Hitch-hiking in Andalucia

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
switch007

Hitch-hiking in Andalucia

Postby switch007 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Hello everyone, my first post :)

Can anyone advise me about hitchhiking in andalucia (malaga province)? Is it a common thing?

It's just that neither my friend nor I drive and I would like to see some of the smaller villages, but buses are very awkward and infrequent.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks!

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 pm

I wouldn't be to optimistic about this. You do see people stopping and picking up people at the bus stop, but it is always someone from the 'pueblo' picking another local up.

Hitchhiking may take you as long as waiting for a bus. Nowadays buses do tend to keep to times.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Never seen anyone hitching, and sadly if I did I wouldn't stop. This is despite promising 40 years ago when hitching across europe, that if I got a lift having waited for hours, that I'd never pass a hitcher by again.

:oops:

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Apart from the Traifa / Algercias area hitchhiking isn´t common in Andalucia.
Buses however are very inexpensive.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Just noticed.

I've got 1001 posts.

Who remembers

1001, 1001 cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.

switch007

Postby switch007 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:13 pm

muchísimas gracia a todos!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Only just seen this post and agree that people just dont hitch hike except for the locals going down to the coast. Locals pick up locals nobody else.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:23 pm

I never ever picked up hitchhikers in the UK but I did pick one up here. You so rarely see anyone hitchhiking...and he was quite cute and carrying a guitar so I thought, why not?! I suppose he could have been a mad axe murderer with an axe in the guitar case...

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 am

The last hitchhikers I picked up, were a couple ( male and female) of medics working in a hospital in Wales and they had a task for Charity, of who could arrive in Africa first by hitchhiking, I don’t know if they won, but I gave them a lift from Sotogrande to Algercias.

They had huge professionally printed signs about the charity.

They had been waiting for a long time on a very busy road, in general there is a reluctance to pick up hitchhikers. It’s a shame in a way as there are so many interesting people on the road, with so many stories to exchange.

The press have highlighted the scariest mad hitchhiking stories, movie makers have also depicted them and there it is, the hitchhiking "industry" has almost completely diminished.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:31 am

Yes it's a shame it's all gone pear shaped. As a student I reguarly hitched from London to Brum and up to Saffron Walden. Met many interesting folk. One summer hitched Brum to Stockholm and back. One lift was from Helsingborg to Stockholm, about ten hours. I also travelled round most of new zealand that way.

Happy days

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:04 pm

...me too, Rick, London to Coventry was my route and I would have been lost without hitching. :)
I would never have got home for the hols. It was really easy to get a ride back in those days, down the motorway and people were kind, lorrydrivers being my favs, salt of the earth.
Never ever travelled as far as you though. I wonder if Brum to Stockholm would be so easy nowadays ??
We would stop for people here, going back to the original post, but you rarely see anyone hitch.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 pm

I remember you Anis.

Newport Pagnell services summer 68.

Lorry stopped for me.

Driver then noticed you and you pinched my ride.

All is forgiven, I got home in the end.

Gees

Postby Gees » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Just got back from two weeks based in Competa drove up and down mountains on quite a few days to coast, did not see a single hitcher. you wound'nt want to walk far or wait around in the heat ?

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Ah...Newport Pagnell, Rick :lol: :lol: the cheese sarnies !
Sorry though, you were there two years before me, so it wasn't me who nicked your ride :lol: :lol: I was Summer of 70 - a hippy chick !