Where are the Coaches & Ships TO the UK!!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
sammyl79
Tourist

Where are the Coaches & Ships TO the UK!!

Postby sammyl79 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

This is getting really frustrating... been in la linea since 7th April and had flights cancelled twice now... Managed to find my partner a flight back on Fri night with Ryanair from Malaga to Birmingham (need to get to Medway but at least he will be back in England!)... Me and my 6 year old daughter due to fly saturday

What makes it annoying is that nothing can be planned until you are told the flight has been cancelled... I am not able to make a back up plan incase...

Why havent the airlines/government just sent coaches to pick us all up!!!!! At least they wont have a back log to deal with!!!

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Where are the Coaches & Ships TO the UK!!

Postby sheilap » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 am

It's looking good for saturday we will keep our fingers crossed for you

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:57 am

I'm due to fly on Friday. Just in case it doesn't happen I have made a backup plan of driving to Calais and getting a ferry across. OK, the petrol will be costly but the ferry only cost £55 for 4 of us, including the car. I'll get half back if I cancel it.

Although Santander ferries appear to be full for the next week there is plenty of availability on ferries across the channel. Admittedly you do have to get to the Channel coast first though.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 am

while I sympathize with your situation.How is the British government going to send coaches down to southern Spain to pick anyone up?
Firstly, all the ferries are already full and secondly, Why to Spain? Why not to Russia, Greece or anywhere else?
We have to accept that this is one of those unforseen situations which is out of anyone's contol,and think ourselves lucky that it doesn't happen often

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 am

I think madrid because the airport was open and it was just a transit point to get non EU country travellers back.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 am

Mark. The ferries weren't all full, only the ones from Northern Spain. There was availability on just about every ferry from Calais, Boulogne etc. I booked a crossing for Saturday last night and had a choice of dozens of crossings with availability.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 am

Yes we waited 1hour 45 mins at Calais yesterday although we booked ahead the night before.

I don't see why the British Gov should have to get everyone home. Give them assistance and even facilitate buses but charge for it. Why should tax-payers, many who cannot afford a holiday have to bail out these people :wtf:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 am

The point I'm trying to make is that where can the governments find all these empty buses /coaches
and to which country should they send them to? Who would have priority? The problem isn't restricted to southern Spain.
Think about the logistics of it. One plane can have many times the amount of people on it and do the journey many times during one day.
1 bus from London to Malaga and back would take at least 2 days

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree with you Mark. Logistically it would be a nightmare, even impossible.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm

katy wrote: I don't see why the British Gov should have to get everyone home.
Nor me, tbh. :crazy: I was watching something on UK news last night, a headmaster was complaining that 8 of his staff were stuck on holiday and they had to hire supply teachers.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Reading my local newspaper,On the front page there is a picture of a British naval ship which came to pick up thousands of stranded Brits in both Bilbao and Santanter

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 pm

markwilding wrote:On the front page there is a picture of a British naval ship which came to pick up thousands of stranded Brits in both Bilbao and Santanter
Thousands? :?
HMS Albion has left the port of Santander in northern Spain where it had taken on board some 450 service personnel and 280 civilians identified by British consular officials as being the most vulnerable.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

A publicity stunt by nanny Brown,vote mongering at its worst.
Naval photographers were taking photos,presumably good publicity for them but the tv news showed loads of people being turned away.
If you're going to do it,and I don't agree unless you're going to contribute,then do it big style,not to get a publicity news picture byte.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Frank
I'm in Bilbao Although I knew there was a ship from Santander, I'm telling what I've seen in my local newspaper, which after reading it a little bit closer says it will arrive here tomorrow morning .I've just got back from work so now I've had time to take a better look at the article.It definitely says over 2,000 in this newspaper. It is front page news here and not a vote to be won in sight

http://www.elcorreo.com/vizcaya/2010042 ... 01756.html

I should be able to see it from my house

The pride of Bilbao left today with 1,784 passengers
http://www.elcorreo.com/vizcaya/2010042 ... 11717.html

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Mark i think the other ship is a cruise liner that P&O have sent out which was due to go to Bilbao to take 2000 passengers rather than the RN ship that went to Santander.
I can spell but I can't type

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:07 pm

JG
Thanks I edited my post after I had read the article properly