Gone off Ryanair

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Gone off Ryanair

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 pm

I have always been a supporter of Ryanair. They pioneered cheap flights in Europe and I never expected 1st Class service. You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately my feelings have changed following a flight yesterday from Prestwick to Malaga.

Bag drop. Whereas previous to having compulsory online checkin they had individual queues for the various destinations, now it was just one queue, and it took half an hour to drop off one suitcase. A backward step.

Boarding. We had made sure our handbaggage didn't weigh more than the allowance by using a set of scales sold by Ryanair. Yet, at the gate, they weighed the handbaggage and insisted that one was 2 lbs overweight and had to be checked in. Of course, it was too late for that but they accepted us transferring a small amount of stuff from one bag to another. Now, we know what the rules are and had tried to abide by them. However, the attitude of the girl at the gate was horrendous, making us appear stupid. She sneered when I asked why the scales sold to us by Ryanair gave a different measurement. And, finally, what did transferring 2lbs from one case to another actually achieve? Nothing. The weight was still carried in the cabin, it wasn't a safety issue, and just held everyone up. It doesn't help with aiming for ontime departures. What happened to common sense?
Ryanair are trying to persuade people to avoid checking in baggage. But their attitude is not helping.

Meanwhile, other airlines on similar routes will be given more thought by me in the future.

p.s. Ryanair laid on extra flights to get stranded passenger home following the ash cloud. So, why were a third of the seats empty on our flight Malaga to Prestwick empty last week. Just how much effort they make to help stranded passengers?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Gone off Ryanair

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:34 pm

I think the backlog of stranded passengers in Malaga was cleared by end of last week.

My easyjet flight to london was 1/3 empty on Monday. The flight staff said the extra flights the week before had sorted it real quick.

It's back to normal in europe. I still have a mate stuck in Orlando though.

I have to say Monarch were being just as silly with the one bag rule in Birmingham a few months ago. Made everyone start packing their stuff into one bag. Didn't have the sense to send all the 2 baggers to a naughty queue so no one else boarded the plane until the 2 baggers became 1 baggers.

Easyjet were the same on Monday.

You have to pay BA prices before there's any civility now.

Me? I'm prepared to pay peanuts and be treated like a monkey. Although i'll draw the line if Ryanair become 1 boggers :shock: on the UK Malaga flights.

Stoopid.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Sat May 01, 2010 7:41 am

I have had similar problems with all airlines it seems its something we have to live with, I did write to Michael Oleary at Ryanair to voice my opinions and did receive a personal reply so maybe if more people wrote and complained it may touch a nerve, when business gets tough they may remember these things.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat May 01, 2010 8:36 am

ryanair´s business concept is to get as many people as possible talking about ryanair, even if it is complaining about them..this thread is exactly what they want, people talking about them, writing a complaint letter will only make them happy, not make them change anything.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 01, 2010 9:36 am

I don't want them to change anything (especially taking 2 bogs off the plane and charging for the 1 that remains.)

Well maybe they could change one thing: prices down by another 10%, please :clap:

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Sat May 01, 2010 12:20 pm

There are still people in Malaga waiting to get home.
On 19th April I was given 29th April flights ( I refused)
on 20th April I was then only able to have 3rd May everything was "booked".......I have been in contact with some other families who agreed to go to a hotel and accept these flights, one lot asked to move to an earlier flight and were told they would have to pay the full flight price with no chance of a refund.
They also flew a lot of long haul in and they all had 3rd May onwards for their final leg of the journey.
One man was due to fly to Glasgow from Malaysia and got dumped in Malaga, also with early May onward tickets.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 pm

With so many people still waiting to get home from malaga, why are there still empty seats on the planes? Malaga to Prestwick on 23rd had about 40 empty seats although some had been moved to an extra flight to Edinburgh. Howver, the Ryanair web site said the flight was full.

The logistics were horrendous but such a shame to see all those empty seats. Mind you, it did mean my wife and I had nobody sitting next to us, so that was a bonus.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm

What did they use to weigh your hand baggage. Weighing machines at the check-in desks can vary by 0.5kg so any non-callibrated device should not be being used.

It is definately worth a letter of complaint.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Yep, dunno why you're still in Malaga. Plenty of space on all the flights. 25/4 ezy were letting me book 2 places on the 27/4 flight for about €120 each.

I think people were given stupidly distant flights when cancellations and people's alternative travel plans meant tonnes of capacity.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:What did they use to weigh your hand baggage. Weighing machines at the check-in desks can vary by 0.5kg so any non-callibrated device should not be being used.

It is definately worth a letter of complaint.
They were scales just as you leave the departure hall. Electronic and looked official. Not bathroom scales.

If I was on my own I could unerstand it but there were two of us and transferring one item from one bag to the other made it OK. Just couldn't see the logic in it.

Before someone points it out, I know they say you can't combine checked baggage weights with other travellers, and that seems a pointless exercise as well. JUst holds everyone up whilst people transfer stuff from one bag to another for the sake of a kilo or less. Just seems pointless.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:00 pm

That worries me a bit. I am always bang on size but usually 1 or 2 kgs over because I have never seen scales anywhere near the gates.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat May 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Someone clever has cottoned on at Liverpool airport, there are luggage scales, not sure how much they charge but it must be cheaper than paying excess baggage or frantically shifting stuff from case to case.

My O.H.s hand luggage holds my reading fodder, usually 5 novels, a pack of bacon, some cheese, not Lurpack spready butter any more since the twerps at Security confiscated it, and my clothes. and if there is any room left a fly fishing magazine/book.
Mine contains my clothes that I usually find I have duplicated when I arrive :oops:
Stil I go on holiday so why shouldn't my wardrobe get about a bit :)

However if we decide to go on a short cruise in Sept from Malaga, the next hand luggage could contain a dinner suite, do people still get dressed up for these :thumbdown:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat May 01, 2010 6:55 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:That worries me a bit. I am always bang on size but usually 1 or 2 kgs over because I have never seen scales anywhere near the gates.
Bournemouth once insisted on our hand baggage being weighed at check-in, although that was before they had online check-in

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 01, 2010 8:00 pm

to weigh your baggage just go up to an empty check in desk and put cases on scale.
The scales are always on.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes, but they vary and are therefore no guarantee that you are within the scale being used near the gate; assuming such a scale exists.

Remember, I am Ryanair's No.1 customer!!...; sorry, fan.