Monarch airline from Malaga

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Monarch airline from Malaga

Postby alig99 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Just to let you know if you don't already. My OH flew from Malaga to London Gatwick yesterday by Monarch. This was not the first time he's travelled by Monarch but this was the first time that...all his hand luggage was weighed, this included his jacket!! :shock: it being a winter jacket it was a heavy one to combat the cooler weather in UK (as its still lovely and hot in Spain 8) he was 1kg over the 10kg limit, luckily he was let off the charge, however, he observed that ladies hand luggage including handbag, coat and the other bags were all weighed together! some I understand did not get let off! (I see shades of Ryanair here :( ) but last but not least on Monarch you have to pay for the extra leg room seats by the emergency exit £15, well okay but my OH said when he got on the plane no one was sitting in any of these seats so he asked the flight attendant if it was ok to sit in one, the attendant smiled and said yes if you pay me £15!!!! :wink: OH declined but again observed there were 12 empty emergency exit seats for the whole flight interesting; does this mean Monarch are losing out on 12 passengers most flights 'cos people aren't prepared to pay the extra? :? Hope someone finds this info helpful. ali

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Monarch airline from Malaga

Postby Julie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm

I flew back into Almeria from Manchester on Tuesday, as usual bags were weighed and charged for, Monarch have been charging from Manchester regularly for over 12 months, about the same time they stopped the free papers and head phones and put up a cup of tea from 1 POUND THEN QUICKLY TO 1.50 POUND AND NOW 2 POUNDS, I don't think there is much difference between any of them, but I do appreciate that they are running a business, I would also want to be compedative and show a profit.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 pm

The Monarch web site gives all the information you need to know about additional charges. As well as charging for seats with extra leg room, they also charge extra if you wish to book a particular seat in advance. I've never understood why anyone would want to pay for such things on a flight between Malaga and the UK which at most is only around 2 and a bit hours flying time. I say that as someone who is 6ft3ins tall. :shock:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am

With all due respect I was glad to see Monarch weighing hand lugguge both at Malaga and Manchester on our trip a few weeks back..about time in my humble opinion.

It went on too long only weighing the hold luggage of the mugs who pay £60 for the privilege of sticking bags in the hold whilst people with their over sized "wheelie cabin bags" were breezing through without a hitch with who knows what weight inside :evil:
I could not understand that tactic and it was obviously being abused big time.

Ali, one point you make puzzles me. I've never heard of your jacket having to be taken off and weighed at check in?..are you sure that is right?, if so it's a very new one and bang out of order.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:22 am

Why don't they make us stand on the scales with our hand luggage and be done with it?
imho, it won't be long!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
Ali, one point you make puzzles me. I've never heard of your jacket having to be taken off and weighed at check in?..are you sure that is right?, if so it's a very new one and bang out of order.
Possibly it looked as if the pockets were loaded with heavy items, so as to keep the weight of the cabin baggage below the limit ?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:51 am

Well I think its wrong that some airlines now charge for emergency seats,as due to my husbands back problems he cannot sit for an hour let alone more in the ordinary seating and am sure other people must have similar or worse problems,I have to say I am getting rather tired of the smug manner of some on this forum!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I always thought they put able bodied people in the seats by the emergency door,ie,those that are capable of opening the door and those that don't get in the way of escaping passengers.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

I have sat in the emergency seats on numerous occasions, never payed for it, at checkout they ask you if you have any disabilities, if you say no, then they sit you at the exit door, and alsogive you a free meal for doing so.
I don't think they charge people extra for theses seats if they have to fill them.

What do you mean about smug answers, do you mean people are not agreeing with your opnion ?

If the airline upgraded everybody with a bad back, they would have to take every other seat out :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:59 pm

"Possibly it looked as if the pockets were loaded with heavy items, so as to keep the weight of the cabin baggage below the limit ?"
Seems to be common in a photo forum I visit, stuff your pockets with lenses, poacher pockets are ideal. Have also read people claiming they wear several layers of clothing, and once onboard, start peeling them off! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alig99 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: Ali, one point you make puzzles me. I've never heard of your jacket having to be taken off and weighed at check in?..are you sure that is right?, if so it's a very new one and bang out of order.

I understand from my OH that he wasn't wearing the jacket just carrying it, he didn't have anything in the pockets. It was too warm here to wear it and especially in the airport but he felt he needed a warm jacket to wear in UK, since the weather would be somewhat cooler! :shock:

We don't have a problem with complying with any airlines rules, but the jacket thing was a surprise :o ; also if they have 12 seats not used/paid for isn't that a loss of revenue, an interesting business decision, would it be better to fly with 12 people's airfares than none at all?

