RENFE website

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

RENFE website

Postby hillybilly » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Is there some trick to getting the RENFE website to work properly?!
I tried to purchase rail tickets (AVE) online a couple of days ago and every time ended up with an error message after I'd gone through the whole booking, detail entering etc procedure.
I tried from the Spanish site, the English site, with a Spanish debit card and a UK card but nothing worked. In the end I gave up and went to the station to buy the tickets.
Fortunately I persuaded them to sell me the "estrella" offer tickets which the website told me that morning were still available but the guy in the ticket office denied were still available...
However, I need to buy another ticket for next Jan and there is a cheap web fare which of course I won't get (I assume) if I go to the station.
Has anybody successfully bought tickets online? If so, is there a knack?!
I've now registered as a user (which I hadn't before) so maybe this will make a difference?

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: RENFE website

Postby Kathy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:07 pm

I had a similar experience and in the end took the plane to Madrid.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:19 am

LOL

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 am

You can´t buy on line without registering as a user.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Could be a glitch in their web site. We booked back in June for our holiday in sept. with no problems
I think you have to pay by visa not a current account card. Also tick the "offertas" button on the top r.h. corner and sellect the "web price" against which train you want to get the best price.
Is your card over your credit limit Hilly? :oops: :D
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:14 pm

No, card is fine! I used the same card at the station to pay for the last lot of tickets in person.
You mean you have to use a credit card not a debit card?! That's me stuffed then as I don't have one...it doesn't mention that anywhere on the website which would help!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:07 pm

We only used the renfe site once and to the best of my recollection, we used visa (credit card).
Likewise it is always a visa card for car hire at the airport they ask for. Maybe that's the problem
with your booking. Can't remember but when it comes to the payment details on the renfe site, does it ask for card type ie visa/maestro etc?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:02 pm

I can't remember now if it asks for the card type either! I have registered as a user now, masterob (it doesn't say you have to do this to be able to buy online!) so I'll see what happens when I attempt it again...is it me or is the RENFE webiste one of the most user UNfriendly sites there is?!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Yep! They really hate it if you can buy a ticket :roll: