flyglobespan

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

flyglobespan

Postby karandjon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:46 pm

Has anyone flown with flyglobespan? I am thinking of booking flights with them and would be interested to hear how other people have found them. I hadn´t heard of them until today.

Thanks,

Karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: flyglobespan

Postby geo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:24 pm

I fly with them regularly Aberdeen, Malaga, Glasgow, Edinburgh, one way or the other every two weeks, no problems with them. just the usual charges for hold baggage and crap food, if your lucky you can get a meal deal of a Panini and a drink for a fiver. On the whole good service, mostly on time.
G
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:52 am

They have been around for a few years with, I believe, head office in Edinburgh.

To me they are better than Ryanair and Easyjet as you get an allocated seat at check-in.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

My sister uses them at least twice a year to fly Edinburgh to Faro, she seems happy enough with them. We have used them also and apart from one 5 hr delay no problem either.

Tom W
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Tom W » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:53 am

Used them many times with no problem, the fact you've got a seat number means they are much better than the scramble to board on Ryan/Easy. Only gripe is the huge check in queue at Malaga everytime, it's always the longest one no matter how early you get there. If only they would do online check-in.
Big reduction in number of flights for this winter and even next summer - a sign of the times!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks guys. Glad to hear they're okay.

Cheers!

Karen x

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 pm

I hadn't heard about flyglobespan either and ,thanks to you Karen, I have just looked it up and seen that it goes from Malaga to Edinburgh. Have a daughter working there now and have travelled over with ryanair this summer and had just rebooked to return for a few days next month.I see that they leave Edinbugh early in the morning so next time I will book to come back with them as it will give me more time to get up to Granada.
Actually I have booked to come back with jet2 to Almeria from leeds as I have to visit another child in York.This will be a new experience for me as well...no idea what this airline is like!

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Generally Good , but can have delays and alter flight times.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 pm

well, have booked the flights. Thanks for all the feedback.

Bunty - glad to have helped.

jwc - i hope they dont alter the flght times as thats the main reason we have booked it with them as the times are so good....

Karen x

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

My sister flew with them last week, the flight was delayed aprox. 9 hours because of a problem with the plane and they had to get another plane to Aberdeen. She had booked flights with them to come out here in December- the outward bound flight was cancelled.
We have used them from Glasgow to Malaga a few times and no problems, except once when Glasgow airport had snow.

SORRY... wrong info.... the flight that was cancelled out here was Easyjet, my sister re-booked the flight out with Globespan but kepr her return flight with Easyjet
Last edited by oliveview01 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:37 am

I flew with them Malaga to Edingburgh a couple of years ago, we had a lady pilot. Good flight.
They are fine, same old low cost luggage restrictions apply:(

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 pm

I have had a lot of problems with Flyglobespan with regard to delays. Delays have varied from 1 hour 40 minutes to 12 hours. They do not consider themselves a low cost airline but a scheduled airline. This means they can't just take off if there are pasengers missing so often miss their slots.
They also do not have any slack with regard to spare aircraft so any unfixable technical problems always results in a big dealy. So I do not fly with them. My wife however thinks they are the best airline since sliced bread. So pick out of this what you may!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Skyscanner.net is a useful tool. Key in your departure and arrival airport and search. You can choose specific dates or a whole month / whole year view. Globespan usually isn't the cheapest.

Flightchecker too is normally pretty good. As above, except key in the maximum you want to pay.
EG - Malaga to Gatwick in December for around £20 single. If a flight doesn't show, up your price. For those of you unsure where to go, select "I'll go anywhere."
Dave

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Mowser wrote:Skyscanner.net is a useful tool.
Yes, i used skyscanner.net. Very handy tool. You're right, it wasn't the cheapest flight available, but the flight times are much more user friendly than some of the cheaper flights! Worth paying more for good flight times, in my opinion. Thats if there are no delays of course! :lol:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 am

Oh dear. Hope you get sorted now they have gone bust. Sorry for recommending them, but they were good at the time.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:15 am

No I am sorry to disagree, Campo Steve, but the were not "good at the time". I lost 26 hours of my life on delays for 4 Globespan flights. Whenever I booked a flight with Globespan a light flashed on Tom Dalrymple's desk and he pressed the delay button. I will not be mourning their demise. Thank goodness for Ryanair; the worlds favourite airline; and mine. Michael won't let us down !!...

Tom W
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Tom W » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:30 am

Karanjon - Sorry from me too if the recommendation tempted you to book flights. Hope you used a credit card? Can I just add that, even if there were occasional delays (which airline doesn't), it can't be good that there's 1 less operator to keep prices down and 800 folk are on the dole a week before Christmas!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:10 pm

well, have booked the flights. Thanks for all the feedback.
Karandjohn posted on Sept 18th that shes had booked the flights,with a bit of luck shes already been and come back to where ever she had to go.I really hope so. :?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

I think she probably has, wasn't she trying hard to get baby a passport to take him on a visit :)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi guys! Sorry for late reply, have just arrived back home from a few days away in the Algarve.

Yes, thankfully we flew last month...baby passport arrived 3 days before we were due to fly otherwise we would have been rebooking them for about now!!

The flight was completely full both ways and was on time too! Found them to be very relaxing flights as seats are allocated at check in so no mad rush on boarding!

Don´t be sorry about recommending them Steve and Tom, as like you, I found them very good and would have done the same, until hearing about their demise today!

Now...gotta go for a stiff drink....we had a 6.1 earthquake on the Algarve 1.30am this morning lasting a full 2 minutes! Lots of little ones the rest of the night too! Thankfully my baby slept through the lot...unlike the rest of the hotel guests, ourselves included!

Karen x