Gibraltar by car

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Gibraltar by car

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Does anyone know what the latest situation is regards entering and leaving Gib with your car? How long are the queues, which days / times are best / worst, is it best to leave it in La linea, and if so, where to park, if you do take it in, can you park at Morrisons for a few hours, etc., etc., ??????
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

daismarg
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daismarg » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I went last Monday and there was not one queue, either going in or coming out! I normally park just before the runway in the Rotunda car park and costs about £1.00 for about 3 hours. A lot of people use Morrison's supermarket car park but you can only park there for about 3 hours before you get clamped!

We find its easier to park where we do then walk into town, do our bits and bobs then walk back to get the car then drive to Morrison's and do our bulk shopping!

The best time to avoid would be between 1600-1800 when workers leave to go back into Spain and that is when the queues build up and also a lot of planes leave then, hence the closing of the runway which also causes queues!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks a lot for that. This Rotunda car park, is this between the border and the runway then, or after you cross the runway? I don't recall any rotunda, but then, it's been a while....
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:23 pm

I always take the car in and park in the ICC car park at the bottom of Main street. Morrisons is ok for short term parking. The queues arent so bad at the moment. Avoid coming out at 5-6pm.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:27 pm

daismarg wrote: A lot of people use Morrison's supermarket car park but you can only park there for about 3 hours before you get clamped!
They are trying to get rid of the all day parkers and campervans.

I recently got clamped there after shopping there and spending a few hours in the town. A call to the number they give on the ticket got a man round within a minute who profusely apologised when he saw the boot full of Morrison's bags.

Sid

daismarg
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daismarg » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Miro

The ROTUNDA car park is on the RIGHT just after the bus stop and BEFORE the runway. Its next to the ROTUNDA shopping mall which use to be (has been there for about 20 years or so? if my memory serves me right?) but only sells some duty frees now. It has a barrier now and you actually drive into it and the car park is behind the ROTUNDA shopping mall. Hope that helps?