Ryanair fat tax is indeed looming

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair fat tax is indeed looming

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:55 am

Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair fat tax is indeed looming

Postby country boy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Having been "Squished" by a very overweight and objectionable man all the way to Bangkok I feel that all fatties should be forced to fly in the baggage hold and have done with it. They are a waste of fuel and contribute mightily to Global Warming

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Well I look forward to this and especially how the Irishman is going to sell it to us as a positive..........perhaps the reducing greenhouse gas approach? Or the less weight less fuel consumption approach....and thus less gas, but it will be entertaining for sure.....

I´m with you on this, the over-spillers wreck other´s comfort......

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:26 am

How embarassing :oops:
It is very uncomfortable to have a large person literally leaning on you throughout a journey. I start getting nervous everytime a humunger boards incase they are going to sit next to me! The last one, well a couple infact, both needed the seat belt extensions, then both ate breakfast, then pringles and chocolate all the way. In between mouthfuls they talked about nothing other than every restaurant they were going to eat at, I felt like saying maybe you should book 3 seats for the return journey. :lol:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat May 09, 2009 9:55 pm

well slightly -- only slightly, honest!!! off thread --but I have just tried to change a Ryangasp flight...and I've progressed to the correct page etc, only to be given NO alternative to be able to change flight/date etce...what the hell is this all about??
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Have you checked the route is still operating on the dates you want to change to?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat May 09, 2009 11:01 pm

"only to be given NO alternative to be able to change flight/date etce...what the hell is this all about??".....

Why do you think they advertise themselves as a cheap / no frills airline ?

anyroads

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun May 10, 2009 9:16 am

Have you checked the route is still operating on the dates you want to change to?
I want to change to a different route...on the previous page it says you can do this now (I know it wasn't possible before..)
He doesn't miss a trick, does he?...I think I'd sooner swim! :twisted:

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 am

country boy wrote:Having been "Squished" by a very overweight and objectionable man all the way to Bangkok I feel that all fatties should be forced to fly in the baggage hold and have done with it. They are a waste of fuel and contribute mightily to Global Warming
Who are you calling fatty??????? :evil:
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:02 am

If the seat doesn't fit...don't wear it :lol:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 am

Just tried again....and the drop down boxes for 'origin' and 'destination' don't do 'owt ...yet if you try to bypass them, the error message comes up asking for you to enter an 'origin' and 'destination'.....que pasa???? :?
And re the 'fatty' theme...I wonder if anyone has ever got well and truly stuck in a seat...???? :)

Plus...has anyone ever managed to work out how to contact Uncle Michael's merry men WITHOUT having to rng the extortionate phone numbers....??? Surely there has to be an email addy SOMEWHERE......??? I need to find out if, having already paid for airport check in (before it shot up!!), I will be charged again if I try and check in online... :? Or if I check in at the airport as usual...??(This was booked etc before online check-in became available if you have a hold bag, I hasten to add -- before the Ryanair fans start on me again!!!)...

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Ryanair confirms that ‘fat tax’ is a non-runner because it’s not collectible
Passengers want very large passengers to pay more

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (8 May) confirmed that it will not implement a ‘fat tax’ because there is no way to collect it without disrupting its 25 minute turnarounds and its online check-in process. Ryanair confirmed that more than 16,000 passengers voted in its latest online poll to identify how the airline should charge larger passengers. The poll results showed:

46% - Charge per kg over 130kg/20 st (male) and 100kg/15 st (females);
37% - Charge for a second seat if passengers’ waist touches both armrests;
11% - Charge for every point in excess of 40 points on the Body Mass Index
6% - Charge for every waist inch over 45 inch (male) and 40 inch (female);

Ryanair confirmed that the competition’s €1,000 cash prize goes to Mrs Judy Powers, a retired British ex-pat living in Spain and the first passenger to suggest that larger passengers should pay more.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Over 30,000 Ryanair passengers called for a ‘fat tax’ for very large passengers. However, as all passengers will soon be checking in online we have no way of collecting a ‘fat tax’ without disrupting our un-rivalled punctuality and our 25 minute turnarounds.

“Ryanair will continue to examine avoidable discretionary charges, which are paid for by some passengers but help lower fares for all passengers. We are delighted to present Judy with her €1,000 cash prize and thank all 150,000 passengers who either entered our competition or voted in our online polls”.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

What a ridiculous waste of time. I expect Ryanair paid somebody a small fortune to set up a poll which was destined to failure from the start, bit like the pound a p..p they were considering some time ago. What next, parachute under the seats and a cost of 50E for instruction on how to use it!!!
Oh and by the way my waist doesn't touch the armrests but my a.s does!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

I thought the best suggestion was - pay €1 for a loo roll with Michael O'Leary's face on each sheet! :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Another charge from Ryanair!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... orget.html

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed May 13, 2009 3:05 pm

See the current edition (May) of Local Connections magazine....... :wink: