What to do around Malaga

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costapacket
Resident

What to do around Malaga

Postby costapacket » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:44 pm

We are arriving at Malaga Airport 11.30am and we are picking some friends up who arrive at the aiport 3.00pm so we have about 2 1/2 hours to kill in or around Malaga. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what we could do in that time (not too rude please :lol: )

K chameleon
Resident

Re: What to do around Malaga

Postby K chameleon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Plaza Mayor is only 5mins away. Cafes, lots of shops, cinema.
Probably worth getting a Taxi after you've parked.
Los alamos beach 5mins too, opposite turning on Plaza Mayor roundabout (tiny "La Playa" sign).

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Take the train to Plaza Mayor and stroll around the shops / tapas bars etc.

Hire a car and try to find your way round the road works

Park the hire car in the car park, walk to the departure hall, then to the arrivals hall, then try to find the car again. (might be a squeeze in 2 ½ hours)

Read a good book
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 am

If the thought of wandering around a smallish shopping mall (Plaza Mayor) doesn´t appeal and assuming you have transport why not stop off at Torremolinos which is probably closer to the airport than the centre of Málaga itself. Park along the sea front, plenty of free parking this time of the year. Have a stroll and a snack. It´s a shortish drive back to the airport by continuing along the beach front in the direction of Málaga and following the signs. If you don´t have transport then I guess Plaza Mayor is as good as anywhere to go by train in the time you have.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 am

go to easyjet desk,buy return ticket
jayne countys most famous song,google it

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 am

Join the queue at the aurigacrown car hire desk.

Get there at 11AM and you should have your car by 3PM.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for all your suggestions. Well you live and learn.....I had no idea that the airport was right next door to a big shopping centre and will def have to pop in there some time. We tend to pick up the car and shoot straight off to the apartment. We haven't been to Torremolinos so may try that if the weather is warmish. OH is preferring that to IKEA which was my suggestion :lol: Oh dear, our hire car is booked with Auriga Crown, will we ever get out of the airport?

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:33 am

Here's a suggestion, leave your car at the airport and pick it up when you meet your friends. Get the bus from the airport into Málaga (frequent and cheap service) which is a beautiful city often overlooked by tourists and residents.

Málaga has historic sights, museums, shops, gardens, beaches, fantastic tapas bars and restaurants and the city centre is easy to explore. Have a look at the info in the Destinations in Andalucía section on the andalucia.com main website. Much nicer than Torremolinos....in my opinion! :D

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

I would agree that Málaga Capital has more to offer than Torremolinos. I only suggested the latter given the limited time. I would guess that the journey to and from the Airport by bus (allowing waiting time) could take not short of an hour total. That wouldn´t leave much time to explore Málaga. A taxi would be preferable.

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 am

Yes, I agree, the bus may take too long for a short visit. Parking near the port at this time of year at a weekend isn't too bad but not easy if you are not familiar with the city. I just think it's a shame that Málaga gets overlooked as everyone dashes off to the resorts, it has so much to offer.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:54 pm

There's a very good underground car park right in the centre of Malaga, under the plaza where Alameda principal meets Paseo del Parque. It's just by the port. You could park your hire car there and take a 5 min stroll to the Alcazaba. Or wander round the little streets. Also you are right by the Cathederal. Malaga has lots of interesting places to visit. However I thought the Picaso Museum was poor.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:44 pm

You could cruise around the nearby Poligono Guadalhorce (industrial estate) - there's some "interesting" sights there! :shock:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Miro it all depends on which end of the estate you start at,i would'nt want to start at the scrap yard end :wink:

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:58 pm

I am so pleased that Malaga City has been overlooked by the hordes of tourists who head off to the beaches and resort towns along the Costa del Sol.I have recently returned to the UK after failing to survive the cost of living there on a depleted UK income that has plunged due to sterlings fall.
However I am going to attempt a move to that wonderful city again, after I sell my London appartment.
Long may visitors ignore this gem and let this city remain our secret, fellow pollsters.!!!!!
Dying to move to spain

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Rick Gale wrote:T However I thought the Picaso Museum was poor.
I´ve been to the Piccaso Museum 3 times and enjoyed it every time :D

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:20 am

Re Picaso Museum

Obviously taste in art is personal and allthough the hisoric building is interesting, there wasn't an exhibit that I would have wanted in my house. But then I always was a Philistine! Also I got told off for leaning on one of the walls. :oops:

I wasn't impressed with the Picaso Museum in Barcelona either

However... The Dali in Figureas (?) That's more my cup of meat. Brilliant

Horses for Courses, I guess

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Hubby is of the same view as you Rick, I must admit some of the paintings are seriously strange- what was he on?
I´d like to be able to afford one for my wall though :lol: not saying I´d want one- imagin what the insurance would cost! :shock:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:47 am

Picasso not my cup of tea either. Also loved the Dali house and museum, but for my money, you can't beat Miro (obviously!)

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Popped into Torremolinos, did some shopping and had a very pleasant lunch in the sunshine, thanks 8)