Nerja...... Is it worth a visit ?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Nerja...... Is it worth a visit ?

Postby AndyT » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm

IreneD wrote:Did you discover the Balcon de Europa, AndyT?
Of course! Aside from the caves, isn´t it the only real reason to go into the town anyway? Unfortunately I don´t really think a viewpoint looking out to sea, swamped in tourists and surrounded by expensive bars & restaurants is much reason to make a special trip. We´re good wanderers and tend to always seek out the best parts of towns and cities trying to get away from the tourist tat - unfortunately we failed miserably in Nerja.

Each to their own though, didn´t do it for me but obviously has appeal for many

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm

surrounded by expensive bars & restaurants
I don't know where you went but there are prices in Nerja catering for all budgets.
Dave

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi Andy - thanks for reply. I guess I'm a tourist so don't mind being around other tourists - lol! I know what you mean, though. Have a wander round Canillas de Aceituno if you get chance. Its not touristy at all, I think you'd like it.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

If you would like a view of Nerja and Frigiliana with a bit of el Generalife thrown in, then take a look this beautiful Irish lady singing her way across the beaches and streets of Nerja and Frigiliana. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CiC2wdt9d0
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 am

If you go to any town in Spain,at certain times of the day you will see people in the streets walking, having a drink, at the weekends going out for dinner, You will see shops selling tat(By this I assume you mean the chinese shops). People live in high rises, It's quite unusual for the Spanish to live in houses.
Nerja, for me is a typical Andalucian seaside village, It has it's old part and it's new part just like every village,town or city in Spain.
I come from London and if you visit Brixton and don't move from there, your opinion will be different to visiting the West End, and even then shopping in the east part of Oxford street is not the same as shopping in Bond Street or Soho or Camden Town for that matter.
Nerja is just one aspect of Andalucia and Spain for that matter. If you don't like it fine but what gets me is if you're a tourist that prefers what towns such as Nerja offer, for some reason youy're deemed as being second class.
When I visit a place I like to observe the people. In Nerja or many Spanish villages walk along the narrow streets with houses. Look at the way the locals live, eg I love seeing the women of the village sat outside their houses, when the day has cooled, gossipping with each other. Every Spanish town has an indoor food market. Sitting outside a bar relaxing watching the the world go by is a pleasant experience.
I'm not saying that I could do that on every holiday or every day of my holiday but I have to say I find all aspects of Spain interesting.
Parking in any town in Spain is nearly always a nightmare because people live in flats which mean more cars in a confined area

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:58 pm

That's a pretty good summation, Mark.

We've holidayed in various places over the years, some cheap packages and some more exotic (and expensive!) but we find that our bolthole in Torreblanca suits us down to the ground - except the wife can't stand the heat in July and August!!

We have everything we need in close proximity and we do take the opportunity to get out and about and see a bit more of Spain than, I suspect, most tourists do.

We are unlikely to "move" to Spain on a permanent basis but being able to visit our second home with friends and family is something I enjoy.