Passport or not?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Passport or not?

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Does anyone know if you need a passport for air travel within Spain or is it possible with just Residencia paperwork?

More importantly, does a baby need his/her own passport for air travel within Spain?

I know if going to Madrid via Ave he wouldn´t need one, so wondered if he would need one if flying there?

Many thanks,

Karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Passport or not?

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Airlines insist on ID with a photo so in theory the old residencia card or a photo licence should suffice.

That also applies to flights within the EU Schengen area (ie not to the UK).

But do remember that the airline sets the rules and if they are not satisfied with your ID they will refuse to let you board.

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Sid, but unfortunately my baby will have neither an old photo residency card nor a drivers licence. :wink: Does this mean he would need to have a passport, as the only documents we have in his name are a Padron, Libra de Familia & Health Card, none of which have a photo. I just wouldn´t have thought he would need a passport if only travelling within Spain, but it sounds like he may need to!

Cheers.

Karen x

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Extract from Vueling terms and conditions
9.2 Facturación: Para facturar el equipaje, el Pasajero deberá presentar el billete o el número de reserva correspondiente, así como un documento legalmente suficiente para acreditar su identidad. El Transportista se reserva el derecho –por sí mismo o por terceros- de identificar al Pasajero por otros medios si considera que la documentación presentada es insuficiente o en caso de duda sobre la identificación o la validez de la documentación aportada.
Translated
9.2 Invoicing: To check in baggage, the passenger must present the ticket or reservation number, as well as a legally sufficient document to prove his identity. The Carrier reserves the right, by himself or by others-to identify the passengers by other means if it considers that the documentation submitted is insufficient or if in doubt about the validity of identification or documentation provided.
I suppose the question is what ID would a Spanish baby have? At what age do they have an ID card? If from birth then I guess a foreigners baby would require a Passport. Only surmising! :)

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 am

how about phoning, or mailing the airline to see what I.D. they accept for a baby

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Passports were the first thing I sorted out for my kids when they were born.I always liked the idea I could travel whenever necessary with them.It was probably easier then as they could be added to my passport and didn't need a photo.Nowadays it seems a bit ridiculous that they have to have own passport from birth. Have seen my grand-kids passports with a face of a new-born and using it even when they are toddlers.Seems to me that any kid could use those passports!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Bunty - i agree with you. It seems so silly. I have just had my babies photos taken at the shop today. After half an hour of trying to get one without him smiling they gave up and said it "should" be okay for him to be smiling in it!!

Like you say, he wont even look like this picture in one year, let alone 5, like they are valid for! :shock:

Cheers.

Karen x

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 pm

nice to see you have such a happy baby !! :D

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes, it is very very nice julian! He had his 6 month jabs today...and even smiled straight after those!!! The nurse was amazed! :shock: :D

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm

My son who is a Spanish national wasnt required by law to get his DNI until he was 14. so I suppose even for Spanish children it could be a problem to travel within Spain. You should check with the airline.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 am

6 months :o How time flies :) My Grandson's first passport photo was when he was 2 months. He looked like Doctor Spock as there were two hands holding his head up! Suppose fingerprints would be better. Try calling Iberia at Málaga, they are (usually) very helpful.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 am

Officially, now, you aren't even supposed to hold the baby's head up, unless you can do it without the hands showing in the picture. How you do that with a two-month old I don't know.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Maybe blu-tack their head to a wall :lol:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Katy, yes! The time has flown! And he has grown so much! He is now 69cm tall and 7.7kg! :D

Re the photos, it was easy for my son as he has great head control, so i just held is body whilst he was perched on the stool, but for smaller babies they have a sheet out back they lay them on, then take the photo from above! :lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm

karandjon wrote:Hi Katy, yes! The time has flown! And he has grown so much! He is now 69cm tall and 7.7kg! :D
Nearly time for the next one :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Not a chance whilst i'm still breastfeeding! :lol: