Huelva/Cadiz coast - what's open start of May?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
boulevard

Huelva/Cadiz coast - what's open start of May?

Postby boulevard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 pm

I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice. My husband and i are thinking of hiring a villa with pool for ten days at the start of May, (week after next), however I am not sure what will be open that early in the season.

The weather looks slightly better in Huelva Province therefore i was thinking of El Portil or Rompido but as they are quite small I am unsure as to whether anything is open. Would elsewhere in the region be better?

Alternatively in Cadiz province around Conil I have come accross Roche, and La Barossa.

Our requirements are to be within walking distance of a beach and a couple of restaurants, tapas bars, maybe a bar or 2, within 20 minutes. We would prefer somewhere relatively unspoilt. Language is not a problem as we can speak Spanish relatively well.

We are more than willing to take taxis in the evening to slightly larger towns but I know that they are something of a rarity out of season.

I have already visited Andalucia.com for information about the towns, but just wanted some local help.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Huelva/Cadiz coast - what's open start of May?

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 pm

I find this rather a strange question. Of course cities,towns and villages are 'open' in May-people live there all the year round! If you mean are public swimming pools open-no they don't usually open til end of June. But shops,most restaurants, banks, cafes, beaches are open all the year round! They may be quieter at this time of year of course-less tourists. We went to Vejer on the Costa de la Luz in January one year and there was plenty open, likewise Sanlucar and Puerto de Santa Maria near Cadiz.

boulevard

Postby boulevard » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I completely understand that towns will be 'open'. Evidently I was being vague and therefore I apologise for the misleading question.
I was refering to the small predominately residential villages geared towards tourists which have restuarants and beach bars such as El Portil in Huelva province and Roche in the Cadiz district. I have visited similar sized 'villages' in other regions where the restuarants only open in mid to high season.
Thanks once again for your reply.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:00 pm

As a part time resident of Chiclana, I can assure you there is lots to do in or out of season, you just need to visit the tourist office and ask what's going on!

We have live music bars catering for all age groups not just the youngsters (excellent music). In May there is the Feria del Caballo in Jerez a week of partying, & even if you are not an equestrian fan, the spectacle and atmosphere are wonderful. In June we have our own Chiclana Feria, again a great place to be.

Pretty much all bars and restaurants remain open year round, especially those on the beach front at La Barrosa and there is a great atmosphere down there, with street vendors selling their wares and families out for a day at the sea. If the sun shines, everyone gets down there, year round.

Of course there will be one or two things that are only available during the summer season but earlier on, the sea is warmer than the swimming pools so nothing lost there.

You can visit the sherry bodegas in Jerez, take a stroll around the old historic part of Cadiz, shop in the malls.

You can take walks in Barrosa Park or along the coastal path at Roche. You can play golf at the numerous courses in the province, you can hire quad bikes, bicycles, go horse riding on the beach, play tennis and padel. You can visit the Donana National Park, the white villages of Vejer and Medina Sidonia, have a day In Gibraltar.

If I've missed anything, please ask, I can even recommend a beautiful villa.