Another Airline mini rant

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:15 pm

How strange, just received an e-mail from Ryanair reminding me that one 1 piece of hand luggage is allowed with 10kg maximum and size of 55 x 40 x 20cm.

No change there then but they do state that , handbags, lap tops and duty free must be carried inside this one piece of luggage.

That's unusual to reiterate that, I reckon they must be clamping down somewhere so be warned.
:roll:

For one horrible moment I thought they were either bringing the size and/or weight down or even charging for cabin luggage
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 am

Monarch scheduled hand luggage
56cm length x 45cm wide x 25cm deep 22x17¾x9¾
Maximum weight of hand baggage must not exceed 10kg

BMI Baby hand luggage:
55cm length x40cm wide x20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½
with no weight restriction. However, each passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overheard storage bins without assistance.

Easyjet hand luggage
55cm length x 40cm wide x20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½
no weight restriction within reasonable limits — i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

Globespan hand luggage
55cm length x 45cm wide x 20cm deep 21½x17¾x8½
including wheels and handles
no weight restriction passengers must be able to put their own bag in the overhead lockers without assistance

Ryanair hand luggage
55cm length x 40cm wide x 20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½

Flybe hand luggage
50cm length x 35cm wide x 23cm deep 19¾x13¾x9¼
including wheels, handles, side pockets etc .

British Airways hand luggage
56cm length x 45cm wide x 25cm deep 22x17¾x9¾ one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase
A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.
NB. Cabin crew will assist customers with additional needs.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:30 am

Wow Alexander, good post - one thing to remember is that nearly all airports now say the handbag or any other bag must fit inside the one bag you are taking onboard when leaving UK, but in Spain they seem a little more relaxed and stick to one bag plus handbag....so leave room in hand luggage on way back for handbags inside cabin bags........ :wink:

Don

Postby Don » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:44 am

Jool, at least at Gatwick the "one bad through security" restriction was lifted some weeks/months ago. Earlier in the year it was one bag only but in August they had relaxed it. Apparently that was an airport thing, not an airline thing and it was lifted on different dates at the different airports.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:36 am

alexander1: and Jet2? :shock:
Up to 10kg, 46cmx30cmx23cm.
Checked luggage allowance 17kg.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Sorry peteroldracer - haven't used Jet2 - yet! :) However I have recently booked to fly with Ryanair just before Xmas - first time and again shortly after New Year - so will post how things go - if and when it happens!

julian
Andalucia Guru

book

Postby julian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

wendyakemp
Resident

Re: Another Airline mini rant

Postby wendyakemp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:52 am

Just an observation, someone noted that some airlines to do not have wieght restrictions on hand luggage, this may be true but they all have to abide by C.A.A.rules and if you check their website you will see it is stricktly 10kg and one bag with max dimensions very similar to those quoted on Ryanair.
I always weigh myself and then again with my carry on bag to see how much it weighs as I have seen many a young lady in tears as they head back to check in with an overweight bag....mine has been weighed a few times as it is very near size limit and a bright colour so attracts attention.(prbably got a guilty face too).

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: book

Postby costagirl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:01 pm

julian wrote:anyone read this book?
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 18316.html

bought it for the hubby....he in that business and thought he would enjoy it.

its called ruinair !!!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:27 pm

The overhead lockers should be reserved only for the screaming offspring of those selfish barstewards who insist on a holiday abroad way before their brats are old enough. The constant crying is definately enough to start air rage.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't think it is the child's age or fault, I firmly believe, as with dogs, blame the owner.On a recent trip I ended up as babysitter to two three year olds while mother swanned off dumping the smelly infant with poor dad. Having had much experience of flying and babies (dogs also) you must also agree that sometimes you look behind and find, to your suprise, a quiet infant/child. Please don't berate me over these comments as I also have an adult child who has always suffered with middle ear problems on flights so I know it is not all plain sailing, and I know they don't come with a manual either but I seem to be finding a lot of switched off parents on board lately!! (Do you think its that "holiday mode" thing).

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Agree totally with you Wendy. I travel very frequently and have no problem with young children on flights and it can happen they get cranky (ear ache etc) but what gets me is the way some parents think 'oh the cabin crew can look after them now' and believe me that does happen.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:14 pm

JAKE M wrote:The overhead lockers should be reserved only for the screaming offspring of those selfish barstewards who insist on a holiday abroad way before their brats are old enough.
Also Jake, have you not thought the "brats not old enough for a holiday" are on their way back home after visiting family in a different country?

I have been unable to fly this year, and if it wasn´t for my brother bringing his 2 children (one a little baby) over to see their Auntie Karen, then I wouldn´t have gotten to see them!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:25 pm

Perhaps karandjon, but we flew to Madrid and back from Malaga. Different tribe,Same noise.
The point I'm making is that the ones making all the noise are the one's with ineffective parents.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 pm

JAKE M wrote:Perhaps karandjon, but we flew to Madrid and back from Malaga. Different tribe,Same noise.
The point I'm making is that the ones making all the noise are the one's with ineffective parents.
Thats the point Costagirl and wendykemp made, of which i agree with. :?
...your comment was that the "screaming brats are travelling on holiday abroad way before they are old enough" - big difference.

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 pm

does it annoy anyone when the passengers all clap and cheer when the flight lands ??

or is it just me. it really bugs me. :|

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:04 pm

costagirl wrote:does it annoy anyone when the passengers all clap and cheer when the flight lands ??

or is it just me. it really bugs me. :|
I have only noticed that on the flights to visit my sister in ireland...and back again to Faro...with all the Irish on board!!! I swear it is an Irish custom as it doesnt happen on any other flights!!! :lol:

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Gosh you could be right there Karen,

Some of us Irish have some daft ideas :lol: :lol: :lol:

wish the crew would ban it in the same way mobile phones are banned.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:23 pm

costagirl wrote:Gosh you could be right there Karen,

Some of us Irish have some daft ideas :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just noticed your location... :lol:

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:27 pm

karandjon wrote:[
Thats the point Costagirl and wendykemp made, of which i agree with. :?
...your comment was that the "screaming brats are travelling on holiday abroad way before they are old enough" - big difference.
My point was that in general, the ineffective parents are the ones who take babies abroad on holiday with complete disregard for anyone else on board for their childs behaviour.