Volcanic Ash.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Volcanic Ash.

Postby frank » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 am

Anyone travelling to/from UK, especially Scotland, might like to check their flights, there are seemingly some horrendous delays already caused by the volcano erupting in Iceland. Scotland has been badly affected, and it's just come up on the TV now all flights from Stansted and Heathrow suspended from 12.00. Looks like it could be chaos!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Laslomas
Resident

Re: Volcanic Ash.

Postby Laslomas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 am

I have just been following the news, and it's amazing to find that this volcanic eruption in Iceland can cause so much chaos. According to one report I saw they said it will affect a large part of Europe. Plus you then have all the problems of planes being in the wrong places so it gets worse!
I don't remember anything similar when there have been other volcanic eruptions except very localised to the area concerned.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 am

They reckon if it stopped erupting now it would take several days to clear, but at the moment it shows no sign of stopping, so could run for some time! :thumbdown:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 am

Wind direction causing the clouds to drift south are a major factor. A change in direction would send them northwards towards to Arctic - good for Northern Europe but probably not environmentally friendly for the Arctic!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

My daughter and family are stranded at Gatwick having come from New Zealand. They've been rebooked for tomorrow but need the wind to change direction and take the volcanic ash in a different direction.

This sort of thing does happen fairly often around the world whenever a volcano erupts. Just unfortunate the wind is blowing the way it is as it is the first time I can recollect the Volcanic Ash Plan being implemented for UK like this. In the past it has been transatlantic flights being rerouted to avoid ash clouds.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

My sister and her husband flew home to Scotland last night via Heathrow after using our house.
They were planned to spend the night at Heathrow and fly on this morning to Edinburgh...........at the moment they are being transported to Edinburgh by bus!!

They@ll need a holiday by the time they get home!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

I am due to fly home to Spain on Saturday evening from Stansted, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Better to be delayed and safe than not get home at all.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm

wonder if RYANAIR will add on an ashtax for flights over the next few days

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 pm

BBC news are just reporting that all flights in and out of the UK have been cancelled until at least 6:00 PM.
Cheers
Gerry
Latest update that it is likely to go beyond 6:00 PM
Gerry Harris

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:39 pm

All BA flights are cancelled now until tomorrow at the earliest. UK airspace closed until tomorrow morning at the earliest, same for several Scandinavian countries.

Looks like UK is the closest my daughter and family will get to Spain, having come all the way from New Zealand!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I blame it on the government, it´s all a ploy to stop any more "pats" escaping to become ex-pats.
vote accordingly!! :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm

There are some things that Mr Brown can't be blamed for Julian :crazy: I've only got clothes for a few days with me........... I can't go shopping for more, Mr Ryanair won't be happy if my case is full.......... well he will be, cos he will make more money! Fingers crossed the wind changed direction soon :crazy:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:56 pm

you could wash your clothes and wear them twice.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Ryanair arghhh!!!!!! not able to get through on the phone message says the wait is 7 mins and then I get cut off in 5 mins, tried all day also a really helpful message tells you to re book on line but forgets to mention that if you have already checked in you can't do that...I guess most people will be in this position for today's flights, also amazingly their flights for a new booking tomorrow have jumped so high in prices they could be up there with the cloud
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:07 pm

My OH is stuck in the UK. He has managed to change his Aer Lingus flight to tomorrow morning, but I am waiting to see if that will be cancelled as well. He doesn't have any luck. During the snow in January, he got stuck in the UK and couldn't get a flight home, and once his Gatwick bound flight was diverted to Bristol. It's s*ds law that he doesn't get stuck this end. I appeased him by telling him it was miserable weather here anyway, but even that has changed, and we've got beautiful sunshine now!

In theory, this commuting back to the UK for employment seems fine, but God (or some higher being) has been putting a massive spanner in that works since Christmas.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Ryanair arghhh!!!!!! not able to get through on the phone message says the wait is 7 mins and then I get cut off in 5 mins

do you know the call charge to ryanair?..could well cost you more than the flight !! :evil:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm flying Ryanair in a few days time. If I booked now it would only be £10 more. Easyjet still considerably dearer so they must have gone up as well.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:21 pm

spent about 10 quid on phone calls got the 10p line...come to think of it that's probobly why there was no answer
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Apparently, the cleaner at Birmingham City F.C; who opened their trophy cupboard, has been arrested.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Rick Gale wrote:Apparently, the cleaner at Birmingham City F.C; who opened their trophy cupboard, has been arrested.
What has this got to do with the subject of Volcanic Ash?
Or am I missing something?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris