Car Hire Malaga Airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Marj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car Hire Malaga Airport

Postby Marj » Sat May 09, 2009 6:47 am

We recently hired a car at Malaga Airport from Gold Car. We were charged 80 euros (it was 60 euros last time) for a full tank of petrol for a Citreon Bellingo and were told to leave it empty. We only used half a tank of petrol. I have always objected to the full - empty rule as it seems most unfair and the car hire companies make a lot of money out of cars returned half full or more of fuel. However, 80 euros seems extortionate!! Has the price of petrol gone up in Spain? Does anyone know of a company that uses the full - full policy?
Marj

anis
Resident

Re: Car Hire Malaga Airport

Postby anis » Sat May 09, 2009 7:33 am

www.aurigacrown have a full/full policy but I haven't used them for a couple of months so I don't know if they have changed their rules ?

Marj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Marj » Sat May 09, 2009 8:28 am

Many thanks Anis, but I have just checked Auirega Crown Website and for rentals over 4 days it is a full - empty policy.
Marj

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat May 09, 2009 8:44 am

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 09, 2009 10:11 am

All the big firms used by carjet, doyouspain, hispacar etc operate the full/empty "FUEL THEFT" policy, whereby first they overcharge for a full tank of fuel, then they don't pay for any fuel you buy and return.

There is now an even better scam. Due to the downturn they have reduced their fleet size. This means that you turn up at their desk expecting a little pocket rocket with a €50 fuel charge and they "upgrade" you to a Picasso people carrier, and charge you €80 for the fuel instead.

The best thing is to add €40 to €50 to any quote you get from a "FUEL THEFT" operator (all those used by carjet and doyouspain). This is especially the case if you are only renting for a week or so, when you will use less than half a tank probably.

Hellehollis operate full/full. And some others you will find by searching threads on this forum. However, they are more expensive. Just subtract the €40 to €50 surcharge to compare like with like.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 09, 2009 3:03 pm

fuel has gone down since last summer. We were charged €67 for fuel for a berlingo. I ran it to near empty and still only managed €48 to fill up. Pi++ takers.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 09, 2009 3:21 pm

They aren't just charging for fuel, they cost the worker time to fill it.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat May 09, 2009 3:55 pm

As pointed out in the other thread I use Hellehollis homeowners club discount. You can reduce the quoted figures on their website by 15% if you join them... (its free). http://www.hellehollis.com/ I have rented once from carjet.com..... they used Goldcar. It took a full hour standing in line to get to the top of the que . Then as pointed out above I was ripped off with the €80 petrol charge. All of the for a €12 "saving" over Helle hollis. I have never waited for more than 5 minutes in Hellehollis. You cant put a price on peace of mind & quality of service so HH win every time for me. As someone that rents on average once a month I speak from experience. Hope this helps.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Sat May 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Yes. At peak times in peak months you can queue for one to one and a half hours AND be ripped off for fuel at: Aurigacrown, Record, Goldcar, Centauro. If carjet have allocated you any of these ask for another firm.

You can easily calculate the time you will be queueing as it takes about 5 minutes for the desk clerks to process each applicant (if there are no problems). 12 people in front and you're looking at one hour.

The last time i was out for nearly one month and the hellehollis quote was €100 more expensive than the fuel thieves, so i went with the fuel thieves.

If the gap is less than €40 i go with Hellehollis. As the other poster says, the most you wait is 5 or 10 minutes.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Have to agree Helle Hollis is streets ahead of the others.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 am

beachbabe wrote:..... as it takes about 5 minutes for the desk clerks to process each applicant (if there are no problems). 12 people in front and you're looking at one hour.
I am quite good at maths. Well better than average. So here's an exercise. If there are 10 people waiting for a car and 3 counter staff processing, how long would the average wait be assuming it takes 5 mins per application ?

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 am

Oh - go on tell me! I've got a bad cold and my brain has been dead for nearly 3 weeks now! :D

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed May 13, 2009 12:24 pm

[quote="flan_taster" If there are 10 people waiting for a car and 3 counter staff processing, [/quote]

Friends of ours arrived quite late in the evening at one of the Carjet companies (can't remember which one.) not sure whether there were 2 or 3 counter staff, but at midnight, on the dot, they left, leaving just the one clerk to deal with an already loooong queue... Not sure whether they were about to turn into pumpkins, but they were gone!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 13, 2009 12:47 pm

alexander1 wrote:Oh - go on tell me! I've got a bad cold and my brain has been dead for nearly 3 weeks now! :D
Love your avator, one of my cats scratches like that on a shower screen :)

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Wed May 13, 2009 1:39 pm

[quote="frank" [/quote][/unquote]
[/quote]"frank"quote
Oh drat how does one turn those quotes into quotes - i need to quote the previous message but can't find how to do it.[/quote]

Friends of ours arrived quite late in the evening at one of the Carjet companies (can't remember which one.) not sure whether there were 2 or 3 counter staff, but at midnight, on the dot, they left, leaving just the one clerk to deal with an already loooong queue... Not sure whether they were about to turn into pumpkins, but they were gone![/quote]
frank wrote:[quote="flan_taster" If there are 10 people waiting for a car and 3 counter staff processing,
oh b*$$er

Anyway - this is the picture of the desk clerks who walked out at midnight.
Image Oh d+m its not so here it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pumpkins.jpg

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:06 pm

katy wrote:
alexander1 wrote:Oh - go on tell me! I've got a bad cold and my brain has been dead for nearly 3 weeks now! :D
Love your avator, one of my cats scratches like that on a shower screen :)
Thank you katy! Off topic - I know - I am cat mad. Our cat used to fly out with us each winter - but sadly she didn't make the trip this year. Much missed.

colm o'shea
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby colm o'shea » Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 pm

We have always used the following car rental company at Malaga Airport ;-

Tolox Rent A Car [email protected] tel 34 952 44 63 53 fax 34 952 44 63 93. They supply good cars, full insurance with no hidden extras, full tank of fuel ( bring back full ) decent rates. Also, they will meet you at the airport and take you directly to the car where all details are completed in minutes. this is definately no advert, I'm just recommending a very good, reliable company.

mackenzie
Tourist

Postby mackenzie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:30 pm

We were out last month, rented with malagacar, one week for £90, half empty return empty. Thought that wasn't too bad. Tried again for 2 weeks in August with them, £425!!! I know there's cheaper but they take you away from the nightmare of getting out of the airport.

Does anyone know of a firm that offers a similar service for less? All we want a car for is airport to accomodation, Colmenar area, and a couple of supermarket runs to Eroski

Cheers
Think we'll always be tourists, never resident

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:33 pm

mackenzie wrote: Does anyone know of a firm that offers a similar service for less? All we want a car for is airport to accomodation, Colmenar area, and a couple of supermarket runs to Eroski

Cheers
www.hellehollis.com If you are a property owner you get 15% off their internet price & a further 10% credit to be used next year. I have €78 credit towards my 2010 usage. Also they dont play the fuel theft game.

mackenzie
Tourist

Postby mackenzie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:32 pm

Cheers scotty, checked them out and they do everything we want, under £300 as well. Thanks for the info. 8)
Think we'll always be tourists, never resident