Jerez or Seville?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
dinosaurnothing

Jerez or Seville?

Postby dinosaurnothing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 pm

I am planning a surprise, 40th birthday trip for my wife and I and would like some assistance in choosing between Jerez and Seville. The weekend is 19th-21st Sept and both places have festivals (seville= bienal Flemenco, Jerez= Autumn Festival). I know little about either so would be intersted in people's experiences of the places or the festivals. We are not die-hard flemenco fanatics but my wife has always longed to learn so a gentle introduction, with maybe lessons during the day and shows in the evening followed by trips to classic Flemenco bars is the type of thing I am thinking. Any hotel recommendations would also be useful. Any input would be much appreciated

Many thanks
dinosaurnothing

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 pm

think Seville offers more choice and during your weekend there is a performance by Sara baras and her troupe of flamenco performers in the version of Carmen based on the story (nothing to do with Bizet's opera but it helps if you know that !) .
If you decide to see Seville then book the theatre soon - you can do this online. http://www.bienal-flamenco.org/web2008/index.asp

La Raya
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby La Raya » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Both cities are interesting, but for me Sevilla has the most to offer every time, with a wide variety of things to see and do. Some interesting ideas on this site:

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/places/spain/seville/tips

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:12 pm

I have to say, entertainment apart, we prefer Jerez, but both are very nice towns. We stay at the Trypp hotel in Jerez which couldn't be more central and has underground parking which is useful (12€ pn extra).

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Personally, if i had the choice between the 2, i would choose Sevilla, for the same reasons as La Raya.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

dinosaurnothing

Postby dinosaurnothing » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for all the help. With the positive comments and the fact there is a direct flight from Milan (where I live) I think Seville is coming out the winner. On the Bienal Festival sight there is a option to book tickets, hotels, extras through a company called 'Viajes Boreal - Official Reservation Centre for Hotels and Sepecial Programmes'. I have asked for a quote and they have suggested they might be able to get Carmen tickets whereas when I tried to buy direct they had sold out. I wondered if anyone knows if this is a commercial travel agent or a not for profit booking system set up by the region to help people (and hotels etc) benefit from the festival?
Thanks again
D

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 pm

That Viajes Boreal looks to me as a commercial travel agent which is presumably working with the Flamenco festival organisers. Am sure that you could find them useful.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Just looked at the bi annual web site and read; Faced with massive demand for tickets, the festival has decided to extend the run of three shows. ‘Carmen’ by Sara Baras will also be shown on 21st September at Teatro Maestranza, in addition to the two previous days which are already sold out.

So certainly looks very popular this year which is not surprising.
Don't overlook the fact that these special erformances by stars is the reason for this Flamenco festival but there will be the regualr flamenco shows running alongside, so it's not the end of the world if you cannot book to see the show at the theatre.
For other Flamenco venues would suggest you look at this helpful page:
http://www.andalucia.com/flamenco/tablaos.htm
or take a look at one specific to Seville
http://www.exploreseville.com/flamenco.htm

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:52 am

Sara is amazing in concert. Ive seen her twice live.

Los Gallos in the Barrio Santa Cruz has a superb flamenco show

There is a very authentic bar in Triana called something like Anselmos?????
also worth a visit. Purist type of place.