easyjet enforcing cabin bag size

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
beachbabe
Resident

easyjet enforcing cabin bag size

Postby beachbabe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Be aware that easyjet are now enforcing carry on bag size at the gate. It has to fit into the bag sizing device. If not it goes in the hold.

It is no excuse to say the bag is regulation size. It may well have the capacity to be extended. If it doesn't fit in the the bag measuring device it will go into the hold and will not be allowed on board.

A good job too. I'm sick and tired of the jokers who pole up with two bags twice the advertised size.

Kmoppz
Resident

Re: easyjet enforcing cabin bag size

Postby Kmoppz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 am

They have been doing that from Gatwick for ages, but only when the flight is full or there abouts. Makes sense to me...

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm

At the end of January they were doing that on a full flight from Malaga to Gatwick, the bizarre thing is that it's the same staff at the departure gate, enforcing the rules, as it was on the check-in desk when they could have insisted on one hand bag only at that stage, which wouldn't have caused delay at departure time.

We'll see what they do at Gatwick later this afternoon, although, like beachbabe, we abide by the rules and have only one bag each.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 pm

On Monarch I put my handbag into my hand luggage to go through security, I then take it out once through and board the plane with hand luggage and handbag. Are you saying that you will also only be able to board the plane with one bag on Easyjet?? Aside from causing delay problems at the gate, everyone will be holding up boarders while they get stuff out of their cases once onboard.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Easyjet told me at check in that I couldn't take lap-top and a smallish handbag on. I bought a newspaper and asked for a large bag. Stuffed my handbag in it and sneaked through as if it were duty free.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Easyjet rules state one piece of handbaggage, just the same as all airlines were supposed to until about this time last year.

Link to Easyjet baggage statement here:

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Yes I realise that, same on all the airlines, but what I mean is you have been able to take your handbag out of your luggage to get on the airplane, same as you can go buy a load of shopping once thru security and carry that on aswell as your hand luggage. Has that changed? Are they making you put everything in one bag to board the plane?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm

They didn't seem to mind the duty free bags as extra. BA allow one bag and a laptop as norm.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes since the rules relaxed, BA do allow a hand bag or laptop or briefcase plus one other. And you are right about the DF bags.

louise225
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby louise225 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:24 pm

I suspect Easyjet are heading the same way as Ryanair - everything.. laptops, duty free, handbags, etc.. to be in one bag.

The only people held up, are those not following the rules, as they are made to stand to one side to re-arrange their bags and everyone else continues to board, they just end up at the back of the queue. As the cabin staff have preparations, passenger counts etc... to do, it doesn't seem to have caused any delays on the flights I've taken. I guess if the passenger takes too long, the flight would go without them. :!:

Louise

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:29 pm

When I saw it being applied by EZY this is what they did.

Asked the passenger to place their bag in the measuring device.

If it was over 55CM*40CM*20CM they were given a cloice.

Either the whole bag went in the hold, or they could remove one item and take that on board with them, and the bag went in the hold.

As I said, many people had bought bags which, "unpacked" met the size rules. However they had expandable gussets which meant that, when full, they exceeded the 55*40*20 rule. These wil be rejected and placed in the hold.

I cannot see any airline that charges for hold baggage allowing more than one cabin bag per person and that bag complying with the size rules.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:13 pm

When they take your oversize bag at the boarding gate to put in the hold do they make a charge for it ????

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 am

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:18 am

No problems with hand baggage on Thursday at Malaga and no problem yesterday at Gatwick. Regarding any handluggage that has to go in the hold, yes you will be charged as if it is an extra case.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 am

Yes, this seems to be their policy.

Hand baggage "policing" does not occur at every gate on every trip. It's basically a case of "do you feel lucky, punk. Do you?". If you hit a "policing" gate and you're taking the pee with an oversized case you'll have to pay up. If not you just endure the glares of the other passengers you're messing up.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon May 04, 2009 9:35 pm

zanuck wrote:At the end of January they were doing that on a full flight from Malaga to Gatwick, the bizarre thing is that it's the same staff at the departure gate, enforcing the rules, as it was on the check-in desk when they could have insisted on one hand bag only at that stage, which wouldn't have caused delay at departure time.

We'll see what they do at Gatwick later this afternoon, although, like beachbabe, we abide by the rules and have only one bag each.

Well, on 24 April at Gatwick, not only had they changed the checkin process to something like BA's (one long snaking queue to the next available desk (unless you had bought Speedy Boarding or were late for your flight, when you were whizzed through ahead of everyone to the next available desk)), the hand baggage size rule was being enforced. But more vigilantly by some checkin agents than others. Whilst in the snaking queue for 55 minutes (and we were early due to no traffic holdups), we watched all agents asking how many bags one had to check in and how many hand bags; except that consistently the same agents would just look at the size of bag and let it through and another one would look, then direct the passenger to the bag gauge and then decide whether it should go as hand or hold baggage. So it seems it's still pot luck. Which is pretty poor for those of us who do abide by the rules.

PS, returning form Malaga late on 3 May, no questions at checkin about hand baggage at all, only how many hold bags, nothing about "did you pack the bags yourself, has anyone interfered wth the bags, has anyone asked you to take something onboard for them?".

However at the hand baggage and body scanner, my wife was asked to remove her watch, and a bit of discussion about her Cartier love bracelet, which is screwed on, and does not slip over her wrist and hand.................. They got around that one by asking her to keep her hand raised above her head when she came through the scanner, so that it didn't beep.

PPS the BA snaking queue system works fine, but then they have allocated seats, proper online checkin, self service checkin at the airport etc etc. Roll on July when BAs prices were once again lower than easyJet's..............

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 pm

The cabin baggage rule clearly states ONE piece of hand baggage. Technically, if you buy duty free that would be an additional piece of baggage unless it fits in your carry on bag. May seem unfair but "rules is rules". Many people have been getting away with it for a long time.

Mind you, don't know why people buy stuff in the duty free shop anyway. Most of the goods can be bought cheaper in the town. Only problem is if it is liguid and you don't have hold baggage to put it in.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!