Ryanair cabin baggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
tjtops
Resident

Re: Ryanair cabin baggage

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:00 am

(Edited because I didn't spot the reply about BMI Baby's weight limit!!)
I do need to know (urgently, though! :crazy: :crazy: ) if they (BMI Baby) actually DO weigh hand luggage, and are they strict about the 'one piece'..ie handbag, shop purchases etc having to go inside?.....particularly at East Midlands....I'm quite happy about the size, but the weight is a major problem!...... :shock:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:40 am

Can't report on East Midlands but at Cardiff they are very strict. Nearly always make you put hand luggage in the measure and they usually weigh it as well. If you check in online then they make you put it in the measure at the gate. Yes - you are only allowed on the plane with one bag containing everything.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Murbisa....oh b*ms. Got a nightmare pack to do......car parts are bl**dy heavy (not vastly big but the heaviest won't fit into coat pockets!) and so much stuff I absolutely can't leave behind!!!
Come back Easyjet...all is forgiven!!! :crazy:

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 am

PS..I found myself sitting next to an off duty Robbinair steward on the outbound (which was with them) and he reckoned they (Ryanair) normally DON'T weigh cabin baggage but are strict about size. Other people think they tend to weigh it if you're not checking a hold bag in, but I guess it all boils down to the individual check in staff on duty. (They are, however, given monthly targets to achieve on overweight bags, extra charges etc etc...yet another nasty little trick of Uncle Michael's).
Just wanted to know about BMI Baby!! (Although their charges are fast approaching the above!!)
And before the usual 'suspects' all start, I fly with whoever happens to be cheapest and NO, IT USUALLY ISN'T RYANAIR!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:03 am

Hi tjtops,
You could always send car parts by parcel post................I've used this one...........

http://www.interparcel.com/quote/courier-quote1.php
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:25 am

Mm......thanks for the suggestion Enrique....I looked that up but sadly it's too dear!!! (Plus I'm still slightly nervous of sending parcels to a PO box cos half the time they try and deliver when the shop is closed!!!)
So back to the packing, sadly!!! (Its not a large box, but weighs 2.7 kgs which to a woman with clothes is a huge amount :lol: )
Thanks again.,...

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:05 pm

They didn't weigh ours, we flew East Midlands to Malaga recently with bmibaby, but I imagine it probably is down to the staff on the day. Good luck!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:09 pm

There are never scales at the departure gate - only at the check in desk.

At departure gate they just ask you to fit your bag in their sizing frame.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 pm

ashtondav wrote:There are never scales at the departure gate - only at the check in desk.
That is not true.

A couple of months ago at Valencia Airport I saw Ryanair staff dragged a weighing machine to a queue at the departure gate, first everyone who passed them had their bags weighed and were forced to put handbags duty free food etc into the one bag. Nearer the desk they then had to put case into bag sizer. Loads of people then had to pay 30 euros to put case in hold, trouble is the queue was long, people started getting v.angry but in the end the last 20 or 30 passengers were hastily cleared through the gate and had to run to the plane thus avoiding the luggage nazis.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Although it was not a trip to Spain, my hand luggage was "measured" at the gate at Liverpool and on the return leg was weighed at the gate at Krakow.

I bought a small weighing "hook" which cost £2.99 that also has a tape measure in it which I always take away with me and carry in my pocket to ensure I always keep within the regulations with regard to weight.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 pm

ashtondav wrote:There are never scales at the departure gate - only at the check in desk.

At departure gate they just ask you to fit your bag in their sizing frame.
Afraid not Ashtondav. I have had mine WEIGHED at Prestwick at the gate. Electronic scales were positioned there specifically for that purpose, and used.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm

I will confirm that on the four flights taken in the last week, three had scales at the boarding gate.

ScamBuster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ScamBuster » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Are you sure they were scales? Airports normally use analytical balances which notoriously have unparalleled weighing performance and offer greater reliability over traditional spring resistance scales.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:50 pm

At the risk of over-generalising, I've found that usually, the actual gates are concerned with size (and number of 'hand bags') rather than weight; this seems to be down to the check-in staff, although what they do with peeps who have bought 'shop purchases'; which then take them over the weight is problematical, to say the least! I fly to/from various different UK airports and use various airlines (Easyjet coming out on top, usually!!) and all seem to have their own policies......

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:03 am

Campo Steve wrote:Cabin baggage rules. 1 bag, max weight, max dimensions. It doesn't get any simpler.
That doesn't work with all airlines though! :lol:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -levy.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am

Makes a change for a complaint about a budget airline to be about an airline other than Ryanair.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am

Certainly does....but BMI have been creeping up the 'charging' scale for a while now...almost rivalling you-know-who! :lol:
Cabin baggage rules. 1 bag, max weight, max dimensions. It doesn't get any simpler.
And actually...it's not that simple!! Some allow a 'booze' bag as well...others insist it goes inside the 'one bag'...... :crazy:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:52 pm

The thread is about Ryanair, and their rules are simple.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:45 pm

So they are..but just to clarify...BMIBaby allows a 'booze' bag -- ie shop carrier bag from the airport in addition to cabin bag -- as does Easyjet....Ryanair doesn't!!!

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 pm

To right................... the woman at Ryanair wouldn't let me through carrying a bottle of water. Had to squash it in my hand luggage.

Just watched Watchdog about BMI & their bag size checker. Wouldn't be surprised if Ryanair were up to the same thing!!!