Are You Travelling Less ?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Are You Travelling Less ?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 am

Have you cut down recently on your travels ?

Well I have ..after taking into consideration all of the extra and increased travel costs over the past year, I've done two less flights and 2 by road trips.
And I thought that I would be 'well in' after my careful savings...not so !..
I've spent almost the same as the previous year... :(
After paying extra fuel costs, increased taxes, poor exchange rates etc..I've had 4 less trips...

I now use the bus ..when in UK...with my free bus pass of course, and don't buy any extras on Ryanair...Ferries, hotels etc...

Regards,
Gordon the Infrequent Traveller.. :(
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are You travelling Less ?

Postby Paula » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:19 am

Well I have downgraded OH to flying Easyjet when he is flying solo, I have saved a few bob there :lol:
He doesn't get as stressed as me so I am sticking with Monarch. I'd fly Air Force 1 if it was available :lol:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:12 pm

We will be travelling to Spain more often come September, or for longer periods, when we retire. We have worked out our meagre retirement pot will supplement our state pension for about 7 years if we are careful, allowing us to come and go between the U.K. and Spain.

We were going to move over completely but have changed our minds mainly because of caution advised by A.Com members. Having said that, you never know! We have never been over for more than 2 weeks at a time, so it will be interesting to see how we fare on a longer trip. (We've had our house in Canillas for 6 years)

I'd love to use Monarch! These days, we always fly Ryanair and I am already tense at the thought (we fly out on Wednesday......). Totally understand where you're coming from, Paula and I am hoping once we've got this stressful period over (winding up our business) we may have more in the 'pot' than estimated and I can persuade OH to use Monarch, which we have done in the past when there's been a particularly good deal.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:00 pm

We are travelling more than ever at the moment, we use Monach for Manchester to Almeria as its the only flight available, other than the thompson one, whats so different about ryan air ? I have used them, but didn't notice a difference, monarch charge for everything theses days too.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 pm

yes travelling less. But..

Ryanair are looking seriously at putting STOOLS (chairs not the smelly things) into their planes. To get people used to using them there will be lots of free or reduced price seats(?) so we could all travel more frequently. You can get more passengers in using stools instead of chairs.

Apparently a Chinese airline already uses them and Ryanair just need approval from the aviation authority in Ireland. I wonder if the seats will be at the front, stools in the middle and perhaps tube style leather straps at the back. They could save on landing charges by throwing passengers out on chutes, now there is a good idea Mick

olive

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 pm

At present I am probably travelling more than two years ago.
Two years ago we went to Spain for 3 months. End of travelling.

Last year we went to Atlantic City, New Jersey (by car) for 5 days in Sept. and then flew to the Dominican Republic for a week in November. At the end of December we drove to Florida for 3 months.

This year we are using up much more of our savings by driving to Atlantic City for 7 days in Aug. Then flying to Las Vegas for aweek in October, before flying to Spain for 3 months at the end of December. In total, this year's expenses much higher than last. (Longer time in Atlantic City, higher cost of week in Vegas, and much higher cost of getting to Spain along with car rental when we get there. This is a one time increase. We will probably be back to one trip [get away from winter] next year.)
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Probably travelled more (have to have some winter warmth :wink:) Did a few weeks in Florida and a cruise Jan, February Africa. Not really intentional just how it worked out. At least 5 return trips to UK but lost count. Flights are actually cheaper this year.

Like to be out of here in winter and July/August...don't know why i'm here :lol:

Jawg I went once to Atlantic City, long time ago. Is the Marv Griffin hotel still there? We had a room which had two bathrooms, his n' hers. Really over the top.

JAWG
Resident

Re: Are You Travelling Less ?

Postby JAWG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:52 pm

We have been there about 5 times in the last 10 years. Don't recall ever seeing a Merv Griffin hotel.
Atlantic City has changed a lot in the last 15 years. All (or nearly all) the big hotels from Vegas now have presence there
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:29 pm

olive wrote:yes travelling less. But..

Ryanair are looking seriously at putting STOOLS (chairs not the smelly things) into their planes. To get people used to using them there will be lots of free or reduced price seats(?) so we could all travel more frequently. You can get more passengers in using stools instead of chairs.

Apparently a Chinese airline already uses them and Ryanair just need approval from the aviation authority in Ireland. I wonder if the seats will be at the front, stools in the middle and perhaps tube style leather straps at the back. They could save on landing charges by throwing passengers out on chutes, now there is a good idea Mick

olive
Ye Gods olive! Have you any idea what the name of this airline is. We could maybe then have a look at their website. Don't bear thing about when there is turbulence!

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Well! Here we have it!

http://www.cctv.com/program/bizchina/20 ... 8082.shtml

China's Spring Airlines says it first initiated the standing ticket concept in the beginning of this year. The carrier only has 13 planes, which are not capable of coping with the surging passenger volume and new flight routes.

Zhang Wuan, Spring Airlines said "The process of plane making is really long. We already ordered 14 new jets. But some of them will only be delivered next year. And you have to wait for at least 5 years to lease a plane, and it is also very expensive."

The upright seating jet could accommodate 40 percent more passengers, compared with traditional plane. It could also help airlines cut 20 percent costs, while lowering airfares for consumers.

Zhang Wuan, Spring Airlines said "It's just like bar stools. The the safety belt is the the most important thing. It will still be fastened around the waist."

Airbus has been quitely pitching the standing-room-only seating option to Asian carriers for a few years. The Chinese aviation regulator requires that passengers are secured to their seats for take-off and landing.

Some industry insiders believe the standing seat configuration still needs further regulatory examination before becomes a reality

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:28 pm

JAWG wrote:We have been there about 5 times in the last 10 years. Don't recall ever seeing a Merv Griffin hotel.
Atlantic City has changed a lot in the last 15 years. All (or nearly all) the big hotels from Vegas now have presence there
Jawg, the Hotel was at 1133 the boardwalk, I remember because my luggage lock had the same combination. Would be interested to know if it's still there in another name. Suppose it has changed a lot, was early 90's when I was there. Away from the front everything was run down and it didn't feel safe.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Katy - I'll try to remember to check it out and let you know. But that is next month.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada