Norwegian Cruise

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Norwegian Cruise

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:38 pm

There is a appealing cruise being advertised in the Telegraph. Starts in Bergen and goes all the way round the North Cape to the Russian Border.
We were keen, but isn't it in almost total darkness up there in February. Would you see anything?

Anyone been to that area?

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Norwegian Cruise

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Northern Lights ?????
Hardworking resident !!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Yes they said you might see them but they couldn't guarantee it, and I appreciate it would need to be dark to see them, but not all day long perhaps.

Do they NL only happen in the winter?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm

What are the northern lights?
The aurora borealis, or northern lights, appears when solar wind particles collide with air molecules in the earth’s atmosphere, transferring their energy into light. Displays can vary in intensity – from a glowing curtain of greenish yellow lights, dancing in the distance to a spectacular, multi-coloured fusion stretching across the sky – but whatever one you’re lucky enough to have, will no doubt make you want to see more.

However, it must be remembered that sightings of the northern lights can never be guaranteed, even when the conditions seem just right - a clear cloudless night is essential and for the most intense sightings, it is important to be away from any sources of artificial light, such as street lighting. Sightings not only vary in intensity but in duration too, from just minutes to sometimes hours.

Where is the best place to view the northern lights?
Although the northern lights can at times be seen as far south as the UK, you really need to travel north and visit such places as Iceland, Lapland, Canada and Greenland during the darkest months of November to March for the best opportunities possible. Potentially though, nature’s own light show can be seen in October and March. Two locations considered some of the best in the world to view the northern lights include the virtually cloud-free sky at Abisko Mountain Station, situated within the Abisko National Park in Swedish Lapland, and Hotel Ranga in south Iceland.

When is the best time to see the northern lights?
Usually during the darkest period which is between November and February, although they can be seen as early as late August and as late as mid April. However, the phases of the moon also have an affect. If you have a full moon then it can greatly detract from the spectacle, whereas around the time of the new moon, if sightings are possible then they should be at their best.
Hardworking resident !!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:53 pm

I have seen the Northern Lights many times, and they vary from light in the sky to spectacular illuminations of varying colours. They can be most enjoyable.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Funny, I booked last week. I finish up with a night in an ice hotel

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Must be a different trip Ron. The one we saw, you can take an excursion to anice hotel somewhere near rhe ruski border, but you don't stay there.

So will there be any daylight in Feb?

I expect there are web sites covering this. I'll go and have a look.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Mine is with Hurtigruten. Starts Bergen up over North Cape to Kirkenes where cruise finishes. I've extended for a night in the ice hotel. I believe there is about 8hr daylight in Feb.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 pm

North of the Arctic circle, February it's gonna be light from about 10.30 till about 14.30, ish, it's not completely dark you must also remember that the ice and snow creates a lot of reflected light, Beware of the, onboard buffet though it's usually a cattle maket/free for all with the Germans winning as usual, the Russians though are by far the greediest they will take anything they can from the buffet area including thermos flasks of coffee :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info everyone

Ron... The one we saw advertised was Hurtigruten too. Except that you stayed on board and returned to Bergen with the ship. Guess they do various variations on the same theme. The one we saw was for 12 days and cost about £1000 pp for an inside cabin. However you did get a cushion to sit on whilst you were chained to the oar. How much was yours if you don't mind me asking. We've missed the booking deadline for that particular trip but there are always others. Would you be prepared to furnish me /us with a full review on your return.

Retro... Germans.. They've never forgiven have they!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:49 pm

They have 3 options.The north run Bergen to Kirkenes, south one Kirkenes to Bergen and the full run Bergen to Kirkenes and back to Bergen.
I'm doing the North run with a husky excursion at Tromso and disembark at Kirkenes. There I'm staying an extra night at the ice hotel. The full run and those taking the south run then go back to Bergen(different daytime stops north and south). Mine was about £1400 but nearly £400 was for the huskies, ice hotel and outside cabin.
You can book though them.
http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk
tel 02088462666
The website shows all cruises , excursions and extensions

I'll load photos and videos to net on return

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:59 am

Nice one, Ron.

Have a great trip and I look forward to the pics.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:21 pm

If you get a chance, rent a ski-bob/snowmobile. They are unbelievable fun and excitment! a couple of wodka before and a few more after :D
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Did it in France when on a Ski holiday. This time relaxing with huskies taking me around. :D

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Had a fantastic time. Having trouble loading photos to internet, takes forever and I took over 700 :crazy: . Saw the northern lights, will load them first. Here's a few to be going on with.

Moonshine
Sunrise( Sun cut off :eh:)
Sunset
Last edited by ron on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks for taking the trouble to follow up after all this time, Ron. Glad you had a dood trip. Great pics.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Wait for the rest. Contact me if you want any info. wait for next photos. 1000 miles of scenery

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Retro P wrote:North of the Arctic circle, February it's gonna be light from about 10.30 till about 14.30, ish, it's not completely dark you must also remember that the ice and snow creates a lot of reflected light, Beware of the, onboard buffet though it's usually a cattle maket/free for all with the Germans winning as usual, the Russians though are by far the greediest they will take anything they can from the buffet area including thermos flasks of coffee :roll:
Thanks for your input, light from 6.00 to 17.00 snow gives light for longer . Russians Germans no problem . Only ENGLISH COUPLE taking tea bags to their cabin.