gibraltar airport to Melia Atlanteera Hotel

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
willow

gibraltar airport to Melia Atlanteera Hotel

Postby willow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 pm

we are travelling to gibraltar airport, is there anyone who knows the best and or cheapest way to get to the Melia Atlanteera hotel near the resort of Zahara de los Atunes.
We have been quoted £250 return taxi, its about 36 miles one way.
Are there any buses or trains.
Any help would be great.
neil
Last edited by willow on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: gibraltar airport to atlanteera

Postby princess peach » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 am

Hi,i have never heard of the place you are trying to get to. :shock:
There is a train station at the next village on ~San Roque.will probably cost you around 10E to get there by taxi from Gib border,but dont know if the trains from San Roque go to where you want to be.
The bus station is just over from the border in La Linea,but again,im not sure if they go to the place you want :?

Bandy
Resident

Re: gibraltar airport to atlanteera

Postby Bandy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 am

Zahara de los Atunes is situated on the coast down a minor road off the N340 halfway between Tarifa and Vejer de la Frontera. The village of Atlanterra is down a road from there going back towards Tarifa on the coast but is a dead end. I spent a family holiday there some years back and quite honestly I would have said that a car was pretty much essential as it is a bit out in the sticks.
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

flan_taster
Resident

Re: gibraltar airport to Melia Atlanteera Hotel

Postby flan_taster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm

The distance between La Linea (on the border with GIB) and Atlanterra is more like 85 kms. or 53 miles. This is going on the main coast road via Tarifa. I estimate about One Euro per Kilometre and add a bit for taxis. So €250 is steep.

Certainly better by car. No trains. Only possibility is using bus. I have used buses from just across the border with GIB at LA LINEA. From here you can get buses that go west. There are regular buses that go to Algeciras bus station around the bay. And some that go on after Algeciras along the coast. Have a look on http://www.tgcomes.es
And this page shows some buses going from La Linea west:
http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_33.htm
So maybe the next best thing is to take a bus to Tarifa or even Vejer then take a taxi. I would think that Vejer to Melia Atlanterra may cost about €30 or so. Not sure. The buses going from Algeciras direction to Cadiz stop at Barca de Vejer which is lower Vejer on the main road. There's a nice place to eat here. Usually taxi drivers wait for customers who need to get to the top of the hill of Vejer.
There are a few buses also that go from Barca de Vejer to Atlanterra.
Have a look on:
http://www.tgcomes.es/CONIL-VEJER-BARB-ZAHARA.pdf

Colinm
Resident

Re: gibraltar airport to Melia Atlanteera Hotel

Postby Colinm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

[quote="flan_taster"]The distance between La Linea (on the border with GIB) and Atlanterra is more like 85 kms. I estimate about One Euro per Kilometre and add a bit for taxis. So €250 is steep./quote]

The original post says €250 return. If it really is for 2 trips then its not too bad when you factor in for the taxi returning to base empty, twice.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!