Hand baggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Hand baggage

Postby katy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:49 am

For once I am travelling light, are electric hair straighteners allowed in hand baggage? Looked on BA site and can't find anything that says not.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hand baggage

Postby frank » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 am

Not sure, Katy, I normally manage without them! :lol:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 am

Yep, I always take my electric curling tongs in my hand luggage, no problem :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks, that's a relief :D

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 am

All electrical items are permitted except tools......I bought a toaster with me once.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Last year I brought a Bosch electric Jig Saw from Gatwick - I had cheked the BA and BAA websites anf found that it wasn't prohibited in hand baggage. I took the blades out and put them into my suitcase.
Got to Gatwick, the chap on the X ray conveyor asked if I had a laptop in my bag - nope; I told him I had the Jig Saw did he want it out of the bag - nope.

Went into the X ray machine, the operator saw it on the screen and called a manager, after which a moderate third degree took place.

Why was I taking it in hand baggage, why not in hold baggage (too valuable/too heavy and there is nothing published to say I can't take it as hand baggage). He went on to tell me that it shouldn't be hand bagage - I asked him why that wasn't stated on the BAA website (he didn't know which airline I was flying with); he said that it just can't be taken.

Half (no, more than half expecting such a situation) I had printed out the BAA hand baggage rules, and asked him to tell me where on the website it said I couldn't take it, would he like to log in and check - nope. Would he like to look at a printout of the BAA website - nope.. It just shouldn't be taken as handbaggage, so again I asked him where it said I couldn't take it, and he grumpily told me ok-just this time, but only because it runs on 240volts AC and "I guess you'll have problems finding 240 volt AC in the passenger cabin of your plane".

Rules is rules, unless of course there aren't any. Or maybe it's just me.

I've never breached the hand baggage rules and get grumpy when I see people with oversized bags or more than the quantity permitted by the airline or the ones weighing 20kg that a little old lady can't quite lift unaided into the overhead bin and is helped by a cabin crew member ....., so Katy, check the airport website for prohibited items in handbaggage, then check the airline rules and then take your hair straighteners.

BTW - no probs taking Jig Saw from Malaga to Gatwick.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:14 am

Katy,when do you fly?
I am going to Malaga airport on Sat morning i can ask B.A for you (just to make sure)and report back on Sat aft if its not too late.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi, thanks :) I flew on Monday. Everything ok. no problem. Also I rarely take just hand baggage so I had a few bits in a plastic bag, mascara, perfume etc. because I usually don't do this, I forgot and left them in my bag....they were never spotted!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 am

nevermind eh! :lol:
I got stripped when i went thru security.The buzzers kept going off,4 times i went thru,then they asked me to go in a back room and take off my top :shock:
They were most apologetic,i told them "its quite alright,its for everyones safety,its your job"!!
they didnt find anything,but everyone stared at me as i came out of the backroom. :lol:
i was just relieved the rubber gloves didnt make a show 8)