroski the Spanish lady in front on me unpacked her basket on wheels put her small amount of shopping the the conveyor belt and left a carton of drink her son had consumed in the corner of the basket and tucked the basket under the till. I was very tempted to say ´excuse me you have left something in your basket´ and put it up with the rest of the shopping but I bottled out. What sort of example is that mother setting to her child? My son once took some margarine off the shelf and took a bite out of it, he soon spat it out :shock: I paid for the margerine, the girl on the till pointed out the packet was damaged, I said my son had done it, the lady behind me said I should have just put it back on the shelf..... I pointed out my son had taken it and damaged it (by eating it) so I paid for it, no arguement. Honesty starts at an early age, and hopefully lasts a lifetime.

George in Spain
Tourist

Re: Scumbag..

Postby George in Spain » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:44 pm

BENIDORM wrote:So the moral of my story is..watch out for lurking scumbags in airports...or anywhere else for that matter.... :D
My wife has stolen more money out of my wallet than any lurking scumbag ever has. :cry: Maybe I could get her arrested :idea:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Wish someone would lock up our puppy- he steals shoes :(