And just for the record, my OH is 6' 3". I think everyone likes to be comfortable no matter how long or short the flight and of course he is prepared to stand by his decision not to pay for the extra leg room, so he's not complaining.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Alig,I used to dread sitting behind the 6'3" bloke on an aircraft but i can't remember the last time a big chap reclined his seat.
More often than not it's some out of control kid who wants to play with buttons or a spoilt teenager with an i'm alright attitude.
Pet hate...kids sitting behin who keep kicking back of seat and parents afraid to tell them to stop or oblivious to the fact that they're doing it.

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:46 pm

For me paying for pre-booked seat is a must or we would have three young kids dotted around the plane with no adult supervision (or not by the parents anyway!) Costs us a fair bit extra to do it, but have seen many families causing havoc in the past by not pre-booking then trying to get people to move seats etc before take-off so they can all sit together.

I agree though, if travelling on my own I would also not be bothered to pre-book!

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alig99 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

I've seen people not willing to give up "their" seats to allow parents with young children to sit together, personally I think they should be ashamed of themselves, I always happy give my seat up and so it my OH we don't have a pressing need, after 30 years together, to always sit next to each other :D

I wish the bucket airlines would take the same booking method as one the bucket airlines of Australia. When you book your seat you are allocated a seat number, if you book 2+ where possible on the flight they put you together. At least (in our experience) with Jetstar there is no pushing, shoving either at the gate or the walk to the plane.

And finally, I don't mind the rules, but I wish the airlines would consistently apply them. :roll:
ali

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Yes, I agree Ali - that system would be far better. One of the reasons I book on Monarch or BA and pay for pre-booked is to avoid the "cattle rush" and uncertainty of whether we will all be seated together. Of course we could pay for "priority boarding" but to be honest I would rather just be able to pre-book the seats! While I also think people should be reasonable and give up their seats for a family to be seated together (unless they have a real reason for needing the seat they are in of course), I do also get a bit annoyed that we make the effort and extra payment to be seated together and when I see families who have not done the same I can't help thinking it serves them right to have the hassle once they board the plane!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:20 pm

We always get to the airport in plenty of time so that we are early enough to get seats together.
For us to give up our seats to a family that has only just turned up doesn't make sense and i wouldn't do it.
if you want to sit together and haven't prebooked.....get your ar$e out of bed.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm

"At least (in our experience) with Jetstar there is no pushing, shoving either at the gate or the walk to the plane."
BmiBaby still give you an alloted seat, a nice and orderly boarding. We're not really fussed either way, but normally ask for 2 aisle seats and have only ever dipped out once.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:25 pm

My OH flew from Gatwick to Malaga on Monarch for the first time the other week. It is made clear that the hand luggage limit is only 10kg, and since companies like Ryanair say that only one piece of luggage is allowed and must include handbags etc, it seems quite reasonable to enforce this at check-in. Including your coat is a bit cheeky though, isn't it? On the plus side, we didn't pay any charges to pay for the flight as they accept Paypal, which was quick and easy (and free) to use.

On the negative side, my OH had the most horrendous journey, with the flight being delayed due to a technical fault which then took off over 3 hours late. After 50 minutes the captain announced that the fault was still present (a fuel leak :shock: ) and they had to return to Gatwick where they were met by an army of fire engines - blue lights flashing! Eventually they were found another plane but this was then delayed as the door wouldn't shut and they had to call out the engineers again. He was due to arrive at Malaga at 6.55pm and ended up arriving back well after 2am. On top of this the cabin staff were trying to charge for drinks and food on board the (final) journey to Malaga, by which time there had almost been a mutiny from the passengers :D . They did reluctantly give everyone a free drink! I think we will be sticking to Easyjet as usual for future. It seems that Monarch just didn't have the spare planes to use in an emergency which is why he had such an awful experience. Just as well he's not a nervous flyer :wink: .

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm

We have just flown to Cardiff and back with Thomsons. Apparently the seats are allocated by the airline and however early you arrive at check in your seat is already allocated and they can't change it. We ended up in aisle seats opposite each other.
Coming back it was one of their big planes and only 53 passengers. We still got allocated aisle seats opposite each other - and the plane was only a quarter full :( Ludicrous!
Think we will stick with Bmibaby in future.
Also the hand luggage is only 5kg and I carry a lot of things I wouldn't trust in my suitcase. We have had things stolen out of our suitcase twice at Malaga airport.