Another Airline mini rant

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:30 pm

For the first time I shall be travelling with hand-luggage only later this year and so I can check in on-line before I leave home. As this means that I go straight to the security control presumably there is no-one to really question the size of my luggage? I too have been surprised by the size of some of the bags people lug onto the plane, and I worry about my little wheelie trolley-bag which is within the size limits.

Don

Postby Don » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:52 pm

Wicksey wrote:For the first time I shall be travelling with hand-luggage only later this year and so I can check in on-line before I leave home. As this means that I go straight to the security control presumably there is no-one to really question the size of my luggage?
Ultimately Wicksey, the staff at the gate can and if they are in the mood or if the plane is very full, sometimes will insist that certain bags are not carried aboard. They label them as "checked at gate" and give you a receipt but they do not weigh them. How it would work with Ryanair and others who charge for hold luggage I dont know but the gate is the final check for everything carried on board the aircraft.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:03 pm

One thing to definitely not take on board and put in an overhead locker is a jacket or coat.

We had been making several trips using Air Berlin then had the misfortune to use Easyjet going to the UK.

It was then we witnessed the mob with their overweight cases on wheels and god knows what else forcing it all into the overhead lockers with no consideration whatsoever for the belongings of other people.

As for the same type consuming what seemed like tons of food and drink non stop during the flight :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don

Postby Don » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I am afraid that is common on many flights Bongtrees, irrespective of airline. If putting a coat or jacket up in the locker, always better to put hyour own bag up then keep your jacket/coat until all other bags are up and then get up again to lay your jacket/coat neatly on top or wherever it will fit.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Bongtrees wrote: As for the same type consuming what seemed like tons of food and drink non stop during the flight :shock: :shock: :shock:
errrmm ..... I'm afraid I'm one of those "types" (the eating types, not 'cramming my luggage in the overhead locker' types as I cannot reach them) :oops: :oops:. As Don said, by the time you get on the flight you may have been up hours and I need to eat every meal time otherwise I get dizzy spells! It also keeps me occupied during the flight which I usually find quite boring. The last thing I want to do when I arrive at the other end is to start looking for somewhere to eat or buy food. With a full tum I can then go straight to pick up the hire car and be off and away!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Well we have Monarchs finest breakfast going out and their beef or chicken in a sublime and creamy hand made sauce with a fricasse of country greens on the way back.................food fit for a king Image

DA
Last edited by Devils Advocate on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

julian
Andalucia Guru

flight

Postby julian » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:36 pm

the nonstop eating and drinking only happens on uk flights, you don´t see it with other nationalities, I think the difference is that the british treat life as a race and can´t "waste" time stopping somewhere on route for a relaxed meal and drink that doesn´t come out of a plastic bag and tin foil.Life is not a race!!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:39 pm

People scoffing don't wind me up but people who ask for "comfort packs" on a 2 and a bit hour flight need beating up :twisted: .
DA

julian
Andalucia Guru

flight

Postby julian » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:41 pm

maybe a baseball bat should be included in the comfort pack

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 pm

With a spike in it for cretins who pour crisps on the floor and stand on them before they leave the plane.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Flying has lost it's glamour since the cheap Airlines started :( I really cringed when I saw everyone in the Easyjet queue with their Asda carrier bags full of food. Julian is right other nationalities don't do it as much. I don't eat at all except to pick at it if it's placed in front of me. True about the jackets too, even if it is placed on top of the bags they seem compelled to spend half the time rummaging in them and just screw your small jacket up :x

All the problems with hold baggage...surely as flights are so cheap (some posters say they have got them for twenty pounds or so) it wouldn't break the bank to pay a tenner for a hold bag. I hate carrying bags around the Airport, just a small one for me :)

PS. the last easyjet flight we took cost 519 GBP return including one suitcase!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:55 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel ... 988283.ece

A few months old but still relevant. I did notice at Málaga the speedy check-in was closed and two couples were frantically looking around at the other two moving queues :lol:

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Easyjet DON'T have a weight limit on hand luggage, except you must be able to put it in the overhead locker unaided. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I agree with you trigger, Check in on-line, take hand luggage as long as it is the correct size, you can even carry bricks if so inclined...what's the problem?...I love easy jet, like catching the local bus, but gets you further quicker and far cheaper....take your own food and water (purchased in the airport) and a good book to read...before you know it you have landed in the place of your desire...you can't beat it.
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

julian
Andalucia Guru

flight

Postby julian » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:36 pm

there is nothing wrong with the cheap airline concept , but I fell that with a small amount of effort you could be treated as a customer instead of being treated like cattle and made to feel very unwelcome.

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:39 pm

I agree with you trigger, Check in on-line, take hand luggage as long as it is the correct size, you can even carry bricks if so inclined...what's the problem?...I love easy jet, like catching the local bus, but gets you further quicker and far cheaper....take your own food and water (purchased in the airport) and a good book to read...before you know it you have landed in the place of your desire...you can't beat it.
Yeah, except you have just spent 2 1/2 hours next to some whinger complaining that you have too much hand luggage or are eating and drinking. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:59 pm

I doubt the so called ¨whinger¨ would engage in conversation with someone who should be in cattle class.

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Obviously you must be answering on behalf of all the whingers in this thread. If you pay peanuts you fly with monkeys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:49 am

Oh blimey! All I mentioned was butty bags and nearly everyone has talked about how much we consume! I only wanted to get the point over that I had 3 lots of hand luggage that went through at Granada Airport security and they didn't bat an eyelid, yet at Liverpool it's a case of 'only 1 piece of hand luggage allowed through'.

Apart from that, my butties are much better than the ones you get on board and yes, I would have been up for hours before I even fly (1.5 hours drive to the airport plus check in etc.) so I am usually starving!!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 am

deleted

Don

Postby Don » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 pm

anewlife wrote:... Apart from that, my butties are much better than the ones you get on board ...
And that alone is reason enough to take your own picnic on board.
Saludos